Growl broke again in 10.6.2

steve

Nov 9, 2009, 5:00:44 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
Wouldn't you know it? As soon as Apple update the system to 10.6.2,
Growl Mail once again broke. Any fix for this problem?

elspub

Nov 9, 2009, 5:17:56 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
it's just GrowlMail that's broke. (the title of your post suggests
otherwise)...

Xiaoyu

Nov 9, 2009, 5:20:37 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
I notice the growl mail is broken now.

cecemf

Nov 9, 2009, 5:20:26 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
Mail as been updated from 4.1 to 4.2 in 10.6.2 and Mail at start up
says that the plug in is not compatible and will be turn off.

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 9, 2009, 5:45:17 PM11/9/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
It will remain that way until we put out another version of GrowlMail to address it.

It will be like this probably every single version of 10.6 folks.

Chris

Xiaoyu

Nov 9, 2009, 5:49:58 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
Thanks Chris for working such hard on solving this.

elspub

Nov 9, 2009, 5:51:38 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss

> It will be like this probably every single version of 10.6 folks.

Is that because GrowlMail is a bit of a hack? Or because Apple keeps
changing Mail plug-in APIs?
Letterbox ( http://is.gd/4RfHi ) still works.

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 9, 2009, 5:52:25 PM11/9/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
It's mostly our developers that are going to be working on it. I just respond to emails nowadays and make sure everyone knows what's going on. :)

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 9, 2009, 6:15:07 PM11/9/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
There isn't a documented mail plugin api. All mail plugins are technically hacks, albeit the api's have been there for forever.

They (the devs of that plugin) likely put out a version of their beta that had the updated stuff for 10.6.2 prior to 10.6.2 being out. We have to be careful about crashing mail in case they do anything internally and test on final releases of 10.6.x.

C. Hearn

Nov 9, 2009, 6:34:00 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
Is there a beta we can try?

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 9, 2009, 6:59:35 PM11/9/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Not at this time.

Michelle Gill

Nov 9, 2009, 9:45:20 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
I was able to fix this on the 10.6.2 update by adding the following
UUIDs to the Info.plist file located in GrowlMail.mailbundle/
Contents :
2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F
0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745

Make sure the bundle is in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles (and not "Bundles
(Disabled)") then quit and restart mail. Works fine for me now.

Cheers,
Michelle Gill

Apologies if this ends up being a double post. Doesn't appear my last
email sent...

On Nov 9, 6:59 pm, Christopher Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
> Not at this time.
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, C. Hearn <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a beta we can try?

Michelle Gill

Nov 9, 2009, 9:39:48 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
I have Growl Mail (via Growl 1.2) working fine on 10.6.2. You have to
add the following two UUID's to the Info.plist file in
GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist:

2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F
0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745

Make sure the bundle is in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles (and not "Bundles
(Disabled)") and quit mail and restart. Seems to be working for me.

Cheers,

Michelle Gill

On Nov 9, 6:59 pm, Christopher Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
> Not at this time.
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, C. Hearn <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a beta we can try?

Chris Forsythe

Nov 9, 2009, 9:56:54 PM11/9/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
We also have to make sure they didn't change anything else. But that's
likely all that we'll be doing is changing the UUID.

Chris

david toub

Nov 9, 2009, 10:01:21 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss, michelle....@gmail.com
Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I added in the two strings,
replaced GM in the Bundles folder and restarted Mail. GM was disabled
again. Any ideas? Thanks.

MacPaladin

Nov 9, 2009, 9:57:49 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
Worked like a charm, thanks Michelle ;-)

Michelle Gill

Nov 9, 2009, 10:06:09 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss, david toub
Worked for several of my colleagues and myself. Also worked for two other mail plugins (DEVONThink and MailTags). Sorry, don't know what to tell you!

Good luck!

Michael A. Levin

Nov 9, 2009, 10:16:16 PM11/9/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Michelle,

Worked for me, I sent myself an email and was notified immediately.

Thank you

Xiaoyu

Nov 9, 2009, 10:22:25 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
This works great!!
Thanks very much!! :)

Cheers,
Xiaoyu

david toub

Nov 9, 2009, 10:25:09 PM11/9/09
to Growl Discuss
Here's the last portion of my revised info.plist file with the two new
strings. The error is obvious-when I pasted the strings in, spaces
were introduced at the end. Works great now after I removed the
accidental spaces-thanks very much!

<key>SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs</key>
<array>
<string>B3F3FC72-315D-4323-BE85-7AB76090224D</string>
<string>225E0A48-2CDB-44A6-8D99-A9BB8AF6BA04</string>
<string>99BB3782-6C16-4C6F-B910-25ED1C1CB38B</string>
<string>2610F061-32C6-4C6B-B90A-7A3102F9B9C8</string>
<string>2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F </string>
<string>0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745 </string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

On Nov 9, 10:06 pm, Michelle Gill <michelle.lynn.g...@gmail.com>

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 12:22:24 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
http://groups.google.com/group/growldiscuss/web/GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip

I've uploaded a working bundle for anyone who wants it. There's the
link. Unzip it and put the folder GrowlMail.mailbundle in /Users/~/
Library/Mail/Bundles

Enjoy!

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 12:17:04 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
The reason for Mail plugins breaking so often in Snow Leopard is this:
In Mail 4.0 or higher (Snow Leopard starts at 4.0) is started, it
scans all plugins for compatibility information. If it detects a
plugin from an older version of Mail (in this case, a plugin for 4.1
trying to run in 4.2) it is automatically disables the plugin, even if
it works just fine. Each plugin must explicitly tell Mail that the
plugin is made for that EXACT version of Mail. So every time Mail is
updated, all Mail plugins must be updated as well to explicitly state
that they work with the new version of Mail.

Yes, I know, that's dumb. But that's the way it is and we're stuck
with it. A quick change to the GrowlMail plugin to tell Mail that it
is compatible is all that's needed unless more problems or
incompatibilities arise after that (not that we'd be able to find the
problems before the compatibility update because the plugin won't run
in Mail 4.2, so we can't bugtest). It's a backwards way of doing
things. An update can be done for GrowlMail tonight and work just fine.

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 12:24:01 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Oops, sorry, accidentally marked the above comment from david toub as
spam! Got to watch where I'm clicking! Apologies David!

Peter Hosey

Nov 10, 2009, 2:45:50 AM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 9, 2009, at 21:17:04, Mike wrote:
> Each plugin must explicitly tell Mail that the plugin is made for
> that EXACT version of Mail.

Since this is not the first time anyone has had to explain this, and
probably will not be the last, I've added the relevant information to
our FAQ:

http://growl.info/documentation/faq.php#growlmail-and-snow-leopard

gs-dk

Nov 10, 2009, 2:57:06 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Thanks a LOT - it really works!

Peter Griffin

Nov 10, 2009, 6:40:10 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
This worked perfectly. Thanks Mike.

Chris Forsythe

Nov 10, 2009, 8:10:26 AM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Please do not post things like this. Posting the UUID strings is one
thing, however we don't know if anything else in Mail changed.

Sina

Nov 10, 2009, 8:08:33 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
You have to put the strings in separate lines
which looks like this.
<string>2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F</sting>
<string>0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745</string>

Sina

C. Hearn

Nov 10, 2009, 8:25:27 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Very cool! How did you determine what the correct UUID's are?

MarkHuss

Nov 10, 2009, 9:56:19 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Brilliant!

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 9:30:44 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Very good.

gnyffe

Nov 10, 2009, 9:48:48 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
It worked for me too, great job. :-)

>>Very cool! How did you determine what the correct UUID's are? <<

Yes how did you do that ?

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 9:30:19 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Not a problem! As pointed out in another discussion, this is an
unofficial "update" and is not supported by the growl team!

Peter Hosey

Nov 10, 2009, 10:19:30 AM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 10, 2009, at 05:25:27, C. Hearn wrote:
> How did you determine what the correct UUID's are?

They're given in the Info.plists of both Mail and the Message framework.

However, you can't be sure that a plug-in that worked with Mail 4.1
will work with Mail 4.2. Everyone who's tried it so far, and who did
the same after 10.6.1 came out, has been lucky. The very reason Apple
added this check is that they may change the way Mail works in any way
at any time. You cannot predict what will result from that.

GrowlMail is very paranoid about things in Mail changing, and will
shut itself off (as much as it can) if it detects any change. (This is
assuming you made it pass Mail's check.) But many other Mail plug-ins
are not so careful (GrowlMail wasn't, either, originally), and even we
can't predict every possible failure point.

Sometime this week, I'll turn Time Machine back on, then install
10.6.2, apply the UUID changes, and see what happens.

Sander

Nov 10, 2009, 11:07:44 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Thank you!

Mo Jo

Nov 10, 2009, 11:26:09 AM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
GrowlMail is now working under 10.6.2., but I am still getting the
error message about an incompatible plug-in when starting Mail. How
can I get rid of that?

Peter Hosey

Nov 10, 2009, 11:43:15 AM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 10, 2009, at 08:26:09, Mo Jo wrote:
> GrowlMail is now working under 10.6.2., but I am still getting the
> error message about an incompatible plug-in when starting Mail. How
> can I get rid of that?

Run the “Uninstall GrowlMail” application on the Growl disk image.

Chienloup

Nov 10, 2009, 1:33:20 PM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Mail and Message :)

On Nov 9, 11:17 pm, elspub <els...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it's just GrowlMail that's broke. (the title of your post suggests
> otherwise)...

dyer

Nov 10, 2009, 4:49:07 PM11/10/09
to Growl Discuss
Perhaps I am missing something,
I am trying to get growl working again but it just crashes system
preferences and then the dock …
Tried to find a relevant topic to no avail.
any ideas?

Jean-Christophe Mazard

Nov 10, 2009, 5:06:39 PM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Sorry but no but if preferences system crash, i think you're in trouble
I'm searching all over the forum too
Good luck

Peter Hosey

Nov 10, 2009, 10:52:01 PM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On 2009-11-10, at 13:49, dyer wrote:
> I am trying to get growl working again but it just crashes system
> preferences and then the dock …

Please post both crash logs.

Peter Hosey

Nov 10, 2009, 10:57:43 PM11/10/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On 2009-11-10, at 10:33, Chienloup wrote:
> On Nov 9, 11:17 pm, elspub <els...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> it's just GrowlMail that's broke. (the title of your post suggests
>> otherwise)...
>
> Mail and Message :)

Those aren't broken; they're working as intended. Apple intentionally
changes the plug-in compatibility UUIDs with every new version of Mac
OS X. While annoying, it is not a bug.

Dave G

Nov 11, 2009, 5:54:15 AM11/11/09
to Growl Discuss
Another thnks from me. Growl Mail is working again for me.

Hnery

Nov 12, 2009, 5:08:23 AM11/12/09
to Growl Discuss
Ther's an extra space in you're last string (after the last number) :D
The space is counted as an character too.

.H

James Comas

Nov 13, 2009, 8:30:43 AM11/13/09
to Growl Discuss
Thanks, Michelle.

On Nov 9, 8:45 pm, Michelle Gill <michelle.lynn.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to fix this on the10.6.2update by adding the following
> UUIDs to the Info.plist file located inGrowlMail.mailbundle/
> Contents :
> 2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F
> 0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745
>
> Make sure the bundle is in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles (and not "Bundles
> (Disabled)") then quit and restart mail. Works fine for me now.
>
> Cheers,
> Michelle Gill
>
> Apologies if this ends up being a double post. Doesn't appear my last
> email sent...
>
> On Nov 9, 6:59 pm, Christopher Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
>

> > Not at this time.
>
> > On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, C. Hearn <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is there a beta we can try?

> > > technically

> > > that

eykanal

Nov 13, 2009, 1:18:33 PM11/13/09
to Growl Discuss
Isn't this the sort of thing which you can pre-emptively fix using the
developer's release of each point update? Shouldn't those releases
contain the new version of mail, along with the updated UUIDs?

Jon Thompson

Nov 13, 2009, 7:37:08 PM11/13/09
to Growl Discuss
My question is this.. How did you get the second UUID that you have
listed? I've found the first one in Mail.app, but the second has
eluded me.

On Nov 9, 8:45 pm, Michelle Gill <michelle.lynn.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to fix this on the 10.6.2 update by adding the following
> UUIDs to the Info.plist file located in GrowlMail.mailbundle/
> Contents :
> 2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F
> 0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745
>
> Make sure the bundle is in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles (and not "Bundles
> (Disabled)") then quit and restart mail. Works fine for me now.
>
> Cheers,
> Michelle Gill
>
> Apologies if this ends up being a double post. Doesn't appear my last
> email sent...
>
> On Nov 9, 6:59 pm, Christopher Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
>

> > Not at this time.
>
> > On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, C. Hearn <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is there a beta we can try?

> > > technically

> > > that

Peter Hosey

Nov 14, 2009, 1:55:42 AM11/14/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 13, 2009, at 16:37:08, Jon Thompson wrote:
> My question is this.. How did you get the second UUID that you have
> listed? I've found the first one in Mail.app, but the second has
> eluded me.

It's in Message.framework.

Peter Hosey

Nov 14, 2009, 2:00:49 AM11/14/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:18:33, eykanal wrote:
> Isn't this the sort of thing which you can pre-emptively fix using
> the developer's release of each point update? Shouldn't those
> releases contain the new version of mail, along with the updated
> UUIDs?

Only Rudy has seed access, and he didn't get to it in time this time.
I'm not even sure that there was a seed (although I obviously wouldn't
know).

Even then, we can't really put in the UUID in our public source code
until it goes final, for two reasons:

1. They may make more changes between the seed and the final release,
and change the UUID in the final release for that reason.
2. The seed, and everything in it, is covered by an NDA, which we
would be breaking by putting the UUID into our public source code.

Rudy Richter

Nov 14, 2009, 6:54:58 PM11/14/09
to Growl Discuss
Actually, I committed it 4 weeks ago.

http://growl.info/hg/growl-development/rev/f07c11f9c0d5

-rudy

Peter Hosey

Nov 14, 2009, 7:12:01 PM11/14/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 14, 2009, at 15:54:58, Rudy Richter wrote:
> Actually, I committed it 4 weeks ago.
>
> http://growl.info/hg/growl-development/rev/f07c11f9c0d5

Now that I see it, that does look familiar. Sorry about that.

So, how's it working on released 10.6.2?

Andrew Wilson

Nov 17, 2009, 2:13:32 AM11/17/09
to Growl Discuss
Sorry about being impatient

I have been using growl for a long time, but I am too computer
illiterate to change the code or whatever the hell it is Michelle has
been posting about. I was hoping Christopher could give us an idea of
when growl will be coming out with an update that will fix the mail
bug in the most recent version of OSX that came out. I have been
following this discussion since it broke two weeks ago. Any kind of
estimate would really be appreciated.

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 17, 2009, 10:24:50 AM11/17/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Currently it's in testing. We typically don't get eta's on things we're testing. We're likely to have an update out before Christmas though.

Chris

Mike

Nov 17, 2009, 6:27:11 PM11/17/09
to Growl Discuss
There's an update here that you can use until the official version
comes out. I haven't had a problem with it yet (and I don't think
anyone has)

http://growldiscuss.googlegroups.com/web/GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip?gda=AlULU0oAAACB8rbRhknea294mdjetxc4SJjIkxAXd80jO3o31c2xAdS0jG6IpeSAzS5Bh2GpJnR9bt_WcRm82HfATRDZXO1A_e3Wg0GnqfdKOwDqUih1tA

Mo Jo

Nov 21, 2009, 2:32:07 PM11/21/09
to Growl Discuss
It's working. Thanks a lot.

Moiz

Nov 20, 2009, 5:32:20 AM11/20/09
to Growl Discuss
Hi Guys,

Did what you said. Growl is working, and mail does not shift the
bundle back to a disabled folder but I still get the message pop up
when I start up Mail. Is that normal?

On Nov 10, 7:57 am, gs-dk <g...@mail.dk> wrote:
> Thanks a LOT - it really works!
>
> On 10 Nov., 06:22, Mike <m...@mcse7en.com> wrote:
>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/growldiscuss/web/GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip
>
> > I've uploaded a working bundle for anyone who wants it. There's the
> > link. Unzip it and put the folderGrowlMail.mailbundle in /Users/~/
> > Library/Mail/Bundles
>
> > Enjoy!
>
> > On Nov 9, 10:25 pm, david toub <dbt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Here's the last portion of my revised info.plist file with the two new
> > > strings. The error is obvious-when I pasted the strings in, spaces
> > > were introduced at the end. Works great now after I removed the
> > > accidental spaces-thanks very much!
>
> > >         <key>SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs</key>
> > >         <array>
> > >                 <string>B3F3FC72-315D-4323-BE85-7AB76090224D</string>
> > >                 <string>225E0A48-2CDB-44A6-8D99-A9BB8AF6BA04</string>
> > >                 <string>99BB3782-6C16-4C6F-B910-25ED1C1CB38B</string>
> > >                 <string>2610F061-32C6-4C6B-B90A-7A3102F9B9C8</string>
> > >                 <string>2F0CF6F9-35BA-4812-9CB2-155C0FDB9B0F </string>
> > >                 <string>0CB5F2A0-A173-4809-86E3-9317261F1745  </string>
> > >         </array>
> > > </dict>
> > > </plist>

Reflections by the Hill

Dec 28, 2009, 11:47:30 AM12/28/09
to Growl Discuss
Excellent!! Thanks for the info Michelle. That did the trick. Yes,
you have to remember to move GrowlMail.mailbundle from Bundle(disable)
to Bundle.

Thanks,

Calvin Hill

wrote:
> Worked for several of my colleagues and myself. Also worked for two other mail plugins (DEVONThink and MailTags). Sorry, don't know what to tell you!
>
> Good luck!
>
> On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:01 PM, david toub wrote:
>

> > Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I added in the two strings,
> > replaced GM in the Bundles folder and restarted Mail. GM was disabled
> > again. Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> > On Nov 9, 9:39 pm, Michelle Gill <michelle.lynn.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have Growl Mail (via Growl 1.2) working fine on 10.6.2. You have to

Peter Hosey

Dec 28, 2009, 5:31:19 PM12/28/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 20, 2009, at 02:32:20, Moiz wrote:
> Growl is working, …

It always was. The problem is with GrowlMail.

> … and mail does not shift the bundle back to a disabled folder but I

> still get the message pop up when I start up Mail. Is that normal?

You have two copies of GrowlMail installed. Run the Uninstall
GrowlMail app, then install 1.2.1.

http://growl.info/growlmail

I'm going to go delete the GrowlMail Mike uploaded, since we now have
an official release that does the same thing.

Peter Hosey

Dec 28, 2009, 5:32:35 PM12/28/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 28, 2009, at 08:47:30, Reflections by the Hill wrote:
> Thanks for the info Michelle. That did the trick.

There is no reason to do this hackery anymore. Use GrowlMail 1.2.1
instead:

http://growl.info/growlmail