Growl 1.2 pre-beta builds

Peter Hosey

Aug 29, 2009, 8:45:52 AM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Since GrowlSafari is taking extra long to make ready for the real
1.2b1, I'm going to post some **pre-beta** builds of Growl and
GrowlMail 1.2b1.

Here's the first one:

http://growl.googlecode.com/files/Growl-1.2b1-88cb8adf89cc.zip

The source code for this is the Growl stable repository[1] as of
revision 88cb8adf89cc.

GrowlMail is next. I'm going to go reboot into Snow Leopard so I can
build it. I'll post the link when that's done.

[1]: http://growl.info/hg/growl

Peter Hosey

Aug 29, 2009, 8:59:01 AM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 29, 2009, at 05:45:52, Peter Hosey wrote:
> GrowlMail is next. I'm going to go reboot into Snow Leopard so I can
> build it. I'll post the link when that's done.

And we're back.

http://growl.googlecode.com/files/GrowlMail-1.2b1-88cb8adf89cc.zip

Again, these are not the final Growl 1.2b1—that will be a regular
beta on the beta page. These are pre-beta builds to get these
components some extra testing while we get GrowlSafari working.

In case you're wondering about HardwareGrowler and GrowlTunes: They
haven't changed since 1.1.6, so there's no point re-testing them.

Also, no localization changes. This release is late enough as it is.
The localizations that a few people have submitted based on 1.1.6 will
probably go into 1.2.1.

elldove

Aug 29, 2009, 2:17:18 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
seems to work just fine. i don't use growtunes (I use Quicksilver for
itunes notices).

thanks for the speedy update.

here's everything in my console filtered for growl (the multiclutch
issues are not growl's bugs...):
8/29/09 1:43:49 PM GrowlHelperApp[67897] Can't open input server /
Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
8/29/09 1:43:50 PM Evernote[67318] GrowlApplicationBridge: exception
while sending notification: connection went invalid while waiting for
a reply
8/29/09 1:44:00 PM GrowlHelperApp[67905] Can't open input server /
Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
8/29/09 1:44:01 PM GrowlMenu[67906] Can't open input server /Library/
InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
8/29/09 1:51:06 PM Mail[67994] Using Growl.framework 1.2b1 (1.2b1)
8/29/09 1:51:06 PM Mail[67994] Loaded GrowlMail 1.2b1
8/29/09 1:57:40 PM GrowlTunes[68040] Can't open input server /Library/
InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
8/29/09 2:03:28 PM GrowlHelperApp[68077] Can't open input server /
Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
8/29/09 2:04:18 PM GrowlHelperApp[68081] Can't open input server /
Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
8/29/09 2:09:17 PM System Preferences[68130] Could not connect the
action colorChanged: to target of class GrowliCalPrefsController
8/29/09 2:15:21 PM GrowlMenu[67906]
__CFServiceControllerBeginPBSLoadForLocalizations timed out while
talking to pbs
8/29/09 2:15:21 PM GrowlHelperApp[68081]
__CFServiceControllerBeginPBSLoadForLocalizations timed out while
talking to pbs

Chris Forsythe

Aug 29, 2009, 2:23:55 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Can you test growltunes anyhow to see if it works too? That'd be a big
help.

Chris

elldove

Aug 29, 2009, 2:42:48 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
Sure. I'll turn that on for testing. Also, just booted into 64 bit
kernel mode, and growl runs fine so far. When receiving an email the
first time after reboot, the console shows this:
8/29/09 2:35:37 PM Mail[256] Using Growl.framework 1.2b1 (1.2b1)
8/29/09 2:35:37 PM Mail[256] Loaded GrowlMail 1.2b1
other than that it is quiet.

Nice work.

elldove

Aug 29, 2009, 2:53:44 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
It works. I'll update if any issues come up. but so far, I've gotten
notifications from
growlTunes
Quicksilver
GrowlMail
Evernote
Adium
Transmission
NetNewswire
Dropbox

And no bugs or issues.

Rudy Richter

Aug 29, 2009, 3:00:07 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
erm, you shouldn't need to reboot to test growl in 64-bit. if your CPU
is a core2duo it will run userland processes in 64-bit mode on top of
the default 32-bit kernel.

this is a misconception being spread by the truly uninformed
arstechnica/tuaw bloggers. The fact is you can run 64-bit Growl on a
Core2Duo mac running Leopard.

-rudy

Gary L. Gray

Aug 29, 2009, 3:39:40 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Everything but one item is working ok for me too. TimeMachineGrowler
isn't posting notifications and it is also spiking the CPU every 7-9
seconds. It's got my fan going a pretty good clip.

I am not seeing anything growl related in the console.

Any thoughts? I am going to kill TimeMachineGrowler for now.

-- Gary

Peter Hosey

Aug 29, 2009, 3:41:47 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 29, 2009, at 12:39:40, Gary L. Gray wrote:
> TimeMachineGrowler isn't posting notifications and it is also
> spiking the CPU every 7-9 seconds. It's got my fan going a pretty
> good clip.

More like every ten seconds. That's how often it polls the log.

Has Time Machine actually done a back-up? What if you start one
manually, then wait at least 20 seconds, then cancel it?

Gary L. Gray

Aug 29, 2009, 3:49:44 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com

Just ran TMG and started a backup -- nothing from Growl. I then waited
about 45 seconds and stopped it. Still nothing.

I need to quit TMG again since my fans are going nuts. :-)

-- Gary

Gary L. Gray

Aug 29, 2009, 3:57:18 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
I am hoping we can get TMG to work on my machine -- it would be
awesome to have Growl notifications for TS.

-- Gary

Peter Hosey

Aug 29, 2009, 4:03:47 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 29, 2009, at 12:49:44, Gary L. Gray wrote:
> Just ran TMG and started a backup -- nothing from Growl. I then
> waited about 45 seconds and stopped it. Still nothing.

Huh.

I haven't tried TMG on Snow Leopard yet (last time I turned on Time
Machine after an OS reinstall, it wiped away all my old back-ups). One
possibility is that they changed the log message formats.

elldove

Aug 29, 2009, 4:08:51 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
I know that. I just don't know enough about growl to know whether it
uses a kext or plugin or any other type of hook into the OS that
running in 64 bit kernel mode might affect growl. Since we're testing
out growl I thought I'd check and report...

Peter Hosey

Aug 29, 2009, 4:09:56 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 29, 2009, at 13:08:51, elldove wrote:
> I just don't know enough about growl to know whether it uses a kext
> or plugin or any other type of hook into the OS that running in 64
> bit kernel mode might affect growl.

Nope. It's entirely user-land.

TheLink

Aug 29, 2009, 4:41:53 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
GrowlMail doesn't seem to obey the "stay on screen on inactivity"
option in the Growl Prefpane of System Preferences.

Gary L. Gray

Aug 29, 2009, 5:53:40 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com

If you update it, let us know and I will give it a try.

Thank you for all your efforts.

All the best,
Gary

Laurent Daudelin

Aug 29, 2009, 6:05:43 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Anybody can recommend something similar to Growl iChat but that will work under Snow Leopard? Trying to open the tool preferences in System Preferences crashes System Preferences and as soon as one person leaves or enters iChat, Growl iChat starts displaying notifications over and over, even for people that have been offline.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin
AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin  http://nemesys.dyndns.org

Gary L. Gray

Aug 29, 2009, 6:17:35 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 29, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> Anybody can recommend something similar to Growl iChat but that will
> work under Snow Leopard? Trying to open the tool preferences in
> System Preferences crashes System Preferences and as soon as one
> person leaves or enters iChat, Growl iChat starts displaying
> notifications over and over, even for people that have been offline.
>
> Suggestions?

There is a new version of Chax that supports Growl and SL.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20056/chax

-- Gary

Laurent Daudelin

Aug 29, 2009, 6:22:11 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Thanks but as I understand it, it completely replaces iChat? Not sure I want to do that...

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin
AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin  http://nemesys.dyndns.org
Logiciels Nemesys Software               laurent....@gmail.com

Gary L. Gray

Aug 29, 2009, 6:28:31 PM8/29/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 29, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> Thanks but as I understand it, it completely replaces iChat? Not
> sure I want to do that...

You run Chax as if you are running iChat -- my guess is that Chax is
essentially running iChat but is patching its code into it on each
launch. I tried it and it sure looks to be running iChat.

-- Gary

Rudy Richter

Aug 29, 2009, 6:38:18 PM8/29/09
to Growl Discuss
That's exactly what its doing, you can't throw iChat.app in the trash.

vdubgeek

Aug 30, 2009, 4:33:39 PM8/30/09
to Growl Discuss
I took a look at the source for TimeMachineGrowler, and found that it
wasn't parsing the system log correctly. Perhaps this is a change
with Snow Leopard? TimeMachineGrowler is looking for "/System/Library/
CoreServices/backupd", but needs to be changed to
"com.apple.backupd". Once I made this change, time machine
notifications resumed

Gary L. Gray

Aug 30, 2009, 5:43:36 PM8/30/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Would you mind posting your binary? I haven't yet installed Xcode and
I left my Snow Leopard DVD at the office. :-(

Thank you!

-- Gary

Chris Forsythe

Aug 30, 2009, 6:07:55 PM8/30/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Or hold off and let's see about whether this is actually the case, and
if so, put it into 1.2 since it's 10.6 compatibility.

Chris

Gary L. Gray

Aug 30, 2009, 7:16:59 PM8/30/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
That works for me, though I am excited about getting it working to
monitor TS. :-)

-- Gary

Dan

Aug 31, 2009, 10:34:21 AM8/31/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
At 5:45 AM -0700 8/29/2009, Peter Hosey wrote:
>Since GrowlSafari is taking extra long to make ready for the real
>1.2b1, I'm going to post some **pre-beta** builds of Growl and
>GrowlMail 1.2b1.
>Here's the first one:
>http://growl.googlecode.com/files/Growl-1.2b1-88cb8adf89cc.zip

Installed 1.2b1. The installer ran fine, and left me with System
Preferences open. I clicked on Growl. After a few seconds, things
crashed.

Console.log and system.log both sayeth:
Aug 31 10:00:04 dans-smurftower crashdump[474]: GrowlHelperApp crashed
Aug 31 10:00:08 dans-smurftower crashdump[474]: crash report written
to: /Users/dan/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/GrowlHelperApp.crash.log
Aug 31 10:00:13 dans-smurftower crashdump[480]: System Preferences crashed
Aug 31 10:00:15 dans-smurftower crashdump[480]: crash report written
to: /Users/dan/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/System Preferences.crash.log

Nothing was added to growl.log during this period.

The crash logs be here:
<http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/610326/Growl%20pre-1.2b1%20crash.zip>

300-MHz Smurf, OS X 10.4.11, fully updated.

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

Rudy Richter

Aug 31, 2009, 11:15:17 AM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
We'll have to fix that, It shouldn't have let you install. Growl 1.2
is 10.5+.

-rudy

jeffsu

Aug 31, 2009, 12:24:14 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
Running the pre-beta (alpha?) release. I get this when I boot up Mail:

"Mail has disabled the following plug-ins:
GrowlMail
Contact the makers of these plug-ins for versions that are compatible
with Mail 4.0 and Message 4.0."

It's the same message I got before I installed the pre-beta. Except
that the pre-beta works! Any idea how to get that message to stop
popping up?

Also, will 1.2 reinstate the handy shortcut buttons at the bottom of
my growl notifications (read, delete, close window, etc) ?

Thanks guys -- stellar job with the quick turnaround!!

Laurent Daudelin

Aug 31, 2009, 12:53:51 PM8/31/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Have you installed the Growl Mail package from the pre beta? It's a separate package. I did install the pre-beta of Growl and didn't realize it didn't contain the GrowlMail package which is separate. All working fine now for me.

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin
AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin  http://nemesys.dyndns.org
Logiciels Nemesys Software               laurent....@gmail.com

jeffsu

Aug 31, 2009, 1:09:22 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
Just checked... I installed the GrowlMail pre-beta package first...
then the actual pre-beta. Did that twist things up? Still getting the
error message. Is there a way to uninstall all of it and try it again
clean?

On Aug 31, 11:53 am, Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daude...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Have you installed the Growl Mail package from the pre beta? It's a
> separate package. I did install the pre-beta of Growl and didn't
> realize it didn't contain the GrowlMail package which is separate. All
> working fine now for me.
>
> -Laurent.
> --
> Laurent Daudelin
> AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin                                http://nemesys.dyndns.org
> Logiciels Nemesys Software                                              laurent.daude...@gmail.com

Laurent Daudelin

Aug 31, 2009, 1:45:19 PM8/31/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm.. I don't know but I did the opposite and it's working. I did install the Growl package first and then the GrowlMail package and it's been working since.

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin
AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin  http://nemesys.dyndns.org
Logiciels Nemesys Software               laurent....@gmail.com

Rudy Richter

Aug 31, 2009, 2:43:08 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
the order shouldn't matter, my recommendation would be to check in /
Library/Mail/Bundles and ~/Library/Mail/Bundles and remove any copies
of GrowlMail there and start from scratch with the GrowlMail pre-beta
installer.

-rudy

Bob.Jacobson

Aug 31, 2009, 3:53:37 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
Very nice implementation. Seems to work just fine.

Bob

iMatt

Aug 31, 2009, 4:09:23 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
I made this change and it does indeed get TimeMachineGrowler working
again, but it doesn't seem to be parsing the logs properly. It only
gives a notification when the backup finishes and lists the time it
took as being several hours, increasing each time. (6 hours, 10 hours,
13 hours, etc) It looks like it'll take a bit more than the basic
change to fix it. As near as I can tell, it simply doesn't pick up
the started and cancelled log entries. Looking at the log in
Console.app, they haven't changed, so something else must be causing
the issue.

On Aug 30, 4:33 pm, vdubgeek <kcong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a look at the source for TimeMachineGrowler, and found that it
> wasn't parsing the system log correctly.  Perhaps this is a change
> with Snow Leopard?  TimeMachineGrowler is looking for "/System/Library/
> CoreServices/backupd", but needs to be changed to
> "com.apple.backupd".  Once I made this change,timemachine
> notifications resumed
>
> On Aug 29, 2:41 pm, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 29, 2009, at 12:39:40, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
> > > TimeMachineGrowler isn't posting notifications and it is also
> > > spiking the CPU every 7-9 seconds. It's got my fan going a pretty
> > > good clip.
>
> > More like every ten seconds. That's how often it polls the log.
>
> > HasTimeMachineactually done a back-up? What if you start one

Neopfyle

Aug 31, 2009, 4:52:32 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
Thanks Peter I just installed it and it WORKS !! Thanks, I love Growl

On Aug 29, 8:45 am, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
> Since GrowlSafari is taking extra long to make ready for the real
> 1.2b1, I'm going to post some **pre-beta** builds of Growl and
> GrowlMail 1.2b1.
>
> Here's the first one:
>
>        http://growl.googlecode.com/files/Growl-1.2b1-88cb8adf89cc.zip
>
> The source code for this is the Growl stable repository[1] as of
> revision 88cb8adf89cc.
>
> GrowlMail is next. I'm going to go reboot into Snow Leopard so I can
> build it. I'll post the link when that's done.
>
> [1]:http://growl.info/hg/growl

James McDaniel

Aug 31, 2009, 5:14:09 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
On Aug 29, 5:45 am, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
> Since GrowlSafari is taking extra long to make ready for the real
> 1.2b1, I'm going to post some **pre-beta** builds of Growl and
> GrowlMail 1.2b1.
>
> Here's the first one:
>
>        http://growl.googlecode.com/files/Growl-1.2b1-88cb8adf89cc.zip

This beta build seems to be working fine for me on Snow Leopard, I've
been running it all weekend.

James

indiix2

Aug 31, 2009, 10:38:11 PM8/31/09
to Growl Discuss
It doesn't really matter the order. The problem is that the GrowlMail
prebeta ONLY installs for your account. There is no way to install it
for ALL users. However normally the GrowlMail plugin will let you do
this. It seems that Mail.app will load plugins in a priority of ALL
USERS (i.e. /Library) first and then YOUR ACCOUNT (i.e. ~/Library)
second. If you have installed GrowlMail previously to ALL USERS then
Mail.app is grabbing that one first, spitting out the error and then
To fix this go into the two locations mentioned (/LIbrary/Mail/Bundles
and ~/Library/Mail/Bundles) and delete the GrowlMail plugin folder.
After both are deleted then just rerun the GrowlMail prebeta install
(no need to run the one stored in the Growl prebeta extra installs
folder). Hope this helps.

Peter Hosey

Sep 3, 2009, 9:41:23 AM9/3/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On 2009-08-30, at 13:33, vdubgeek wrote:
> I took a look at the source for TimeMachineGrowler, and found that
> it wasn't parsing the system log correctly. Perhaps this is a
> change with Snow Leopard? TimeMachineGrowler is looking for "/
> System/Library/CoreServices/backupd", but needs to be changed to
> "com.apple.backupd". Once I made this change, time machine
> notifications resumed

That is a change in Snow Leopard. Thanks.

Peter Hosey

Sep 3, 2009, 9:48:11 AM9/3/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On 2009-08-31, at 09:24, jeffsu wrote:
> Also, will 1.2 reinstate the handy shortcut buttons at the bottom of
> my growl notifications (read, delete, close window, etc) ?

Growl has never supported such a feature. You must have been using
something other than GrowlMail that provided that.

Peter Hosey

Sep 3, 2009, 9:48:20 AM9/3/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On 2009-08-31, at 10:09, jeffsu wrote:
> Just checked... I installed the GrowlMail pre-beta package first...
> then the actual pre-beta. Did that twist things up?

No. The version of Growl you have doesn't matter (in fact, 1.1.6 will
show notifications just fine on Snow Leopard; the only problem with it
on SL is that opening the prefpane is a minor hassle because it's not
64-bit clean). Only the version of GrowlMail matters.

Derik DeLong

Sep 3, 2009, 10:06:26 AM9/3/09
to growld...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, that would be Mail.appetizer, not Growl.