Growl for Foobar2000 through WIne

Olaf

Jan 29, 2010, 1:50:34 PM1/29/10
to Growl Discuss
I'm using Foobar2000 to play my music via Wine and was wondering if it
would be possible to add Growl support for this?

This isn't a request, more a feasibility question - I'd be willing to
try and get it done but it's been a good few years since I even looked
at coding so I'm just looking for "yes, that would work, it's quite
simple", "yes, but it might be fairly complicated" or "are you mad?
it'll never work, get out of here and take your horrible windows apps
with you!" discussions.

thanks!

Peter Hosey

Jan 29, 2010, 4:27:25 PM1/29/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 29, 2010, at 10:50:34, Olaf wrote:
> I'm using Foobar2000 to play my music via Wine and was wondering if
> it would be possible to add Growl support for this?

Someday.

Currently, Growl (for Mac) and the Growl framework (for Mac
applications only) use Cocoa distributed objects, which is a Mac-only
protocol. (It might work on NeXT machines, too. We've never tested.)

We plan to switch to a newer protocol we've been helping to develop
called GNTP, the Growl Notification Transport Protocol. The goal of
this protocol is to be one that notification systems and applications
on all platforms can use.

Thus, a Windows app will be able to send notifications to Growl on a
Mac, using GNTP.

This is not yet supported in Growl for Mac, but it will be.

briandunnington

Jan 29, 2010, 6:12:31 PM1/29/10
to Growl Discuss
if you want to get notifications *from* a Mac to a PC, then you will
definitely have to wait until the GNTP support is added to Growl like
Peter said.

however, if you want to do the opposite - sending *to* a Mac from a PC
- that is possible now. if you install Growl for Windows on the PC, it
can forward notifications using GNTP or the existing UDP protocol,
which Growl (for Mac) already understands.

since you are not actually running another PC but running foobar in
Wine instead, it might be a bit trickier. the foobar plugin only
speaks GNTP, but you could perhaps try running Growl for Windows in
Wine as well and routing your notifications through there. not the
most elegant solution, but since you are only looking for the
feasibility, i figured i would toss it out there.