[growl-discuss] Could growlnotify please wait?

Lennart Borgman

May 2, 2010, 8:09:42 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I mean wait until the user clicks the notification. If it could wait
then I could have a lot more fun with it.

I suggest a new switch /wait.

Chris Forsythe

May 2, 2010, 8:17:57 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Is this for windows or mac?

On May 2, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Lennart Borgman

Lennart Borgman

May 2, 2010, 8:21:09 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I am using windows, but I am actually asking for both. The reason I am
asking is that this would allow a more useful integration with Emacs
than is possible now. With a /wait switch you could use that to
quickly implement kind of callbacks in Emacs.

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Chris Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
> Is this for windows or mac?
>
> On May 2, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Lennart Borgman <lennart...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I mean wait until the user clicks the notification. If it could wait
>> then I could have a lot more fun with it.
>>
>> I suggest a new switch /wait.

Peter Hosey

May 2, 2010, 9:37:04 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 2, 2010, at 17:21:09, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> I am using windows, but I am actually asking for both.

You should ask on the Growl for Windows list, then, because growlnotify for Mac has this. It's even named the way you expected: -w or --wait.

Chris Forsythe

May 2, 2010, 9:37:44 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I think for us (mac), this would add a lot of complication to a very
simple utility where applescipt can work better.

This list is not for Growl for Windows. That is another group of people.

Chris

On May 2, 2010, at 7:21 PM, Lennart Borgman

Peter Hosey

May 2, 2010, 9:45:27 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 2, 2010, at 17:21:09, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> With a /wait switch you could use that to quickly implement kind of callbacks in Emacs.

Didn't notice this until Chris responded; sorry.

growlnotify on the Mac currently does support sticky (-w, as noted), but doesn't support click feedback.

I thought we had a ticket on this already, but couldn't find it. (Maybe I was thinking of a forum thread.) I've filed a new one:

http://code.google.com/p/growl/issues/detail?id=123

You're welcome to star it.

Note that that covers the Mac; you'll still need to go to the GfW group to suggest it for that version of growlnotify.

Lennart Borgman

May 2, 2010, 9:48:38 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
> On May 2, 2010, at 17:21:09, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> With a /wait switch you could use that to quickly implement kind of callbacks in Emacs.
>
> Didn't notice this until Chris responded; sorry.
>
> growlnotify on the Mac currently does support sticky (-w, as noted), but doesn't support click feedback.
>
> I thought we had a ticket on this already, but couldn't find it. (Maybe I was thinking of a forum thread.) I've filed a new one:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/growl/issues/detail?id=123
>
> You're welcome to star it.

I just did that.

> Note that that covers the Mac; you'll still need to go to the GfW group to suggest it for that version of growlnotify.

Thanks, I will do that. It is quite important in my case that both the
mac and the windows version has this ability. (Though it is a bit more
difficult to implement on windows.)

Chris Forsythe

May 2, 2010, 10:39:39 PM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On May 2, 2010, at 8:48 PM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
>> On May 2, 2010, at 17:21:09, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>> With a /wait switch you could use that to quickly implement kind
>>> of callbacks in Emacs.
>>
>> Didn't notice this until Chris responded; sorry.
>>
>> growlnotify on the Mac currently does support sticky (-w, as
>> noted), but doesn't support click feedback.
>>
>> I thought we had a ticket on this already, but couldn't find it.
>> (Maybe I was thinking of a forum thread.) I've filed a new one:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/growl/issues/detail?id=123
>>
>> You're welcome to star it.
>
> I just did that.
>
>> Note that that covers the Mac; you'll still need to go to the GfW
>> group to suggest it for that version of growlnotify.
>
> Thanks, I will do that. It is quite important in my case that both the
> mac and the windows version has this ability. (Though it is a bit more
> difficult to implement on windows.)

Can you explain what your use case is?

Lennart Borgman

May 3, 2010, 5:46:24 AM5/3/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Chris Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:

>> Thanks, I will do that. It is quite important in my case that both the
>> mac and the windows version has this ability. (Though it is a bit more
>> difficult to implement on windows.)
>>

> Can you explain what your use case is?

Sure. We are discussing how to add notification capabilities to Emacs:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/124446

I see now that David De La Harpe Golden has responded that there are
more possibilities when using the Growl APIs than when using a
growlnotify with a /wait switch. That might be true, but the
implementation using growlnotify is (probably) much easier. (And Emacs
is huge and therefore complicated so the developers is a rather scarce
resource. If implementation can be done using elisp then there are
more people that have time to do it.)

briandunnington

May 3, 2010, 2:03:51 PM5/3/10
to Growl Discuss

> > Can you explain what your use case is?
>
> Sure. We are discussing how to add notification capabilities to Emacs:
>
>    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/124446

i read the discussion at that link, but was still wondering what the
specific uses cases were for waiting for callback responses from the
notifications. other than 'it would be useful' (which i agree, it
could be) do you have any specific examples that this would enable?

on the Windows side, the equivalent growlnotify command currently
waits for the GNTP response so it knows if the message was sent
successfully or not (-OK or -ERROR response), but then does not wait
for any callback response. (that is mainly because the Windows
growlnotify currently only allows specifying url-based callbacks and
not socket callbacks, so there is nothing to wait for in the first
place). it wouldnt be too hard to add this functionality, but without
understanding the need, it could be a case of adding unnecessary
complexity for a small gain.

Lennart Borgman

May 3, 2010, 3:46:11 PM5/3/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM, briandunnington
<briandu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Can you explain what your use case is?
>>
>> Sure. We are discussing how to add notification capabilities to Emacs:
>>
>>    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/124446
>
> i read the discussion at that link, but was still wondering what the
> specific uses cases were for waiting for callback responses from the
> notifications. other than 'it would be useful' (which i agree, it
> could be) do you have any specific examples that this would enable?

Hi Brian, thanks for asking.

In Emacs you can run growlnotify.exe as suprocess and set a
"sentinental" on it. A "sentinental" is a callback function that is
run when the process finishes.

So with a "sentinental" you could let Emacs do what you want when the
user clicks the Growl notification - ie if growlnotify could wait.

> on the Windows side, the equivalent growlnotify command currently
> waits for the GNTP response so it knows if the message was sent
> successfully or not (-OK or -ERROR response), but then does not wait
> for any callback response. (that is mainly because the Windows
> growlnotify currently only allows specifying url-based callbacks and
> not socket callbacks, so there is nothing to wait for in the first
> place). it wouldnt be too hard to add this functionality, but without
> understanding the need, it could be a case of adding unnecessary
> complexity for a small gain.

The gain on the Emacs side is that this is easy to implement and any
Emacs user could immediately use Growl notifications from within Emacs
without having to upgrade Emacs. All that is needed is adding an Emacs
library that calls growlnotify as I described above.

There are of course other uses I can imagine for a /wait switch, but
this is what I have been thinking of.