Growl SVN problems

Evan Schoenberg

Dec 31, 2007, 10:05:04 AM12/31/07
to growld...@googlegroups.com
[evands:Balooga] [09:03:55] [Mon Dec 31] [~/growl/Core]
=> svn ci -m "Fix leakage of an NSMutableSet with each call to -
[GrowlPluginController
displayPluginDictionariesWithName:author:version:type:]"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/growl/trunk/Core/Source'
svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Chris, any idea what's up?

-Evan

Chris Forsythe

Dec 31, 2007, 11:17:51 AM12/31/07
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Ya, James moved some stuff on the box. I've been waiting for the
(stalled) discussion about hosting options to conclude before doing
the work of moving the repo. However, I lost internet access for a few
days here, and in that time span the server apparently went down. I
haven't done a checkin yet so I didn't see that, but I did have to
shell in to get svn and http running. That was last night when I
snagged some free wireless at berry hill.

That hosting discussion really needs to be picked back up, and
completed. I'm not convinced that trac is right for us. However, I
really dislike the fact that I could have had svn moved a week ago,
but due to being tied to the ticket system, it's still sitting on a
flakey box and we now have this problem.

I can only reply from my iPhone right now, so pardon the brevity here.
I'll look at svn the next time I can get onto some wireless, but that
won't be today. If someone can talk to imajes before that, it'd get
resolved quicker possibly. Evan, you probably have access to that box
still as well.

*sigh* Moving sucks.

Chris

bgannin

Dec 31, 2007, 9:43:03 PM12/31/07
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 31, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Chris Forsythe wrote:

> That hosting discussion really needs to be picked back up, and
> completed. I'm not convinced that trac is right for us. However, I
> really dislike the fact that I could have had svn moved a week ago,
> but due to being tied to the ticket system, it's still sitting on a
> flakey box and we now have this problem.

I was looking at Google Groups today and had some questions

- how do I create an issue/ticket for tracking?
- can I browse the repository?
- is there a blog component we can employ?
- is there any cohesion we can lay on top of all this? (we would have
3 groups at this point with only links/references to tie them together)
- how active is development on this system?

If our situation is this untenable then it needs to resolved
expediently. Whether or not Google Groups would be our long term
solution or not, at least our repository will be live again.

- brian 'bgannin' ganninger

Peter Hosey

Jan 1, 2008, 12:54:49 AM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 31, 2007, at 18:43:03, bgannin wrote:
> I was looking at Google Groups today and had some questions

I assume you mean Google Code Hosting.

> - how do I create an issue/ticket for tracking?

1. Click on Issues.
2. Click on New Issue.
3. Follow all on-screen instructions.
4. The Label fields should be regarded as combo boxes (text fields
that also have the pop-up menu nature). More will automatically come
into existence if you fill all the ones you already have.

> - can I browse the repository?

Yes.

> - is there a blog component we can employ?

No.

> - is there any cohesion we can lay on top of all this? (we would have
> 3 groups at this point with only links/references to tie them
> together)

Nope. Not even “fixes #42”.

> - how active is development on this system?

http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/
Most recent GCH-related post: <http://google-code-
updates.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-how-weve-grown.html>

PGP.sig

bgannin

Jan 1, 2008, 3:52:48 AM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 31, 2007, at 9:54 PM, Peter Hosey wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2007, at 18:43:03, bgannin wrote:
>> I was looking at Google Groups today and had some questions
>
> I assume you mean Google Code Hosting.

Gack. I was conflating things unnecessarily in my head. Going there is
much better. ;)

So... to review, we currently have svn, wiki, and ticketing tied up on
a dying box in an unusable state. We have some cohesion in these
systems, but a maintenance nightmare.

Having our repository down is a critical problem IMO. The others are
all icing on the cake. But they can all be addressed (in limited
fashion) with Google's Code Hosting as discussed. I think we'll lose
things we found comfortable and/or beneficial in the old system[s] and
the flexibility of controlling the entire stack but it's the cost of
going forward. Narrowing our focus may even be a good thing, lean and
mean ftw.

Next round of questions:

What's the migration path going to be for this?
Do we just reboot the repository at 0 or import history?
Can we dump the wiki that currently exists so we can review and
restore at our leisure?
Can we dump the issues that currently exist so we can review and
restore at our leisure?
How do we weave a new developer story using our new site and Google
hosted components (groups and code hosting)?

- brian 'bgannin' ganninger

Peter Hosey

Jan 1, 2008, 2:03:53 PM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 01, 2008, at 00:52:48, bgannin wrote:
> Do we just reboot the repository at 0 or import history?

We would need to use Tailor to replay our existing repo into the new
one. GCH assumes that you're starting a new project from scratch, so
there is no facility to load a dump file.

Obviously, this would be tricky to accomplish without the ability to
check it out. But if we have either a backup of the repo, or a
current dump file from it, then it isn't hard:

1. Restore repo from backup, or create a new one from the dump file.
2. Check out the repo over file:.
3. Use Tailor.

That said, I'm still not a fan of putting the svn on GCH, since we
lose the commits list (good for code review) and automatic ticket
closing. Do we know of anybody else who'd be willing and able to host
the SVN?

> Can we dump the wiki that currently exists so we can review and
> restore at our leisure?

It's doable. Direct access to the GCH wiki is offered via svn: the
pages are files in the /wiki directory in the svn repo.

The hard part is converting the formatting.

> Can we dump the issues that currently exist so we can review and
> restore at our leisure?

No. GCH offers no way to automatically load issues.

OTOH, if we can get a Trac set up somewhere, we can set the Issues
tab to point there:

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/WhatsNew

PGP.sig

Ofri Wolfus

Jan 1, 2008, 2:22:11 PM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On 01/01/2008, at 21:03, Peter Hosey wrote:

> On Jan 01, 2008, at 00:52:48, bgannin wrote:
>> Do we just reboot the repository at 0 or import history?
>
> We would need to use Tailor to replay our existing repo into the new
> one. GCH assumes that you're starting a new project from scratch, so
> there is no facility to load a dump file.
>
> Obviously, this would be tricky to accomplish without the ability to
> check it out. But if we have either a backup of the repo, or a
> current dump file from it, then it isn't hard:
>
> 1. Restore repo from backup, or create a new one from the dump file.
> 2. Check out the repo over file:.
> 3. Use Tailor.
>
> That said, I'm still not a fan of putting the svn on GCH, since we
> lose the commits list (good for code review) and automatic ticket
> closing. Do we know of anybody else who'd be willing and able to
> host the SVN?

I have an account at dreamhost with plenty of space and bandwidth and
will happily set up an account for the project if someone is willing
to set things up.

>> Can we dump the wiki that currently exists so we can review and
>> restore at our leisure?
>
> It's doable. Direct access to the GCH wiki is offered via svn: the
> pages are files in the /wiki directory in the svn repo.
>
> The hard part is converting the formatting.
>
>> Can we dump the issues that currently exist so we can review and
>> restore at our leisure?
>
> No. GCH offers no way to automatically load issues.
>
> OTOH, if we can get a Trac set up somewhere, we can set the Issues
> tab to point there:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/WhatsNew

Again, feel free to put trac on my DH account.
Ofri

Chris Forsythe

Jan 1, 2008, 3:03:27 PM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com, growld...@googlegroups.com
Guys, we have hosting at nr...

bgannin

Jan 1, 2008, 4:01:54 PM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com
If you consider this an option then why don't we get the current setup
moved while the discussion continues? If you consider the current
setup untenable (as was indicated) then the discussion of moving needs
to continue.

- brian 'bgannin' ganninger

Chris Forsythe

Jan 1, 2008, 10:56:49 PM1/1/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I was only able to check a little bit on the iphone (200+ emails on
the iphone is unusable) so I wanted to make sure you guys knew it was
on the table.

Chris Forsythe

Jan 2, 2008, 7:15:16 PM1/2/08
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the shortness yesterday, now I'm on a real connection
with my mbp.

On Jan 1, 2008, at 3:01 PM, bgannin wrote:

> If you consider this an option

I really don't think this is a good solution anymore. The last couple
of days should be obvious as to why, but basically it depends on
myself and maybe one or two other people to have the box up and
running. This is less of an issue moving to NR, but this is still an
issue.

> then why don't we get the current setup
> moved while the discussion continues?

Getting trac up and running is always a pain. No. Matter. What.

> If you consider the current
> setup untenable (as was indicated) then the discussion of moving needs
> to continue.

I concur. I only mentioned it because I saw someone mentioning
dreamhost.

We still have to have an svn repo up for web work, and http running,
and I need to move mail, but that's about it.

Chris