[growl-discuss] CS5 and Growl

Christopher Forsythe

May 14, 2010, 11:47:58 AM5/14/10
to Growl Discuss
Folks,

Has anyone here installed cs5 and had Growl automatically installed? Does anyone on this list have access to cs5 that could test installing CS5 without Growl installed to see if they install it?

Chris

Dave

May 15, 2010, 2:12:32 AM5/15/10
to Growl Discuss
Yes I can confirm that at some point cs5 installed growl...I knew when
i started getting recovered files at start up...growl broke on snow
leopard and even though has been updated is still broke if you ask me
#hateTheGrowl #resourcesControlFreak

On May 14, 11:47 am, Christopher Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Has anyone here installed cs5 and had Growl automatically installed? Does
> anyone on this list have access to cs5 that could test installing CS5
> without Growl installed to see if they install it?

Peter Hosey

May 15, 2010, 2:15:30 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 14, 2010, at 23:12:32, Dave wrote:
> growl broke on snow leopard and even though has been updated is still broke if you ask me

Aside from the recovered files, what specific problem are you having?

What version number does Growl show in the About tab of its preference pane in System Preferences?

Dave

May 15, 2010, 2:24:07 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On May 15, 2010, at 2:15 AM, Peter Hosey wrote:

> On May 14, 2010, at 23:12:32, Dave wrote:
>> growl broke on snow leopard and even though has been updated is still broke if you ask me
>
> Aside from the recovered files, what specific problem are you having?

I consider getting piles of recovered files something wrong,(which started with snow leopard) I don't see it doing anything, never have, uninstalled it, never missed it. I have a problem with things being installed I didn't order...I'd rather have a choice what I choose to use my system resources on

> What version number does Growl show in the About tab of its preference pane in System Preferences?

Version 1.2

Peter Hosey

May 15, 2010, 2:37:07 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 14, 2010, at 23:24:07, Dave wrote:
> I consider getting piles of recovered files something wrong,(which started with snow leopard)

So do we. We've fixed almost all known causes of that, though, and the one that remains is in an API we no longer support and will remove entirely in a couple of versions.

> I don't see it doing anything, never have, uninstalled it, never missed it. I have a problem with things being installed I didn't order...

So do we. We don't like that Dropbox does this and we don't like that CS5 does it, either.

> I'd rather have a choice what I choose to use my system resources on

So would we.

Dave

May 15, 2010, 2:34:12 AM5/15/10
to Growl Discuss

Peter Hosey

May 15, 2010, 2:40:21 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 14, 2010, at 23:34:12, Dave wrote:
> http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/107361/adobe-pack-out-your-trash

Thanks for the link. Here's my commentary on it:

https://twitter.com/boredzo/status/14023356224

I think I'll make a list of applications that do this crap, so people know we don't endorse it.

Evan Schoenberg, M.D.

May 15, 2010, 2:54:17 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com

On May 15, 2010, at 1:40 AM, Peter Hosey wrote:

On May 14, 2010, at 23:34:12, Dave wrote:
http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/107361/adobe-pack-out-your-trash

Thanks for the link. Here's my commentary on it:

https://twitter.com/boredzo/status/14023356224

I think I'll make a list of applications that do this crap, so people know we don't endorse it.

I also posted briefly in that blog's comments.

-Evan

Dave

May 15, 2010, 2:55:53 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Well there was a temp file from Adobe something manager, I believe that matches the link from previous post always on restart....and a whole bunch of unix file with font names..however that didn't repeat....previously bbedit started my war with growl and recovered files.

10.6.3 has been a bad release, but had no way to go back to 10.6.2. I pray 10.6.4 is coming soon and resolves some things.

It appears my mac didn't get your memo that it's fixed..... :(

On May 15, 2010, at 2:37 AM, Peter Hosey wrote:

> So do we. We've fixed almost all known causes of that, though

Peter Hosey

May 15, 2010, 2:58:52 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 14, 2010, at 23:55:53, Dave wrote:
> Well there was a temp file from Adobe something manager, I believe that matches the link from previous post always on restart....and a whole bunch of unix file with font names..however that didn't repeat.

Were any of those .growlRegDict files? Those are the only ones that might have something to do with Growl.

> ...previously bbedit started my war with growl and recovered files.
>
> It appears my mac didn't get your memo that it's fixed..... :(

BBEdit uses (or used to use; I haven't checked the current version) the Carbon Growl API that we've deprecated. I don't know whether CS5 does.

Dave

May 15, 2010, 3:12:15 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I don't remember and it's completely uninstalled at this point.
On May 15, 2010, at 2:58 AM, Peter Hosey wrote:

> Were any of those .growlRegDict files? Those are the only ones that might have something to do with Growl.

Chris Forsythe

May 15, 2010, 11:58:52 AM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
That's alright. Based on what you've seen, the opinion piece and the
forum thread I found, this confirms the behavior isn't just a
coincidence.

Dave can you look in the receipts directory to see if it's a pkg
installation?

I'm in contact with someone at adobe, who is finding out more
information.

Before 1.2.1 comes out, we'll be putting a notice up on the website.

Also, how hard would it be to merge sparkle into 1.2.1?

Dave

May 15, 2010, 1:43:50 PM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I'm not real knowledgeable in this area, but I see no packages for growl or adobe cs5 apps in receipts . I downloaded the growl dmg file to use the uninstaller it contained to remove growl. Would that not have deleted it?

Dave

On May 15, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Chris Forsythe wrote:

> Dave can you look in the receipts directory to see if it's a pkg installation?

Peter Hosey

May 15, 2010, 2:51:49 PM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 15, 2010, at 10:43:50, Dave wrote:
> I'm not real knowledgeable in this area, but I see no packages for growl or adobe cs5 apps in receipts . I downloaded the growl dmg file to use the uninstaller it contained to remove growl. Would that not have deleted it?

It did; we're trying to find out how CS5 installed it—whether it used our package or just unzipped Growl into one of the right places.

Incidentally, while it was installed, did you look to see which Library/PreferencePanes folder it was in?

Dave

May 15, 2010, 5:46:53 PM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Right now I'm putting CS5 Adobe Flash on and can already confirm growl has been installed again. So hopefully in a bit I can answer your questions better

Dave

May 15, 2010, 6:38:42 PM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Ok I took some screen shots of what I hope is pertinent info for you before uninstalling it. These are after installing aftereffects and flash cs5. There are several reboots that should be in order showing recovered files plus installed pref panes dir. Hope it helps

http://gallery.me.com/dmiers#100075

Dave

Peter Hosey

May 15, 2010, 8:10:57 PM5/15/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 15, 2010, at 15:38:42, Dave wrote:
> Ok I took some screen shots of what I hope is pertinent info for you before uninstalling it. These are after installing aftereffects and flash cs5. There are several reboots that should be in order showing recovered files plus installed pref panes dir. Hope it helps
>
> http://gallery.me.com/dmiers#100075

Thanks.

Some pertinent facts:

- It put Growl in /Library/PreferencePanes. Depending on what “It” is (the Adobe Installer or something else), this may or may not suggest a package install.
- This screenshot:
<http://gallery.me.com/dmiers/100075/Screen-20shot-202010-05-15-20at-206-21-56-20PM/web.jpg?ver=12739627200001>
does show a Growl registration dictionary.
- All of the other “Recovered files” screenshots are not of files produced or used by Growl.

It might be interesting to have a look at that .growlRegDict file, but it'd be nothing more than curiosity-satisfaction, since it's pretty well established by this point that CS5 (or its installer) is guilty of the charge.

Adobe CS5

May 20, 2010, 12:24:16 PM5/20/10
to Growl Discuss
Hi Everyone,
Adobe CS5 is installing the Growl Pref Pane when you install any CS5
Suite or Point Product. We added Growl notifications primarily to
invite users to receive complimentary benefits for registering their
product and remind users to update their Adobe.com profiles.

We realize that this is causing a lot of consternation with both CS5
and Growl users and are looking at ways of mitigating this issue. In
the mean time, please follow the link @ http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/840/cpsid_84093.html
to get more details about how to remove Growl or disable these
notifications.

For enterprise IT administrators who do not wish to have Growl
installed, we are making changes to the Enterprise Toolkit to disable
Growl. The Enterprise Toolkit is being re-branded as the Adobe
Application Manager Enterprise Edition (AAMEE) for CS5.

AAMEE will be available as a free download end of May. There is a
check box to disable Registration in AAMEE. Disabling registration
will prevent Growl from being installed.

Thanks,

Adobe CS team

On May 15, 5:10 pm, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
> On May 15, 2010, at 15:38:42, Dave wrote:
>
> > Ok I took some screen shots of what I hope is pertinent info for you before uninstalling it. These are after installing aftereffects and flash cs5. There are several reboots that should be in order showing recovered files plus installed pref panes dir. Hope it helps
>
> >http://gallery.me.com/dmiers#100075
>
> Thanks.
>
> Some pertinent facts:
>
> - It put Growl in /Library/PreferencePanes. Depending on what “It” is (the Adobe Installer or something else), this may or may not suggest a package install.
> - This screenshot:
>         <http://gallery.me.com/dmiers/100075/Screen-20shot-202010-05-15-20at-2...>

Adobe CS5

May 20, 2010, 12:31:17 PM5/20/10
to Growl Discuss
Hi Everyone,
Adobe CS5 is installing the Growl Pref Pane when you install any CS5
Suite or Point Product. We added Growl notifications primarily to
invite users to receive complimentary benefits for registering their
product and remind users to update their Adobe.com profiles.

We realize that this is causing a lot of consternation with both CS5
and Growl users and are looking at ways of mitigating this issue. In
the mean time, please follow the link @ http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/840/cpsid_84093.html
to get more details on how to remove Growl or disable these
notifications. Disabling notifications or removing Growl has no
impact on how CS5 applications work.

For enterprise IT administrators who do not wish to have Growl
installed, we are making changes to the Enterprise Toolkit to disable
Growl. The Enterprise Toolkit is being rebranded as the Adobe
Application Manager Enterprise Edition (AAMEE) for CS5.

AAMEE will be available as a free download end of May. There is a
check box to disable Registration in AAMEE. Disabling registration
will prevent Growl from being installed.

Thanks,

Adobe CS team

On May 15, 5:10 pm, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:
> On May 15, 2010, at 15:38:42, Dave wrote:
>
> > Ok I took some screen shots of what I hope is pertinent info for you before uninstalling it. These are after installing aftereffects and flash cs5. There are several reboots that should be in order showing recovered files plus installed pref panes dir. Hope it helps
>
> >http://gallery.me.com/dmiers#100075
>
> Thanks.
>
> Some pertinent facts:
>
> - It put Growl in /Library/PreferencePanes. Depending on what “It” is (the Adobe Installer or something else), this may or may not suggest a package install.
> - This screenshot:
>         <http://gallery.me.com/dmiers/100075/Screen-20shot-202010-05-15-20at-2...>

Peter Hosey

May 20, 2010, 7:02:26 PM5/20/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 20, 2010, at 09:31:17, Adobe CS5 wrote:
> From: Adobe CS5 <adobec...@gmail.com>

Note: Not adobe.com, so I wouldn't unconditionally trust that those messages are actually from Adobe. It could be a prank/troll.

The link to the technote page is real, at least (the same one Chris posted yesterday).

It'd be great if somebody at Adobe could send us an email (at growldiscuss-owner if they don't want to subscribe) that we could post to the list, confirming or denying the authenticity of those messages.