[growl-discuss] Multi-Monitor Support

David K

May 1, 2010, 5:49:55 PM5/1/10
to Growl Discuss
Hello,

I saw on the original Cocoa|Forge Growl forums that this request had
already been made about one year ago. The response at that time was
that it would be too much work to implement. I just wanted to raise
the topic once more (to show that there is interest in it) and to see
if it's any more feasible to implement now than it was when the
request was first made.

The issue is that for those of us with two or more monitors, Growl
notifications only show up on the primary monitor. For various
reasons, it can be difficult to take note of those notifications when
working or focusing on a different monitor.

There are theoretically a few approaches that could be taken, design-
wise, to deal with this issue:
1) Have Growl messages broadcast across all monitor spaces;
2) Have Growl messages broadcast only to the monitor where the mouse
cursor or window with active focus resides;
3) Have Growl broadcast only to the primary monitor, but leave
messages on-screen if the mouse cursor or window with active focus
does not reside on that screen.

Not having much programming experience, I can't say which would be
easier or more difficult to implement.

Given that this has been stated as requiring much work to implement,
and that the majority of Growl users are seemingly not using multiple
monitors, I do not expect it to receive much attention or priority.
Again, I just wanted to raise the issue once more, and perhaps provide
a place for others to voice support and suggestions.

Cheers,
David

Peter Hosey

May 2, 2010, 3:24:53 AM5/2/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On May 1, 2010, at 14:49:55, David K wrote:
> The issue is that for those of us with two or more monitors, Growl notifications only show up on the primary monitor.

Well, *a* monitor. You can choose which one in the display settings for any visual display.

> 1) Have Growl messages broadcast across all monitor spaces;

Rectangle math is hard enough with one screen. ;)

> 2) Have Growl messages broadcast only to the monitor where the mouse cursor or window with active focus resides;

Sounds good. Filed:

http://code.google.com/p/growl/issues/detail?id=122

> 3) Have Growl broadcast only to the primary monitor, but leave messages on-screen if the mouse cursor or window with active focus does not reside on that screen.

Too easy to have a screen full of notifications after a five-hour deep-concentration work session.

David K

May 10, 2010, 10:19:03 AM5/10/10
to Growl Discuss

> Sounds good. Filed: