GfW eats ALT+X?

Jonathan Yee

Jun 25, 2010, 6:31:31 PM6/25/10
to growl for windows
I use ALT+X in Microsoft Word to translate unicode glyphs to their
code points and vice versa. When GfW is running, this command doesn't
work. Is GfW eating this keystroke?

Brian Dunnington

Jun 25, 2010, 7:36:42 PM6/25/10
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
yes, GfW uses that key combination to dismiss notifications:
http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/help/#dismiss

however, you can configure it to use another key combination if that
combo interferes with another app. you have to manually edit a file to
do this, but it is not hard:

1. make sure GfW is not running
2. go to "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Growl\2.0.0.0"
(XP) or "%USERPROFILE%\appdata\local\growl\2.0.0.0" (Win7) and open
the 'user.config' file
3. find the elements 'KeyboardShortcutCloseLast' and
'KeyboardShortcutCloseAll' and modify their values to something else
that you know is not already in use.
4. save and close the file
5. relaunch GfW
6. try the key combo in Word again and make sure it no longer gets
intercepted by GfW