keyboard shortcut problem

justinhj

Nov 7, 2009, 11:57:50 AM11/7/09
to growl for windows
For a week or so I lost the use of Alt-X in emacs and I've just
realised today by happy accident that it's Growl. Since growl for
windows (I'm using XP) intercepts Alt-X for the close notify, it seems
to break apps that need Alt-X. I think this must be a new problem as
I've been using Growl for a few months.

To fix it I went into the config file and changed the keyboard
shortcut to Alt-Z which I don't need. But shouldn't it be possible for
Growl to accept the Alt-X without preventing other apps from seeing
the event?

YOUR DRIVE:/Documents and Settings/YOU/Local Settings/Application Data/
Growl/2.0.0.0/user.config

Using Gfw 2.0.0.24

Brian Dunnington

Nov 7, 2009, 4:14:37 PM11/7/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
hmmm. i made a change in the RC1 version that changed Growl from using
a keyboard hook to the RegisterHotKey API (although it was broken in
RC1 and didnt actually start working until RC2). from this link
(http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/a052ad4b-5081-4951-ae3e-eae06883dc0f),
it appears the RegisterHotKey cannot pass the original keypress on to
other apps.

i guess i could change it back to using a keyboard hook (which is able
to pass the message on). at least you found the best solution for now
(changing the key combination in the user.config file).

Joel "Jaykul" Bennett

Nov 8, 2009, 1:10:53 AM11/8/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
That's right, incidentally. Keys that are registered as hotkeys can't be
"sent" otherwise. Usually it's not a good idea to use just a single
modifier on those, unless it's the WIN key.

Ie: Win+X would be ok, or Ctrl+Alt+X

--
Joel "Jaykul" Bennett
http://HuddledMasses.org

http://groups.google.com/group/growl-
> for-windows?hl=en

> signature database 4582 (20091107) __________

> http://www.eset.com

BrandonLeiran

Nov 19, 2009, 7:42:00 AM11/19/09
to growl for windows
I had the same problem and it took me way too long to figure out what
program had stolen the registration.

Thank you very much for the workaround!