Cannot link static library

Bill

May 25, 2011, 12:27:23 PM5/25/11
to growl for windows
Hello. I am trying to add growl to the open source application
dvbe4sage. The first step is to put a simple test message in place,
but I cannot get the static library to link. When I do I get
unresolved externals for everything in the library. This is using
visual studio 2008 and unmanaged C++ and linking libgrowl-static+
+.lib.
It looks to me like the static library was not built properly:

libgrowl-static.lib is 19KB in size.
libgrowl-static++.lib is 3KB in size and is even smaller that the
shared c++ library.

In desperation I tried to also link in the C static lib but that
didn't work either.

Am I missing something? Has anyone gotten the static C++ library to
link successfully?

Thanks.

Brian Dunnington

May 25, 2011, 12:56:22 PM5/25/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the library from here: https://github.com/psinnott/gntp-send ?

I am no C/C++ expert, but maybe Peter or mattn will see this and be
able to jump in and help out.

Bill

May 25, 2011, 1:12:51 PM5/25/11
to growl for windows
Yes that is the one I am trying to use. Thanks.

On May 25, 12:56 pm, Brian Dunnington <briandunning...@gmail.com>

Peter Sinnott

May 25, 2011, 2:13:44 PM5/25/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Alas I'm not really an expert either. Are you including sockets
support ws2_32.lib? If not can you add this in and see what errors you
are getting.

Peter Sinnott

May 25, 2011, 2:17:59 PM5/25/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
And define GROWL_STATIC.

Bill

May 25, 2011, 2:19:45 PM5/25/11
to growl for windows
Figured it out. You need to link in both static libs and add a
preprocessor definition GROWL_CPP_STATIC.

Thanks guys.

On May 25, 2:13 pm, Peter Sinnott <psinn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alas I'm not really an expert either. Are you including sockets
> support ws2_32.lib? If not can you add this in and see what errors you
> are getting.
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Brian Dunnington
>

> <briandunning...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you using the library from here:https://github.com/psinnott/gntp-send?
>
> > I am no C/C++ expert, but maybe Peter or mattn will see this and be
> > able to jump in and help out.
>
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Bill <woat...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Hello.  I am trying to add growl to the open source application
> >> dvbe4sage.  The first step is to put a simple test message in place,
> >> but I cannot get the static library to link.  When I do I get
> >> unresolved externals for everything in the library. This is using
> >> visual studio 2008 and unmanaged C++ and linking libgrowl-static+
> >> +.lib.
> >> It looks to me like the static library was not built properly:
>
> >> libgrowl-static.lib is 19KB in size.
> >> libgrowl-static++.lib is 3KB in size and is even smaller that the
> >> shared c++ library.
>
> >> In desperation I tried to also link in the C static lib but that
> >> didn't work either.
>
> >> Am I missing something?  Has anyone gotten the static C++ library to
> >> link successfully?
>
> >> Thanks.

mattn

May 25, 2011, 8:08:56 PM5/25/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I found mistake in Makefile.msc .
Please pull & re-build all.

Thanks for notice.
- Yasuhiro Matsumoto (aka mattn)