Feature request - clear all sticky notifications

Richard Lucas

Oct 5, 2009, 3:39:00 AM10/5/09
to growl for windows
I have a suggestion for a new feature. To give some background I have
a home brewed internal monitoring process which 'growls' every time
that there is something requiring someone's attention. I've set the
notifications for the application it registers itself with Growl as to
always be sticky.

This is great during the day but the problem is that the process is
running unattended over the weekend and I normally come back to about
100-200 sticky notifications that I can either click through
individually or close and re-start Growl to clear them.

What would be great would be an option on the Growl system tray icon's
context menu to "Clear all sticky notifications".

Cheers,

Richard

Jason Plum

Oct 5, 2009, 8:52:52 AM10/5/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
I believe ctrl-x will do this for you?

________________________________
winmail.dat

Richard Lucas

Oct 5, 2009, 10:02:07 AM10/5/09
to growl for windows
Jason, unfortunately not, I've just tried it and it doesn't seem to do
anything?

On Oct 5, 1:52 pm, "Jason Plum" <jason.p...@bmmsi.com> wrote:
> I believe ctrl-x will do this for you?
>
> ________________________________

Brian Dunnington

Oct 5, 2009, 11:24:29 AM10/5/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Jason was close - the default key combination for closing a single
notification is Alt-X

to clear all notifications from the screen, the default key
combination is: Alt-Shift-X

(http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/help/#dismiss)

Richard Lucas

Oct 6, 2009, 3:37:30 AM10/6/09
to growl for windows
Whoops, RTFM on my part, apologies! 8-)

Richard Lucas

Oct 7, 2009, 3:18:57 AM10/7/09
to growl for windows
Sorry Brian, where do I click Alt+Shift+X to clear the notifications,
I can't seem to get this to work in Windows 7? Alt+X does not clear a
single notification either, although left and right mouse clicks do
clear the notifications.

I've tried opening Growl itself and using these key combinations
within the application and trying to click on the list of sticky
notifications and use these keys, all to no avail? What am I doing
wrong?

Richard

Brian Dunnington

Oct 7, 2009, 10:15:24 AM10/7/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
you shouldnt have to *be* anywhere in particular to use the keyboard
shortcuts. as long as Growl is running (which it will be if the
notifications are visible), the keyboard commands should work.

that said, i dont have an instance of Win7 to test against at the
moment. i know the keyboard shortcuts work in XP, 2003, and Vista, but
that probably doesnt help you much =)

maybe somebody else can chime in and report if it works for them on
Win7 or not as well. if not, then it must be something different on
that OS; if it does work for some other folks, then maybe there is
another app that is also grabbing the Alt-X hot key?

tonysykes

Oct 7, 2009, 10:56:34 AM10/7/09
to growl for windows
Using alt+shift+x in Win 7 Ent does not work, unless I have Growl open
on the desktop.

Richard Lucas

Oct 7, 2009, 11:04:08 AM10/7/09
to growl for windows
Ah, forgot to mention that these notifications are ones created from
a .NET 2008 program. Generated from my .NET program and the
application is defined as always having sticky notifications in Growl
itself, I don't specify that they should be sticky when I'm creating
the notifications from my .NET code.

I've just tried clicking on the "Preview" button in Growl on the
Displays tab to generate some notifications to the screen and clicking
on ALT+SHIFT+X does clear these notifications immediately.

Richard

Brian Dunnington

Oct 7, 2009, 11:06:52 AM10/7/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
which display are you using for the notifications that you are not
able to clear? i dont think the keyboard shortcuts work for
TranslucentDark. (which could explain why the Alt-X worked when you
tried a Preview of another display style).

it shouldnt matter if the notifications are set to Sticky or not - in
fact, the most useful case for clearing all notifications is for when
there are a bunch of Sticky notifications on the screen.

FrozenCow

Brian Dunnington

Oct 7, 2009, 12:12:11 PM10/7/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
> TranslucentDark v1.5 should work with keyboardshortcuts. It wouldn't hurt
> trying to set your default display to one of the stock displays just to be
> sure.

my mistake - i didnt realize i still had v1.4 of TranslucentDark on
this machine for some reason.

anyway, i found the real issue - the RC1 version that i put out doesnt
have the keyboard shortcut functionality enabled. (Beta 20 may not
either). i changed the way it worked for Beta20 and released the build
before i commented back in the right piece of code. in other words, it
probably doesnt work properly at all right now =(

i put the code back in and tested it and it now works with all of the
displays that i have installed (which i believe is every existing
display for GfW). sorry for the confusion.

Richard Lucas

Oct 8, 2009, 3:47:29 AM10/8/09
to growl for windows
Hi Brian / FrozenCow,

I'm using iPhone Style, I'll try using TranslucentDark and see whether
that helps!

Cheers,

Richard

briandunnington

Oct 8, 2009, 10:52:01 AM10/8/09
to growl for windows
in the RC1 version (and probably the Beta20 - but i dont have it
installed to test), the keyboard shortcuts are borked up. i had
commented out some code and forgot to uncomment it before i did the
release build.

if you upgrade to the RC2 (http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/d.ashx?
f=Growl_v2.0rc2.zip), keyboard shortcuts should work for all displays.

On Oct 8, 12:47 am, Richard Lucas

Richard Lucas

Oct 13, 2009, 5:08:33 AM10/13/09
to growl for windows
Brian,

I've just installed RC2 from the link that you posted and
unfortunately the keyboard shortcut still isn't working, neither ALT+X
or ALT+SHIFT+X work. I'm using the Translucent Dark scheme.

I wonder whether something else on my system has already registered an
interest in these keyboard shortcuts and is consuming these keypresses
before they can make it through to Growl, can't think of anything
though?

RICHARD

Richard Lucas

Oct 13, 2009, 5:49:23 AM10/13/09
to growl for windows
I've looked into this a little more and I've found a utility which
lists the keyboard shortcuts and whether an application has registered
(reserved?) it's use:

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=18189.0

Active Hot Keys

Unfortunately this doesn't say which application has registered for
the hot keys, but it would appear that something (possibly Growl) has
registered the ALT+X and ALT+SHIFT+X combinations.

RICHARD

On Oct 13, 10:08 am, Richard Lucas

Richard Lucas

Oct 14, 2009, 5:20:28 AM10/14/09
to growl for windows
Brian,

I hope we haven't been talking at cross purposes, or just me getting
confused as I noticed this morning on logging in to my workstation
that I had a number of "you missed whilst you were away" notifications
which were displayed when I logged in to my workstation this morning
plus a number of sticky growl notifications displayed on the screen.

I pressed ALT+SHIFT+X and noticed that the window showing the
notifications that I had missed whilst I was away had been cleared.
This is great, but what I would also like is a keyboard shortcut or
perhaps an item on a context menu on the system tray icon for Growl to
clear all sticky notifications?

Normally I've got dozens if not hundreds of notifications of what
horrible things have been happening to our systems overnight that have
been logged by my application and displayed as Growl notifications
whilst I was away from my desk and it would be good to have a way to
clear all of the sticky notifications?

RICHARD

Brian Dunnington

Oct 14, 2009, 9:54:49 AM10/14/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
> I pressed ALT+SHIFT+X and noticed that the window showing the
> notifications that I had missed whilst I was away had been cleared.
> This is great, but what I would also like is a keyboard shortcut or
> perhaps an item on a context menu on the system tray icon for Growl to
> clear all sticky notifications?

no, you understand it correctly - it just doesnt sound like it is
working properly. the keyboard shortcuts are supposed to clear
on-screen notifications (including sticky notifications). to be
honest, i didnt think they would clear out the the 'while you were
away' messages at all - guess that is a 'feature' =)

i did some more testing to try to narrow it down, but i just cannot
duplicate the behavior here. using the RC2 build, i tried various
displays including the built-in displays and TranslucentDark v1.6 and
all of them responded to the keyboard shortcuts. i tried it with the
main Growl settings form open and with it closed. i tried it with
sticky and non-sticky notifications.

the only thing i didnt try was doing all of this on Win7 since i dont
have it available. i dont know why it would be different, but tony did
say above:

"Using alt+shift+x in Win 7 Ent does not work, unless I have Growl
open on the desktop."

perhaps the hot key management in Win7 has changed? if i can get a way
to test on Win7, i will try to see what i can find. otherwise, maybe
someone else will chime in with a miracle fix or idea?

> Normally I've got dozens if not hundreds of notifications of what
> horrible things have been happening to our systems overnight

sounds horrible =)

Andrew Gearhart

Oct 14, 2009, 10:30:57 AM10/14/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
to original poster:
perhaps you should change you display overnight to use scripty and write a script to log all of the messages to an easy to read log instead of displaying them to the screen.

It would be nice if there was a way to programmatically change the display that is used for an application so you could, for example, just hit a button and set your displays to the logging scripty instead of displaying all over your screen. Or... even set a scheduled task to be able to do it at a specific time (you leave at 5pm, right? ;-)

Just a thought on a way around it till the "clear all notifications" keyboard shortcut gets worked out. Oh, or what if that same routine called with the shortcut could be called from the right-click context menu in the growl tray icon?

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Joel "Jaykul" Bennett

Oct 14, 2009, 11:34:00 PM10/14/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com

Hear hear! (on the programmatically changing display choices based on time of day) ;)

--

Joel “Jaykul” Bennett

http://HuddledMasses.org

Richard Lucas

Oct 15, 2009, 3:54:42 AM10/15/09
to growl for windows
Hi, thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather keep all of the
monitoring information in one place, the history log of Growl rather
than having to look in two places particularly when I'm looking at
trends of data.

That sounds like a second vote for an option on the context menu to
clear the notifications and or the sticky growl messages also!

On Oct 14, 3:30 pm, Andrew Gearhart <andrew.gearh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> to original poster:perhaps you should change you display overnight to use
> scripty and write a script to log all of the messages to an easy to read log
> instead of displaying them to the screen.
>
> It would be nice if there was a way to programmatically change the display
> that is used for an application so you could, for example, just hit a button
> and set your displays to the logging scripty instead of displaying all over
> your screen. Or... even set a scheduled task to be able to do it at a
> specific time (you leave at 5pm, right? ;-)
>
> Just a thought on a way around it till the "clear all notifications"
> keyboard shortcut gets worked out. Oh, or what if that same routine called
> with the shortcut could be called from the right-click context menu in the
> growl tray icon?
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Brian Dunnington <briandunning...@gmail.com

Brian Dunnington

Oct 19, 2009, 6:23:19 PM10/19/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
can you try running the utility with Growl open and then with Growl
closed again to try to verify if GfW is indeed the app that has
registered the ALT+X and ALT+SHIFT+X combinations?

if it *is* GfW, then i am not sure why it does not work. it could be a
change in the way Win7 works (and i think another poster earlier in
this thread described a similar behavior on Win7), but the docs that i
read make no mention of that change.

if it is *not* GfW that has registered the hotkey, then another app is
probably intercepting the key commands. you can try changing the
values if you want, but you will have to manually edit your
user.config file to do so:

1. make sure GfW is not running
2. go to %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Growl\2.0.0.0
and open the user.config file
3. find the elements 'KeyboardShortcutCloseLast' and
'KeyboardShortcutCloseAll' and modify their values to something else
that you know is not already in use.
4. save and close the file
5. relaunch GfW
6. check your utility to make sure the key combinations were registered properly
7. try them out

Richard Lucas

Oct 20, 2009, 3:38:33 AM10/20/09
to growl for windows
Brian,

I've just tried it and unfortunately it seems that GfW is the
application which has registered for that shortcut, verified by
running the utility with it running and then without.

RICHARD

On Oct 19, 11:23 pm, Brian Dunnington <briandunning...@gmail.com>