Is there an errata for this book ?

enio_sp

Mar 25, 2010, 6:37:54 PM3/25/10
to Growing Object-Oriented Software
Hi,
is there an errata for this book ?
I could not find it in the book web site.

Many thanks.

Nat Pryce

Mar 25, 2010, 6:46:14 PM3/25/10
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
We haven't needed to create one yet. When any errors are brought to
our attention we will add a page to the site.

--Nat

--
http://www.natpryce.com

Tom Mortimer-Jones

Mar 29, 2010, 5:46:13 PM3/29/10
On Mar 25, 11:46 pm, Nat Pryce <nat.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We haven't needed to create one yet.  When any errors are brought to
> our attention we will add a page to the site.

I've found a tiny one. On page 101, line 7, I think "connection(..."
should be "connectTo(...".

Tom.

enio_sp

May 19, 2010, 4:27:25 PM5/19/10
to Growing Object-Oriented Software
hi all,

another tiny error. On page 182 we have something like:

private int rowMatching(SniperSnapshot snapshot) {
for(int i = 0; i < snapshots.size(); i++) {
if (newSnapshot.isForSameItemAs(snapshots.get(i))) {
return i;
}
}
throw new Defect("Cannot find match for " + snapshot);
}

In the "if" we should have snapshot instead of newSnapshot.

Enio

Esko Luontola

Sep 13, 2010, 6:43:48 AM9/13/10
Tom Mortimer-Jones wrote on 21:59:

> I've found a tiny one. On page 101, line 7, I think "connection(..."
> should be "connectTo(...".

Or should on the last line of page 100 "connect()" be "connectTo()"?

--
Esko Luontola
www.orfjackal.net

Steve Freeman

Sep 13, 2010, 7:20:26 PM9/13/10
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the corrections. Now all we need is another edition :)

S.

Steve Freeman

Book: http://www.growing-object-oriented-software.com

+44 (0) 797 179 4105
M3P Limited. http://www.m3p.co.uk
Registered office. 2 Church Street, Burnham, Bucks, SL1 7HZ.
Company registered in England & Wales. Number 03689627

Najitaka

Oct 1, 2010, 12:21:16 AM10/1/10
to Growing Object-Oriented Software
I may have missed something but to follow along from chapter 9 to page
98 of chapter 11 entering the code in the book, in addition to adding
the import statements, I had to make these changes:

Page 90
public static final String STATUS_JOINING = "Joining";
public static final String STATUS_LOST = "Lost";
added to ApplicationRunner

Page 93-4
connection.login(format(ITEM_ID_AS_LOGIN, itemId), AUCTION_PASSWORD,
AUCTION_RESOURCE);
connection.login(String.format(ITEM_ID_AS_LOGIN, itemId),
AUCTION_PASSWORD, AUCTION_RESOURCE);

Page 94
assertThat("Message", messages.poll(5, SECONDS), is(notNullValue()));
assertThat("Message", messages.poll(5, TimeUnit.SECONDS),
is(notNullValue()));

Page 97
either move the MAIN_WINDOW_NAME declaration to MainWindow.java and
fix the references in AuctionSniperDriver.java
or
setName(Main.MAIN_WINDOW_NAME); //and add the import of the Main
class.

Also on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6.4, Java 1.6.0_20, and Openfire
3.6.4 when I run the ant script from the terminal if I move the mouse
the script hangs after creating the testreports directory. If I do
not touch the mouse, it will run over and over again without hanging.

enio_sp

Oct 1, 2010, 4:07:05 AM10/1/10
to Growing Object-Oriented Software
Hello,

about the method "format" and the constant SECONDS there is no error,
they just used static import.

The static import leave the code cleaner but when reading the book we
need to spend some time to figure out which class we should use.

The static imports of methods from Hamcrest library were the worse for
me because I had to go the the reference all the time to figure out in
which class the method was.

Cheers,

Enio

Steve Freeman

Oct 1, 2010, 11:13:27 AM10/1/10
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
It's tricky since paper is not a responsive an environment as an IDE. But we wanted to show our emphasis on readability, which we think these are for people that are familiar with the style.

S.

Steve Freeman

Najitaka

Oct 1, 2010, 11:22:30 AM10/1/10
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
Completely understand your point of view. However, considering people
that are not familiar with Java may be reading to understand your
testing concepts, perhaps publishing code that compiles on the web for
each beginning and ending of a chapter would have been a good idea.
I've got a lot of Java 1.4 experience under me, but I'm just getting
back into 1.5/6 and I missed some things like static imports for
String and TimeUnit for the things I stated. The imports for the 8
classes for chapter 10 took me about an hour to figure out just to
find the correct jar and classes. The Hamcrest classes were a pain to
figure out, but it was good practice for me getting back into Java.
That learning curve would be much steeper for a .Net developer and
completely turn him away from what otherwise is a good book.