[groovy-user] Groovy Console hangs under Ubuntu/Fedora?

kennardconsulting

Jul 1, 2009, 12:14:45 AM7/1/09
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org

Hi guys,

For a little while now I've been running a Groovy Console in an applet as a
way of letting people try a 'live demo' of my Open Source project (before
they have to go to the trouble of downloading it).

The demo is here:

http://metawidget.org/live-demo

By all accounts this demo works well on Windows. It takes a little while to
download but other than that it's great.

However I have received multiple complaints about its performance on Ubuntu
and Fedora. Using the Sun JVM plugin it runs extremely slowly ('laggy', as
in menus slow to open), takes a long time to execute the Groovy script, and
is generally unusable. Other applets on the same platform work okay.

Could anyone confirm this problem? Is it something in the Groovy console, or
just something unavoidable about the JVM plugin on Linux?

Regards,

Richard.

Jim White

Jul 1, 2009, 12:44:45 AM7/1/09
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
On Mac OS X/Safari (Leopard/4.0.1) I get the attached exception.

Jim

metawidgetexc.txt

kennardconsulting

Jul 1, 2009, 12:49:30 AM7/1/09
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org

Hi Jim,

Evidently we have problems on Mac too! Again, though, the Exception looks
purely Groovy Console related.

Has anybody tried getting the Groovy Console working in an applet, and
tested it on Linux/Mac OS?

Regards,

Richard.

Jochen Theodorou

Jul 1, 2009, 9:42:49 AM7/1/09
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
Jim White schrieb:

> On Mac OS X/Safari (Leopard/4.0.1) I get the attached exception.

this is a exception in native code. Even if the program is doing wrong,
this surely should not happen, should it?

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead (http://groovy.codehaus.org)

Jim White

Jul 1, 2009, 11:21:46 AM7/1/09
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
Jochen Theodorou wrote:

> Jim White schrieb:
>
>> On Mac OS X/Safari (Leopard/4.0.1) I get the attached exception.
>
> this is a exception in native code. Even if the program is doing wrong,
> this surely should not happen, should it?

I suspect that in an applet context you don't get the Apple menu and
there is some null return that GroovyConsole isn't checking for and
instead just passing that into some other call ("removeItem").

The exception is probably occuring in the native code because the Java
wrapper code doesn't do it's own checking of the parameters. The Java
bindings in Mac are effectively native calls.

The trouble may be in the Apple code though after all. The problem is
probably triggered by this in MacOSXDefaults.groovy:

System.setProperty("com.apple.mrj.application.apple.menu.about.name",
"GroovyConsole")

But I don't have time right now to chase this further.

Jim

kennardconsulting

Jul 1, 2009, 8:21:44 PM7/1/09
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org