query on the reserach on degradable plastics in recycled plastic products

Blair Pollock

Jan 18, 2012, 12:18:02 PM1/18/12
to Gree...@googlegroups.com

Hello all:

While I am aware of the positions of recycled plastics mfrs and their representatives, such as APR, opposing the use of biodegradable or degradable or compostable plastics that might end up in their products, I am not aware of any basic technical research or product research that backs or refutes their claims that these additives may be undesirable in the finished products based on performance. Or any research to the contrary that might show that the additives or the bottles/containers themselves are not actually detrimental in the production of plastic products with recycled content.

I am involved in a policy discussion about these issues and would appreciate knowing of any technical research on the matters related to what

happens when the degradable plastics are incorporated into the mixes for recycled plastics.

Thus, as an additional matter, while I have the SERDC position on degradable plastics and am aware of APR’s I’d be interested in the position statements of other groups on these plastics.

Thanks

Blair L. Pollock

Solid Waste Planner

Orange County Solid Waste Management

(919) 968-2788

(919) 968-2800x 206 (direct)

(919) 932-2900 (fax)

www.co.orange.nc.us/recycling

Caps OK on plastic bottles -- empty, flatten and replace cap.

Recycle newspaper bags, tissue overwrap and other clean, dry #2 and #4 plastic film with grocery bags.

Jewell, Rebecca

Jan 18, 2012, 12:46:48 PM1/18/12
to Blair Pollock, Gree...@googlegroups.com

To add to this question, I’d like to hear if anyone knows how much of this material is in the recycling stream. I’ve asked before with no response. Maybe someone here knows of research.

Thanks

Rebecca

To change email delivery options visit http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes?hl=en

Blair Pollock

Jan 19, 2012, 10:16:34 AM1/19/12
to Jerry Powell, Jewell, Rebecca, Gree...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Jerry for your wise addition to this discussion! Our own eminence grise!

One could posit that there are two problems: one w/ PLA potentially going into PET stream and thus argue that PLA should not be used for bottles that could be mistaken for PET in a sorting process, etc. What’s the point of the PLA bottle? There are legit uses for PLA, I don’t see bottles as one.

The other [big one?]  is the OXO additive issue. I am glad that that the plastics conference will take this up. If you already have access to the research that shows the problem w/ OXO additives is truly the problem that APR and others assert, I’d love to see it.