Five Ways to Save the World

Manu Sharma

Feb 24, 2007, 7:20:16 AM2/24/07
to green...@googlegroups.com
A few days ago BBC aired a documentary on five scientific solutions proposed to fight climate change. Three of these involve reflecting back sun's rays and two are about reducing CO2 levels from the atmosphere.

It's a very interesting documentary that has detailed interviews with the scientists proposing them. However, almost all solutions involve meddling with our fragile ecosystem. As the BBC report below says, "most of the scientists are reluctant advocates of these ideas, and all believe we should be cutting down on our use of fossil fuels to heat our homes and drive our cars."

Only one of the solutions, the most promising of the five, appears relatively risk-free and inexpensive. It involve setting up "synthetic tree" farms, much like wind farms, across the world that suck CO2 from the atmosphere.

With the world so dependent on fossil fuels and so little time to reduce emissions we may have to go on a path in which emission reduction and Climate Change mitigation goes hand in hand.

Five Ways to Save the World
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/6298507.stm

If you use Bit-torrent, you can download the hour long documentary here:
http://conspiracycentral.net:6969/torrents/4271a6e8dcb16151d9ab0ab72d38accb0b45bd66.torrent
(free registration needed)

Thanks,
Manu

Ing Walter Hartmann

Feb 24, 2007, 10:58:41 PM2/24/07
to green...@googlegroups.com
And here is number 6 and it is surely less risky:
http://pesn.com/2005/08/02/9600142_IAUS_Solar/

... have a lot of fun !!!
Walter

Manu Sharma

Feb 25, 2007, 4:55:56 AM2/25/07
to green...@googlegroups.com
On 2/25/07, Ing Walter Hartmann <ing.walte...@gmail.com> wrote:
And here is number 6 and it is surely less risky:
http://pesn.com/2005/08/02/9600142_IAUS_Solar/

This sounds too good to be true. If it works as promised, you get clean solar power without using PV and you get carbon sequestration, hydrogen and methanol all from the same device -- at an extremely low cost. Hmm. Something doesn't sound right.

Manu

Ing Walter Hartmann

Feb 25, 2007, 7:54:45 AM2/25/07
to green...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

They are using a type of turbine I happen to know quite well, but not many others know about it.
It has outstanding efficiency, but it wants to be used and built the right way. It's a bit finicky.
The basics of that kind of turbine got patented over a 100 times.

Re solar I came across something that even outdoes their claims so I don't bother to check this one and check the better one as soon as I get around to do it.

Manu Sharma

Feb 25, 2007, 9:09:50 AM2/25/07
to green...@googlegroups.com
On 2/25/07, Ing Walter Hartmann <ing.walte...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

They are using a type of turbine I happen to know quite well, but not many others know about it.
It has outstanding efficiency, but it wants to be used and built the right way. It's a bit finicky.
The basics of that kind of turbine got patented over a 100 times.

Re solar I came across something that even outdoes their claims so I don't bother to check this one and check the better one as soon as I get around to do it.

Interesting. What's that other solar tech?

Ing Walter Hartmann

Feb 25, 2007, 9:18:43 PM2/25/07
to green...@googlegroups.com
The problem lies in evolutionary psychology.