Issues/Questions with latest greasemonkey after ff update

Chris S

Nov 26, 2017, 6:09:00 PM11/26/17
to greasemonkey-users
Got a few questions/issues:

1# How do I edit the scripts with my favorite editor (notepad++)? In the past you could just go to the gm_scripts folder in your firefox profile and edit the scripts that way (or even tell greasemonkey what your favorite editor was). The current editor in gm4 is hard to use as it cannot copy/paste out of the editor and it doesn't highlight matching brackets.

2# One of my current scripts does not work and not producing any error in the console. I put in a test alert and got the alert, I then put in a test alertdfg() and got no alert or no error in the console?

3# Is there some sort of bug with jquery and/or require()? Yesterday when 'fixing' one of my scripts I kept seeing an error in the console about '$' not being defined anytime I did any tweak to my script. The script could work perfectly fine, but the moment I did a tweak (even just a simple alert('test'); ) it would tell me '$' was not defined again. The only way to get jQuery working was to change the value in require() again. So in other words, anytime I did any changes to my gm script id need to change the jquery require() path otherwise the console would spit a '$' is not defined error.

bruno ais

Nov 27, 2017, 3:35:14 AM11/27/17
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
1# You can't. Complain to firefox devs. Greasomnkey guys can't do anything about that.

2# How are you trying to get the log in the console?

Anthony Lieuallen

Nov 28, 2017, 2:59:33 PM11/28/17
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
> 3# Is there some sort of bug with ... require()?

https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/2683

Chris

Nov 29, 2017, 1:14:01 AM11/29/17
to greasemonkey-users
1# Give me their email, ill complain :P Honestly tho, this is rather horrible. Not sure how they even messed up a simple thing like copy/paste.

2# I just hit f12 and look at the built in firefox console. That being said, I found the 'issue'. Turns out code in a method called by setInterval won't spit out errors on the console. And after adding in an alert it looks like the code cannot find jQuery (or turning it into an anonymous function). So for some reason this new version of firefox/GM is not able to find the jQuery reference in my method being called by setInterval?

Chris

Jan 27, 2018, 3:15:17 PM1/27/18
to greasemonkey-users
Bump? Still not sure how to solve this.

Not only are there no errors in the setTimeout function, but it does not seem to be able to use any jQuery. I just need a way for code to run every 3 seconds.

LWChris

Jan 30, 2018, 6:11:07 AM1/30/18
to greasemonkey-users

Am Samstag, 27. Januar 2018 21:15:17 UTC+1 schrieb Chris:
Not only are there no errors in the setTimeout function, but it does not seem to be able to use any jQuery. I just need a way for code to run every 3 seconds.

When you edit the script, does the editor have two tabs, one containing your own script and the other containing the jQuery library source? I often had an issue where the @require dependecies weren't downloaded after the update, so the script wouldn't work anymore. The fix was to cut out the @require statement, close the editor, then open it again, and paste the @require statement again. Then GM recognized it as "new" dependency and downloaded the required source code (and opened the dependency in a second editor tab from then on).

Andre Bernardo

Feb 9, 2018, 12:47:41 PM2/9/18
to greasemonkey-users
Funny how every time something doesn't work as expected it's always Firefox devs' fault. GM used to be an amazing addon but I'm afraid that if GM devs don't start being more open about these issues they'll soon have no userbase left. Blaming Firefox and locking bug reports for no good reason won't help. Sadly most of the people I know has already moved on to other solutions that still work despite the recent Firefox updates.