First Release Candidate for Greasemonkey 0.9.0

Anthony Lieuallen

Nov 27, 2010, 9:56:14 PM11/27/10
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com, greasemo...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/downloads/arantius/greasemonkey/greasemonkey-0.9.0-RC1.xpi

Only two issues remain open for 0.9.0:
https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/labels/0.9.0

One I believe to be an upstream bug, and the other is just a place
holder to remind me to get the latest translations from babelzilla.org
before the final release.

So, as linked above, here's the first release candidate for Greasemonkey
version 0.9.0. Please note that it is marked for Firefox 4
compatibility, so that it can be tested, but Firefox 4 compatibility IS
INCOMPLETE. Barring any big issues brought up, I'd expect the 0.9.0
release to include a few more translations, and a lower max version
compatibility flag (either 3.6.* or 4.0b7, I'm not yet sure which).

The known Firefox 4 related flaws are tagged for the next release:
https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/labels/0.9.1

Please check that list before reporting any Firefox 4 related issues.
Otherwise, we're generally very interested in hearing any feeedback,
positive or negative. The -dev list is the best place to discuss
Greasemonkey's development.

Thanks in advance!

josefec

Nov 30, 2010, 8:07:20 AM11/30/10
to greasemonkey-users
I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this but I haven’t been
able to find anything about this anywhere else. My question is whether
it is by design that there is no possibility of adding custom includes
and excludes to installed scripts in Firefox 4 as it was in Firefox
3.6 with Greasemonkey 0.8. I’ve looked into some bugs on Github,
particularly bug 1140, but I haven’t understood why this is described
as not a regression. I think that this was a functionality that was
there before and now it isn’t there so why is it not a regression? As
I understand, there were some problems with this functionality or
something and that is the reason why it has been removed. Could you
please tell me what they were? For me everything had always been
working fine, all “factory” includes and excludes as well as my custom
ones for all the scripts, and also across the updates of the scripts
from userscripts.org.

Kwah

Nov 30, 2010, 8:30:25 AM11/30/10
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
I've been out of the loop for a while so probably best to verify this
yourself, but IIRC there has been an update that allows you to modify
the header block (includes/exclude/resource/require etc) directly in
the script and changes take effect on the following pageloads.

Instinctively I suspect having a UI for this would be useful for
people who are not comfortable editing the code directly though.

Anthony Lieuallen

Nov 30, 2010, 9:03:18 AM11/30/10
On 11/30/10 08:30, Kwah wrote:
> I've been out of the loop for a while so probably best to verify this
> yourself, but IIRC there has been an update that allows you to modify
> the header block (includes/exclude/resource/require etc) directly in
> the script and changes take effect on the following pageloads.

Correct. You can (and must, if you wish to change it) just edit the
script now.

> Instinctively I suspect having a UI for this would be useful for
> people who are not comfortable editing the code directly though.

As best we could tell, very few people in general change
includes/excludes. Our decision was basically that the cleaner UI
(without it in your face) was a gain for more people than the just
barely more complicated process of editing the file is a loss for those
that need to learn it.

Piyush Soni

Nov 30, 2010, 9:42:52 PM11/30/10
to greasemonkey-users
Oh wow. This is a good change. (changing Include/exclude dynamically)

Anyway, is anyone else seeing some weird problems with this new
Greasemonkey?

- Many times, after clicking a script URL, the "Install" button or
'Show script source" button just don't do anything. The dialog box
stays there unless we click Cancel.
- Is there a new requirement that we have to restart after
uninstalling a script? If I uninstall a script, and say re-install
it(if I don't see the above problem), it doesn't acknowledge to have
installed it. Though if I restart after uninstalling and then install,
it works fine.
- Could there be an ability to just 'type to the script name' in the
script management section rather than searching by scrolling - This
used to be the case in the old (or stable) GreaseMonkey. I hope you
get what I mean.

Thanks,
Piyush

Anthony Lieuallen

Nov 30, 2010, 11:00:28 PM11/30/10
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Piyush Soni <piyus...@gmail.com> wrote:
- Is there a new requirement that we have to restart after
uninstalling a script? If I uninstall a script, and say re-install
it(if I don't see the above problem), it doesn't acknowledge to have
installed it. Though if I restart after uninstalling and then install,
it works fine.

You don't need to restart, you need to close the add-ons window.  You have the option to undo the uninstall (in case it was an accident) until you close the window (/tab in Firefox 4).

On the other hand, I have no idea what happens if you "start" an uninstall, don't close the window, and then install the same script again.  That might be a bug.

- Could there be an ability to just 'type to the script name' in the
script management section rather than searching by scrolling - This
used to be the case in the old (or stable) GreaseMonkey. I hope you
get what I mean.

In Firefox 4, you can use the built in add-on search mechanism.  I'm personally not motivated to build our own search for Firefox 3, given that you get it for free once 4 is released.  (This was much discussed, earlier, and I agreed then that it was good.  But now that I know it's built in in the future, not so much.)

josefec

Dec 1, 2010, 5:05:58 AM12/1/10
to greasemonkey-users
> As best we could tell, very few people in general change
> includes/excludes.  Our decision was basically that the cleaner UI
> (without it in your face) was a gain for more people than the just
> barely more complicated process of editing the file is a loss for those
> that need to learn it.

Well. It wouldn’t be a problem for me, editing the script directly,
but what I really don’t like is that when you update the script, you
have to do edit it again and again. Or if you forget, your settings
are lost. Editing the script before every update and copying my own
includes/exludes, then updating and then pasting it back… This is
quite annoying.

Anthony Lieuallen

Dec 1, 2010, 10:55:02 AM12/1/10
On 12/01/10 05:05, josefec wrote:
> ... what I really don�t like is that when you update the script, you
> have to do edit it again...

This has always been true. In 0.8.x, re-installing a script loses the
custom include/exclude values.

Piyush Soni

Dec 4, 2010, 1:24:02 PM12/4/10
to greasemonkey-users
I think I was not clear enough. I was talking about Firefox 4 and GM
0.9 only. In FF 3 and GM 0.8.*, I did not need to search. In GM 0.8
you can just click once anywhere in the scripts list at the left, and
start typing the name of script you know. It will go to that script
just by virtue of it being in a standard Win32 Control. For example if
I have two scripts name starting with "Better ToodleDo" & "Better
XYZ" , as soon as I type keys B-E-T-T-E-R, it should focus my Toodledo
script, and if I continue typing 'X', it should focus on the Better
XYZ script. Very handy for large no. of scripts.

In GM 0.9.*, doing that doesn't work, may be it's more of a FF problem
as you utilize their extensions UI?(don't know much)
Also, the search you mentioned does find a script in FF 4.0, but then
you can't edit it if you right click. It only shows the 'Show More
Information', & Remove, Disable menu items and buttons.

Also, is no one else seeing the first problem? When I install a script
and re-install newer version after making modifications, very soon the
'Install' button stops working. If I go on to delete all the stale
'numbered' folders of the script, it immediately works again.

Anthony Lieuallen

Dec 5, 2010, 5:13:21 PM12/5/10
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Piyush Soni <piyus...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also, the search you mentioned does find a script in FF 4.0, but then
you can't edit it if you right click. It only shows the 'Show More
Information', & Remove, Disable menu items and buttons.
Also, is no one else seeing the first problem? When I install a script
and re-install newer version after making modifications, very soon the
'Install' button stops working. If I go on to delete all the  stale
'numbered' folders of the script, it immediately works again.

The phrase "re-install newer version after making modifications" makes me think you're doing something wrong.  You don't need to re-install a Greasemonkey script to modify it: just edit it in place, and the new version will be run on the next loaded page.
Message has been deleted

Piyush Soni

Dec 6, 2010, 7:28:49 PM12/6/10
to greasemonkey-users
No, when I say 're-install newer version after making modifications',
I really mean re-install. I work from multiple locations and just
upload the latest version to the userscripts.org website. When I come
home, I just click on the 'Install' Link there without uninstalling it
first. Seems GreaseMonkey creates another folder in that case by
appending a counter. I have seen problems when there are a few of
those lying around, and when I decide to first uninstall one and then
re-install it(I don't remember if I really close the extensions page
or not). The 'Install' button on the dialog, as well as the 'Show
Script source' button do nothing after clicking. Only the cancel
works. When I go and delete all those old folders, it works again. I
don't have the exact steps to reproduce, but it is on these lines and
I'm certainly not dreaming or something. :). I will repost if I find
the specific steps and see the source as well when it fails.

Thanks,
Piyush

On Dec 5, 4:13 pm, Anthony Lieuallen <arant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Piyush Soni <piyushs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, the search you mentioned does find a script in FF 4.0, but then
> > you can't edit it if you right click. It only shows the 'Show More
> > Information', & Remove, Disable menu items and buttons.
>
> That's a bug.https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/issue/1237

Kwah

Dec 6, 2010, 7:40:06 PM12/6/10
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
I suspect 're-install a new version' means 'install a script that is
currently installed that has an official version higher than the one
currently installed' or '(re)install a script that is already
installed, overwriting any changes ive made with this version instead'
rather than its literal sense.

Jay Rossiter / Signe

Dec 22, 2010, 7:40:33 AM12/22/10
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Crossposting from greasemonkey-dev:

I just added https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/issue/1242

This seems like a critical blocker, to me.  If this is an intentional
change, users need to be made aware of it at install-time somehow.

Losing all of your preferences for a script can be an incredible
setback in terms of time. I've spent many hours tuning preferences for
specific sites - to have them wiped out simply due to upgrading is
atrocious.

Anthony Lieuallen

Dec 22, 2010, 11:08:26 AM12/22/10
On 2010-12-22 7:40 AM, Jay Rossiter / Signe wrote:
> Crossposting from greasemonkey-dev:

Please don't. The -dev list is where discussion of the development of
core greasemonkey happens, and is where bugs should be discussed. As I

Jay Rossiter / Signe

Dec 22, 2010, 1:25:51 PM12/22/10
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Lieuallen

With a normal bug, I wouldn't, but since you announced this test build on
-users, I felt that anyone using it might want to be aware of a critical issue.

Gerik Zambrano

Dec 28, 2010, 6:56:18 AM12/28/10
to greasemonkey-users
no firefox 4???? XD what? cuando entre firefox 4 entones todo quedara
parado ya que todos migraran en manada :/

On 27 nov, 23:56, Anthony Lieuallen <arant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://github.com/downloads/arantius/greasemonkey/greasemonkey-0.9.0...

Philipp Krüger

Jan 14, 2011, 11:30:42 AM1/14/11
to greasemonkey-users
Generally speaking, I'm more than satisfied with the 0.9 RC1 - it
seems to work without any apparent problems in FF4b8. There remains
one issue though that I would like to address and it is of ergonomical
character: at the moment, Greasemonkey is reachable via a small icon
in the add-on-bar only. I would like to be able to rearrange the GM
icon just like I can do with NoScript and Adblock++ icons (they seem
to be of a different type since I can actually move them about by
drag'n'drop). Eventually, I'd like to disable the add-on-bar on the
bottom of my browser to save the screen-space and instead put all the
buttons I actually use somewhere near or in the address-bar. I don't
need all the status icons of Perspectives and so on but I do sometimes
need to activate or deactivate GM-scripts.

Thanks for all the work and hope to see it happening!

All the best!

On 28 Nov. 2010, 03:56, Anthony Lieuallen <arant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://github.com/downloads/arantius/greasemonkey/greasemonkey-0.9.0...

jo5...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2011, 11:32:48 AM1/14/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Heck I just want it to work!

Anthony Lieuallen

Jan 14, 2011, 11:46:27 AM1/14/11
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Philipp Krüger <p.a.c....@googlemail.com> wrote:
.. at the moment, Greasemonkey is reachable via a small icon
in the add-on-bar only. .. Eventually, I'd like to disable the add-on-bar on the
bottom of my browser ..