bug with Mac Greasemonkey script installation

Rich Baldwin

Feb 17, 2011, 11:28:18 PM2/17/11
to greasemonkey-users
I wonder if this is the best place to set this bug report. If not,
please direct me where I should send it.

I am unable to install Greasemonkey scripts at all.

I am using Mac 10.5.8, FF 3.6.13, and have installed Greasemonkey
0.9.1. I followed the instructions about making a clean profile,
listed here:
http://wiki.greasespot.net/Troubleshooting_%28Users%29
I followed all the instructions, exactly as listed.

Once I'd installed GM, I restarted and got the following error after
restart:
Error: Warning: unrecognized command line flag -foreground
Source File: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsBrowserContentHandler.js
Line: 708

And then, when I clicked on an install script link online, but before
I pressed the install button, I received the following error:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)
[nsIAlertsService.showAlertNotification]" nsresult: "0x80040111
(NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame ::
file:///Users/macuser/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/test%20profile/extensions/%7Be4a8a97b-f2ed-450b-b12d-ee082ba24781%7D/modules/GM_notification.js
:: GM_notification :: line 22" data: no]

I never received any other error. Pressing the 'install' button did
absolutely nothing -- only the 'cancel' button worked.

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should do?

Danny

Mar 4, 2011, 7:38:54 AM3/4/11
to greasemonkey-users
Try installing Growl. I had pretty much the same problem and that
fixed it. My guess is that the current version of GM is designed to
use Growl for notifications (e.g., script successfully installed) and
that if it doesn't find Growl it just chokes.

Anthony Lieuallen

Mar 4, 2011, 9:15:06 AM3/4/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
On 03/04/11 07:38, Danny wrote:
> Try installing Growl. I had pretty much the same problem and that
> fixed it. My guess is that the current version of GM is designed to
> use Growl for notifications (e.g., script successfully installed) and
> that if it doesn't find Growl it just chokes.

It's _designed_ to check for, use if found, and fall back to an
alternative if it is not found. Something about the fall back logic is
broken, in some sort of case. When building, I tested without Growl,
with Growl installed and not running, and installed and running, and all
worked. I'm not sure exactly where the failure lies.