Apple OS: Greasemonkey v0.9.x breaks install for user scripts???

Victoria

Feb 11, 2011, 5:39:27 PM2/11/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

Updated to v0.9.0 and then v0.9.1 of Greasemonkey and other than the loss of the handy Manage User Scripts interface (to selectively disable scripts and re-enable them later WITHOUT having to Restart Firefox to implement), did not at first notice any problems.

BUT, when I decided to install a few more scripts, I was totally unable to do so without reverting to GM v0.8.2...

I've checked with a few colleagues who are not having this problem (all PC users) and have colleagues running Mac OS who are suffering the same fate I did after updating Greasemonkey.

Mac OS 10.6.6 with Firefox 3.6.13 ... am not technically savvy about how Greasemonkey and user scripts work and have no clue why v0.9.x would break my ability to install scripts... here's a short list of the scripts (used on Flickr) I cannot install (or update) when running v0.9.x of GM:

Trailr: http://vispillo.org/trailr-1.2.1-fixed.user.js

ANY of Steeev's marvelous Flickr scripts found here: http://steeev.freehostia.com/flickr/

Flickr - Move comment form up: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/82360

Since I really NEED the ability to install (and/or update scripts) and also MUCH prefer the older GM for selectively enabling and disabling scripts 'on the fly' using the Manage User Scripts interface, I have reverted my version of GM. However, I expect that I will eventually encounter problems of a different sort so am reporting this issue in case the folks working on GM haven't already heard about it.

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 15, 2011, 9:38:53 AM2/15/11
On 02/11/11 17:39, Victoria wrote:
> Updated to v0.9.0 and then v0.9.1 of Greasemonkey and other than the loss of
> the handy Manage User Scripts interface (to selectively disable scripts and
> re-enable them later WITHOUT having to Restart Firefox to implement)...

This feature has not been removed, only moved. It is now the "User
Scripts" tab of the add-ons dialog. All the scripts are listed there,
and disable/enable changes take effect immediately.

> BUT, when I decided to install a few more scripts, I was totally unable to
> do so without reverting to GM v0.8.2...
>
> I've checked with a few colleagues who are not having this problem (all PC
> users) and have colleagues running Mac OS who are suffering the same fate I
> did after updating Greasemonkey.

On Mac OS 10.5.8, Firefox 3.6.13, I can install all of the scripts you
mentioned which I tried. Could you run through our Troubleshooting
steps and report the results?

http://wiki.greasespot.net/Troubleshooting_%28Users%29

Matt

Feb 16, 2011, 4:22:24 PM2/16/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
I was having the same problem as Victoria with GM 0.9.1, FF 3.6.13, Mac OS 10.6.6.  No GM scripts would install; clicking the "install" button after the countdown did nothing.  Nothing appeared in the error console.  On my girlfriend's account on the same machine, I upgraded her installation of GM from 0.82 (where it installed fine) to 0.91, and FF would freeze every time I tried to install a script with no countdown (only other extension was Invisible Hand 3.0.2).

However, after I went back to my own account and disabling every other extension I had running, I was able to install scripts without any problem.  Here are the other extensions which I had running at the time:
Adblock Plus 1.3.3
BlackSheep 1.6
Close n Forget 0.11.1
DownThemAll! 2.0.1
Google Gears 0.5.36
HTTPS-everywhere 0.9.4
InvisibleHand 3.0.2
LastPass 1.72
Read It Later 2.1.1
TryAgain 3.4.6

Victoria

Feb 17, 2011, 1:42:31 PM2/17/11
to greasemonkey-users
I wonder if the author(s) of GM have anything to say about this
problem... It seems to me that we should not have to go through what
Matt did in order to install scripts???

I have seen numerous reports of this issue (scripts not installing w/
GM 0.9.1, FF 3.6.13, Mac OS 10.6.6) and am still waiting/hoping for a
solution that doesn't involve turning off other extensions (as Matt
did) OR reverting to GM 0.8.2... as I did.

arantius

Feb 18, 2011, 9:41:00 AM2/18/11
to greasemonkey-users
On Feb 17, 1:42 pm, Victoria <torypor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if the author(s) of GM have anything to say about this
> problem.

Then just look at the message I wrote in reply to you, already. It
works for me. If you want it fixed, we need more information.

> am still waiting/hoping for a
> solution that doesn't involve turning off other extensions

With the process detailed in the link I already gave you, figuring out
which extension is causing the problem, if any, is A) very valuable
and B) very easy for anyone to do, only time consuming. Even easier
for you, because you already know all the extensions, where they came
from, etc.

Greasemonkey is open source. Contributors are volunteers. Help us
help you.

Victoria

Feb 20, 2011, 6:46:36 PM2/20/11
to greasemonkey-users
I seem to be dead in the water with GM 0.9.1, Firefox 3.6.13 and OS
10.6.6 and have followed the troubleshooting steps per your
suggestion...

1- disabled all other extensions, restarted Firefox, updated GM to
v0.9.1 with scripts that were already installed left in place in
original profile
2- attempted to update one script... Firefox completely froze and I
had to crash out of it at which point I...
3- created a fresh profile for testing and checked to make sure no
extensions/add-ons/etc. were present in my clean Firefox profile.
4- opened Error Console and found on start-up with NOTHING installed,
happens EVERY time I start up Firefox (with or without GM installed)
the following error (offset by -------- separators from rest of
message)
Error: Warning: unrecognized command line flag -foreground

Source File: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsBrowserContentHandler.js
Line: 708
5- forged ahead anyway with testing and attempted to install a
script... and then attempted to install another script... gave up
after three scripts failed with the identical error message in the
Error Console as follows (------)
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)
[nsIAlertsService.showAlertNotification]" nsresult: "0x80040111
(NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame ::
file:///Users/tory/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/yx7alf2y.test/extensions/%7Be4a8a97b-f2ed-450b-b12d-ee082ba24781%7D/modules/GM_notification.js
:: GM_notification :: line 22" data: no]

Again, my apologies for not catching your reply earlier on... somehow
the notification from the Users Group that included your reply didn't
register with me... between my trying to read it on my iPhone (FAIL)
and then forgetting to check when I got back to my computer later in
the day.

As for the Manage User Scripts feature... as near as I can tell (happy
to be told I'm wrong), there is no way to order the scripts the way I
want to order them (assuming I can ever get GM 0.9.x to work at all)?
The 0.8.x... version interface allowed dragging scripts up and down in
the Manage User Scripts window which v0.9.x does not seem to allow???
Unless this is another symptom of it not working properly for me. (as
you noted, it is possible to selectively enable/disable without
restarting Firefox... I think I somehow missed that in my frustration
with the rest of the script issues I'm having)

Scott

Feb 25, 2011, 9:52:20 AM2/25/11
to greasemonkey-users
I tried what was requested it doesn't show anything in the console
log.

I disabled every plugin and installed greasemonkey by itself I
installed what I would normally install on the previous version
before .9 or .9.1 and it wouldn't install it would sit at the install
window.

I created new user profile for myself to test instead of creating a
new FF profile because it would be more clean than going into terminal
running that command and then checking console. Plus I didn't want to
have any plists from my profile to interfere.

I haven't went to the extreme of Erase and install yet I can live with
using .8.2 on my computer at home and work use the new version since
it is a PC.

I was attempting to one of 3 different scripts
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/80532
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/84343
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/50784

Each would freeze on installing.

I had to downgrade to .8.2 to get them to install. This happened on FF
4 Beta 11 or 3.6.13. Test on both.

Ex Apple Tech support here so I know how to check console terminal and
pull plists and pull from application support.

Dew Wrobel

Mar 3, 2011, 3:30:22 PM3/3/11
to greasemonkey-users
Not to beat a dead horse, but I am also having the same problem.

I am running Firefox 3.6.14, Greasemonkey 0.9.1 and Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Since my current profile wasn't working, and I didn't want to muddy
the waters, I went
and created a new profile without any Add-Ons/Extensions.

I went and added Greasemonkey and restarted Firefox.

Tried to install a handful of different GM scripts without any luck.
Would get the following message
in the Error Console every time I tried to install a script:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)
[nsIAlertsService.showAlertNotification]" nsresult: "0x80040111
(NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame ::
file:///Users/dummy/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/lpf9vvhk.Testing/extensions/%7Be4a8a97b-f2ed-450b-b12d-ee082ba24781%7D/modules/GM_notification.js

Dew Wrobel

Mar 3, 2011, 3:51:56 PM3/3/11
to greasemonkey-users
Hello again....Not sure if this will have the Greasemonkey
developers...

But I went and uninstalled GM 0.9.1 and installed the older
0.8.20100408.6 version.

Restarted Firefox and attempted to install a script....Guess what...It
Worked.

I went through and installed half a dozen different GM script at
random.

Checked the Error Console while doing the installs. No errors were
reported

Not sure what code in 0.9.x is breaking GM on the Mac. But it doesn't
appear to be Browser or OS specific since
different version of Firefox and Mac OS X are having the same problem.

Anthony Lieuallen

Mar 3, 2011, 4:13:58 PM3/3/11
On 03/03/11 15:30, Dew Wrobel wrote:
> Not to beat a dead horse, but I am also having the same problem.
> ..

> [nsIAlertsService.showAlertNotification]" nsresult: "0x80040111
> (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame ::
>..

As I pointed out (whoops, only) in the issue where we're tracking this,
making sure Growl is installed and working should work around this
issue. Long term, we should make it work either way.

https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/1292

Danny

Mar 4, 2011, 7:42:52 AM3/4/11
to greasemonkey-users
The solution to this seems to be to install Growl and make sure it's
up and running. The current version of GM needs Growl for
notifications (e.g., script installed successfully) and gets stuck if
it can't find Growl.