Call to script authors: GM_registerMenuCommand?

Anthony Lieuallen

Mar 29, 2011, 2:46:52 PM3/29/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Ref: http://groups.google.com/group/greasemonkey-dev/t/4acc15e9b56ac204

Greasemonkey is trying to adapt to the model that Firefox 4 is
encouraging/forcing on extensions; trying to get rid of the icon in the
status bar. This has prompted some rewrites to attempt to support
Firefox 3 as-is for some transition period, while still supporting
Firefox 4 in the newer style.

As part of this work, I more-or-less intentionally broke accelerator
keys for GM_registerMenuCommand(). I've since gone back and forth a few
times as to whether I thought they ever worked correctly, and if I
should continue it a priority to make them work before I call this task
"finished".

So: do you use GM_registerMenuCommand()? Do you use the accelKey and
accelModifiers parameters? If so, do you see them _work_? The best I
have been able to come up with so far is seeing them mostly work, but
rapidly break as I open/close tabs and load pages. I've never used this
feature myself and I don't know of any good documentation for it. I'm
starting to consider getting rid of accelerator keys altogether.

So, if you ...
A) Use these features
B) Want these features to remain
C) Can help me understand how this is supposed to work, and prove that
it ever did in the past (a script that runs in Firefox 3.6 +
Greasemonkey 0.8, and a description of how it is supposed to work would
be great)
... Please get in touch with me.

I'd prefer, if possible, that you communicate with the entire
development community at greasemo...@googlegroups.com . You can
also email me directly at aran...@gmail.com . Thanks.

PJH

Mar 29, 2011, 3:38:18 PM3/29/11
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Anthony Lieuallen <aran...@gmail.com> wrote:
So: do you use GM_registerMenuCommand()?

Yes.

Do you use the accelKey and accelModifiers parameters?

No.

If so, do you see them _work_?

Not as I'd expect. See the repeating items at <http://shabble.co.uk/images/gm.png> - that screenshot taken while using '2011.03.28.nightly' on FF4.0

The items themselves are for en/disabling behaviour, and I'm unaware of any (convenient) alternative interface that users could use instead. (Grubbing around in about:config I don't really consider convenient I'm afraid.)

The best I have been able to come up with so far is seeing them mostly work, but rapidly break as I open/close tabs and load pages.  I've never used this feature myself and I don't know of any good documentation for it.  I'm starting to consider getting rid of accelerator keys altogether.

So, if you ...
A) Use these features
B) Want these features to remain
C) Can help me understand how this is supposed to work, and prove that it ever did in the past (a script that runs in Firefox 3.6 + Greasemonkey 0.8, and a description of how it is supposed to work would be great)

I don't seem to have had problems with the script in the past on 3.6.

The script I'm using is available at <https://code.google.com/p/tdwtfmt/source/browse/trunk/tdwtfmt.user.js>, the function calls are all near the end.

Selecting an item while using google.com should, after auto-refreshing the displayed page, toggle the text of the menu item (as well as change the behaviour of the rest of the script.)

... Please get in touch with me.

--
PJH

Anthony Lieuallen

Mar 29, 2011, 3:42:33 PM3/29/11
On 03/29/11 15:38, PJH wrote:
>> > Do you use the accelKey and accelModifiers parameters?
> No.
>> > If so, do you see them_work_?
> Not as I'd expect. See the repeating items at<
> http://shabble.co.uk/images/gm.png> - that screenshot taken while using
> '2011.03.28.nightly' on FF4.0

Thanks for the feedback, but you said you don't use them. (The
accelerators are specifically what I am interested in at this moment.)

You're reporting a completely different, known, behavior in unreleased
software. The nightlies are never guaranteed to be working. You should
not be using them for regular day-to-day work, only if you have reason
to be experimenting with a feature currently in development.

https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues#issue/1321

(But there's also a chance that the behavior in relation to frames has
changed in the nightlies. Which would be a second cause of this. If
you can verify that it's frames, and not something else, causing this
that would be valuable. Please communicate in the issue linked.)

PJH

Mar 29, 2011, 4:01:41 PM3/29/11

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Anthony Lieuallen <aran...@gmail.com> wrote:
The accelerators are specifically what I am interested in at this moment

Sorry - thought you were after the issue in 1321 due to your first question.

:)

--
PJH

Anthony Lieuallen

Mar 29, 2011, 4:07:35 PM3/29/11
On 03/29/11 16:01, PJH wrote:
> Sorry - thought you were after the issue in 1321 due to your first question.

No worries.

Piglet

Mar 31, 2011, 5:48:06 AM3/31/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I use GM_registerMenuCommand, but don't use accelerators and would have no issue with them not continuing to be available.

I do have a feature request in the area of GM_registerMenuCommand - but will start a separate thread for that.