Tamil Mahabharatham

விஜயராகவன்

Jan 5, 2014, 1:19:59 PM1/5/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com
A hundred years back a Tamil translation of Mahabharatham was brought out by M.V.Ramanujacharya. Starting from 1908 , all the 18 parvas were brought out over a period of 25 years. It was also called Kumbakonam Edition.

One can see The Hindu's book review as they were published.

One can download 15 out of 18 parvas from archive.org. Only 12, 13 and 14 parvas are missing

cheers

Vijayaraghavan

Nalamana Covai

May 3, 2016, 5:27:37 AM5/3/16
to Grantha கிரந்தம்
Dear Vijayaraghavan,

And further a super article was appeared in Kalachuvadu in the following link. http://www.kalachuvadu.com/issue-196/page75.asp

Regards,
k.mohan kumar
CEO Nalamana Covai

Raguveeradayal Thiruppathi Iyengar

May 3, 2016, 5:39:45 AM5/3/16
to granth...@googlegroups.com, Grantha கிரந்தம்

Adiyen dasan.
One more information.
One Sri Arulselva Perarasan, is doing a very great service. He is writing mahabharatham in Tamil based on Ganguli's book. Very wonderful. Please visit mahabharatham.arasan.info

Sent from TypeApp

Vijay Vanbakkam

May 3, 2016, 5:52:44 AM5/3/16
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

Arulselvan writes that he came to know of MVR' s Kumbakonam edition only after he was well into his translation of Ganguli's English translation. That shows Kumbakonam edition has been practically forgotten till recently in spite of the fact that it was done by by Tamils for Tamils directly from the original and "the services of many of the ablest Sanskrit scholars in the Presidency were enlisted "  as the Hindu report of 1932 says.

For translations, I prefer something directly from the original like this, instead if through intermediaries.

Regards

V.C.Vijayaraghavan
Brussels

Subject: Re: Tamil Mahabharatham
From: raja...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 15:09:38 +0530
To: granth...@googlegroups.com
CC: granth...@googlegroups.com

Vijay Vanbakkam

May 3, 2016, 5:57:44 AM5/3/16
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Writer Jeyamohan is also doing a Mahabharatham in Tamil. It looks like it is an "adaption" rather than line to line translation. I have not read any of it. Knowledgeable people say he has inserted his own சரக்கு

Vijayaraghavan

From: vcv...@hotmail.com
To: granth...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 09:52:42 +0000

S. K

May 3, 2016, 12:03:28 PM5/3/16
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I wish to share this information that MVR' s Kumbakonam edition of Mahabharatha Parvangal has been republished by Sri Chakra Publications and its second edition has come out and is for sale. It is in 9 volumes. I purchased one set for keeps for the sake of posterity (in addition to my own reading).

The publisher's number is +91 98946 61259

FB page:: https://www.facebook.com/greatindianepics

S.K
http://www.cyberbrahma.com/

Vijay Vanbakkam

May 3, 2016, 12:49:00 PM5/3/16
to granth...@googlegroups.com

I asked my nephew in Madras to buy this set for me  2 years back - don't know what happened.

Is it printed from the same typesets as before, giving a near identical look?

From: ski...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 16:04:36 +0530
To: granth...@googlegroups.com