Record numbers of care home providers are slipping into administration

Sandman

Apr 29, 2013, 5:11:18 AM4/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
How many care home patients will be moved because of this, how many
will fall victim to premature deaths, because of this, once again the vulnerable
become the whipping boy while ministers prevaricate over their actions.

jaria

Apr 29, 2013, 5:45:08 AM4/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
This puzzles me Sandman as I know some of these rest home owners and they are doing very nicely thank you. In fact I ran into one at the shops on Saturday not the ordinary cabin for them on a cruise but one of Cunards suits.
Compare with a hotel food wise for a start and the great majority of staff are carers who are not at the top of the pay scale.Is it Admin staff again?

Sandman

Apr 29, 2013, 6:34:46 AM4/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I know of a home not far from me Jar, where a mate of mine has his mother-
in-law, we estimated it's income at over £1.7 million, and it's running costs
including wages, less than a million, it is owned by a former matron and her
son, who cut more corners than they should, to maximise profits, and it's the
must make maximum profits, that is killing them.

jaria

Apr 29, 2013, 9:00:40 AM4/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
One of my pals married an ex nurse he was a gas fitter, they had a waiting list for their place ,sold it for an ex hotel and have now sol out again . Both got open top Bentleys horses in England . Doesn't like these luxury hotels because the people don't speak the same language as he does. We meet up at the local pub for a beer. Last time he was collecting for people to fill a skip to send to Africa etc . I told him I'd contribute to a load of condoms, not. Flicker of a smile but you can't have. Everything can you

Briar

Apr 30, 2013, 5:27:00 AM4/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Dear Sandman,

I'm going to behave like a Giraffe and stick my long neck out on this
-

What is the point of having these "Care Homes" for the elderly undead?

Personally, I would rather be dead than have to be put in one of them.

Apart from all the horror stories, which are founded in fact, this I
know having taken people to visit their relatives who were in them,
what is the point of being artificially kept just alive when one has
lost one's mind, one's mobility, once can no longer handle bodily
functions like eating, peeing and having a shit, one cannot dress and
undress oneself, or wash... ?

Even the very expensive, "posh" ones have dreadful things going on in
them.

When we can no longer function as human beings, is that not nature
signalling us that the time has come to say goodbye ?

Death and dying is a horrible process for everyone, the dying, the
ones that love them, and even the officials who have to deal with all
the paperwork and arguments among relatives and creditors etc
afterwards.

I suppose for now it is still necessary, since human bodies eventually
wear out, our investments into how to kill more people far exceed our
investments into prolonging healthy human lives, so, whilst a few
experts do reckon that within current life times there will be a few
people that will live a thousand years (Look up SENS for details!),
but it seems to me a nasty way of running a universe to have organisms
that have even become self aware, yet having them wear out and have to
decay and die. The unpleasant and final nature of death is why humans
invented religions and gods - not that they have been any help. I
once had the idea to record peoples' voices and favorite jokes and
stories about themselves, so that a copy of their personality could be
stored in a computer after they died and people could ring them up and
have a chat. In time the dead people in the computer would have inter-
reacted with one another, and one would be able to phone up Granny
and she would tell one all about the cruise she had just taken with
Uncle Albert... Of course, members of this religion would have to
contribute every year a fee to maintain the Granny persona in the
computer, otherwise she would be deleted ! Apart from being a
fantastic way to make a profit out of people dying, this is close to
what the so called Church of Latterday Saints (aka Mormons) already
do, collecting family records, marrying dead people to each other, and
so on. Since most of what people say to each other is very similar,
the memory capacity would not be outrageously big.

This would be the first ever religion ever to actually provide PROOF
of a "life" after death !

My children have accepted from me that, when I find it all too hard to
keep my failing body going, they will let me walk into the sea. This
will be a way of recycling my physical part, without costs of
funerals, that demand I take out a life assurance and make another
insurance company rich. This will take up no precious land. No
memorials, my memory lives on in my works and in the genes I passed on
to my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren by then I
hope, possibly even by then some great great grandchildren too ! (I
have no intention of departing this life for many many years!)

On Apr 29, 10:11 am, Sandman <joere...@aol.com> wrote:
> How many care home patients will be moved because of this, how many
> will fall victim to premature deaths, because of this, once again the
> vulnerable
> become the whipping boy while ministers prevaricate over their actions.
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/care-homes-on-the-brin...

jaria

Apr 30, 2013, 6:56:06 AM4/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Its an argument thats been going on for some time now Briar.
Whos going to make the decision to finish them off?
I used to visit my Mother whos body was on the way out but the mind was still sharp and capable of having a good laugh etc.
What sort of world would it be ? theres enough objections to the Liverpool pathway.
If a person is in pain and theres no quality to life thats maybe another story but its not the one your are proposing

Trog

Apr 30, 2013, 1:17:13 PM4/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
We need to differentiate between elderly retirement homes, and nursing
care homes Different staffing requirements are needed.is my
understanding..The majority are privately run and owned, just
buisinesses, and where 'free care' is offered it is on a contractual
basis with the council.

On Apr 29, 10:11 am, Sandman <joere...@aol.com> wrote:
> How many care home patients will be moved because of this, how many
> will fall victim to premature deaths, because of this, once again the
> vulnerable
> become the whipping boy while ministers prevaricate over their actions.
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/care-homes-on-the-brin...

jaria

Apr 30, 2013, 1:56:35 PM4/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
In the privately owned homes the local council will pay direct for some patients unable to afford the fees in my experience