Earth's Spin is Slowing Down !

Briar

Jun 30, 2012, 4:11:32 PM6/30/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Tonight at 1 second before midnight, the atomic clock in London that
is the ultimate source of the time, will have an extra second added
before midnight, because the spinning Earth is slowing down.

I calculated that in 8 760 years' time the days will have to have 25
hours. This is not a new thing, the earth's spin on its axis has been
slowly slowing down since shortly after it settled in its present
orbit. The instinctive length of day for animals alive today, if they
are deprived of light and any outside indication, is around 16 -18
hours, because their instinctive diurnal rhythm was established some
millions of years ago, as the groups they belong to evolved. I
believe they call it the Circassian Rhythm (I would look it up if I
could locate where the book is, but I cannot and so I am telling you
this from memory, which is no longer 100 % reliable, alas).

Eventually the Earth will probably reach a state where its year is as
long as its day, so that the same hemisphere will be in sunlight and
the opposite in darkness - a situation like the moon has with the
earth already. One side we always see at night, the other faces away
from the Earth so we never knew what it was like until we sent the
first rockets up and round the back to take photos !

Is this important ? Well, yes it is, ultimately. We may be able to
speed it up again, because serious harm would be done to all life
forms on our planet if we let this happen. However, we will probably
be extinct before that happens.

Meanwhile, if anyone feels that things are getting more boring, and
the days are getting longer, you are probably right, but with the
polly-ticklers being so boring, that is probably the reason.

Anyway, this is a FACT, there need be no discussion about it and it
won't change whatever opinions you all have about it (in which respect
it is the same as the opinions people express on here - they too make
zero difference to outcomes anyway ! Now, THERE is a thought !

Trueblue

Jun 30, 2012, 4:46:39 PM6/30/12

On Jun 30, 9:11 pm, Briar <BriarLor...@aol.com> wrote:

> I calculated that in 8 760 years' time the days will have to have 25
> hours.  This is not a new thing, the earth's spin on its axis has been
> slowly slowing down since shortly after it settled in its present
> orbit.

And in that time the human presence on this lump of molten Iron with a
crust is about 1 second of a 24 hour day and will probably not exist
fo second more

Jonksy

Jun 30, 2012, 5:07:50 PM6/30/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I blame the tories..

Trueblue

Jun 30, 2012, 5:10:29 PM6/30/12

On Jun 30, 10:07 pm, Jonksy <jon...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I blame the tories..

Being braindead you would.!

Jonksy

Jun 30, 2012, 5:14:16 PM6/30/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Yawwwn I thought I would get it in before you and the other braindead blamed labour the unions or the lib dems locky..

Briar

Jul 1, 2012, 12:06:00 AM7/1/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Whoops ! I should have listened more carefully. Seems that they only
have to add this second every 4th year, just like with a leapYEAR
adding an extra day, so it will be yr 39052 before the day becomes 25
hours long, not yr 10772. Most of us alive today will be dead before
then.

I have the perfect epitaph for you, Jonksy, so if you are prudent (a
Favorite word of your favorite I would guess former CHANCELLOR) you
could order the engraving NOW, to save money. People in 10 773 AD
will, after careful research to decipher your ancient monument be
left wondering what a Tory was - some extinct shark-like denizen of
the vast ocean that existed back then, they will most likely
conclude...

Here lies what is left of Brother
Jonksy

"I blame the Tories"

Jonksy, thus will you be remembered, even after the strange species
Homo 'sapiens' is no more.
> > Being braindead you would.!- Hide quoted text -

Anthonychng

Jul 1, 2012, 1:29:48 PM7/1/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
And when the world actually stops Briar, Maggie will get the blame.
Descendents of Junky (if he has any that is) , slope headed, knuckles
brushing the ground, will be muttering "ugh...ugh...s`McGee`s
forlt!!!!!" And tinman`s will be slithering along behind.....no
actual words, just , about 10 minutes later, a slow nod of the head
and a lazy swish of the tail.

Anthonychng

Jul 1, 2012, 1:35:08 PM7/1/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
No Briar, not quite right. It will be "here lies the (the other
meaning of the word) "*******y
f****ng .......bu******r.........Junky....known to his friends
as..............what NO friends?" His offspring (did he have any)
would have used the usual "Gone but not forgotten" epitaph, but they
felt the sooner forgotten the better. Hence the above.

Jonksy

Jul 1, 2012, 2:21:36 PM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Sandman

Jul 1, 2012, 2:48:47 PM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Only one thing for it Briar, place some monster windmills round
the equator.

Trueblue

Jul 1, 2012, 4:29:57 PM7/1/12

On Jul 1, 7:48 pm, Sandman <joere...@aol.com> wrote:
> Only one thing for it Briar, place some monster windmills round
> the equator.

LOL Sandy, look on the bright side, the further we move away from the
Sun the less global warming

jar

Jul 1, 2012, 4:46:56 PM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Jonskys most inteeligent post of the week!!

Jonksy

Jul 1, 2012, 4:54:33 PM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Oh look what the cat dragged in,,

Briar

Jul 1, 2012, 6:02:56 PM7/1/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Jonksy,

I now wish I had not posted that. I want to apologise to you.
You are at least entitled to express an opinion about anything
as I am, and we all write daft things sometimes, including me,
like just then, and like those who made more hurtful comments.

Please will you forgive me ?

On Jul 1, 9:54 pm, Jonksy <jon...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Oh look what the cat dragged in,,
>

> On Sunday, 1 July 2012 21:46:56 UTC+1, jar wrote:
>
> > Jonskys most inteeligent post of the week!!
>
> > On Sunday, July 1, 2012 7:21:36 PM UTC+1, Jonksy wrote:
>
> >> *
> >> YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN­NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
> >> *

Jonksy

Jul 1, 2012, 6:15:05 PM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Nothing to forgive Briar...I am used to the braindead by now and of course they never ever challenge anything and just name call...They are the ones who look what they are...So Once again Briar you have done nothing which requires forgiveness and it was very thoughtful of you...((((Briar))))