About time, Food stamps instead of cash for benefit dependents

Trueblue

Mar 27, 2013, 7:14:10 PM3/27/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com

Jane

Mar 27, 2013, 8:15:42 PM3/27/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
This article contains two main points, that small immediate grants will be made locally and that many councils are expected to issue vouchers instead of cash.

Small immediate payments or loans have for very many years been made locally, that's how come they're immediate.  Immediate doesn't mean after forms have been filled and a response received from central gvt.

That central gvt expects that 'many' LAs will set up voucher schemes means that many will not and that the gvt isn't to compel them to toe the line.  This strikes me as yet more wishful thinking dressed up as policy and it may hit the dust like so much else.

It's wryly amusing that this Tory Gvt who have repeatedly shown that they couldn't organise a wool shop expects that LAs will be giving out vouchers next week even tho Gvt have not actually made the set-up allowance available yet.

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:14:10 PM UTC, Trueblue wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299931/Food-stamps-replace-cash-handouts-poor-vulnerable-benefits-shake-up.html

GBur3

Mar 28, 2013, 2:11:25 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Pete, I supported this measure on the old aol board and was supported by Al Wood (remember him?). I seem to remember you were opposed at the time.

ewill

Mar 28, 2013, 2:32:31 PM3/28/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
All benefits should be paid this way and for named items only

On 27 Mar, 23:14, Trueblue <V6jtrichar...@aim.com> wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299931/Food-stamps-replace-c...

GBur3

Mar 28, 2013, 3:01:37 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
What about people on invalidity and people who are out of work through no fault of their own and searching for work?

I believe child benefit should be paid in this way. Certain hardship payments and benefits to the long term unemployed could also be looked at. But I don't believe in paying all benefits this way.

GBur3

Mar 28, 2013, 3:01:38 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com

ewill

Mar 28, 2013, 3:09:03 PM3/28/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Sorry , should have said the working age able scrounging for more than
6 months should only be given vouchers for named items - no cash
whatsoever

<<out of work through no fault of their own and searching for work>>

search harder-anyone can get a job within 6 months

<<I believe child benefit should be paid in this way>>

OK -up to two only

Affa

Mar 28, 2013, 3:13:38 PM3/28/13

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:01:37 PM UTC, GBur3 wrote:

What about people on invalidity and people who are out of work through no fault of their own and searching for work?

I believe child benefit should be paid in this way. Certain hardship payments and benefits to the long term unemployed could also be looked at. But I don't believe in paying all benefits this way.

People will still sell them, others will buy them, a market in vouches will arise - how can the gov't ensure only
those in receipt of vouches can use the vouches?

Some shop keepers will exchange vouchers for other goods (to profit) and redeem the vouches as if properly used.
There are no safeguards ......... only scams and scammers.

ewill

Mar 28, 2013, 3:46:48 PM3/28/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
<how can the gov't ensure only
those in receipt of vouches can use the vouches? >>

they can't and why should they?

If a voucher is issued for food items and the scrounger chooses to
''sell'' the voucher for cash for fags/bingo/booze/drugs that's the
scrounger's own lookout if they and offspring go without.They chose
that course of action. If they were given cash they'd only do the same-
a voucher puts another hurdle in the way of getting the cash.

<<Some shop keepers >>

Up to the govt to do a deal with one of the major supermarket chains
where the IT only allows the credit of the voucher if the particular
item has been scanned through as they already do with loyalty vouchers
etc

The large supermarkets are sufficiently faceless so as to stop
customer/checkout staff ''relationships'' from developing in the same
way as they could where there is continuity of staff

GBur3

Mar 28, 2013, 4:29:37 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Ewill, it is not possible for everyone to secure a job if there are five jobseekers for every vacancy.

GBur3

Mar 28, 2013, 4:35:12 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Affa, I believe something similar happened years ago - with milk tokens or something like that. A black market emerged and was abused by unscrupulous retailers. The govt must be able to prevent this happening again or there is no point in proceeding.

ewill

Mar 28, 2013, 4:46:47 PM3/28/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Anyone can get a job within 6 months if they try

jaria

Mar 28, 2013, 6:16:50 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure you would agree EW that it is going to be more difficult if they are unable to write and add up and don't have the right attitude. This is where those who can't see beyond the end of their noses don't understand the importance of these training schemes which if they do a good job are able to offer a good reference to a prospective employer.

ewill

Mar 28, 2013, 6:50:42 PM3/28/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
yes I'd agree

Do they yet offer NVQs in carwashing or using a broom which can be
completed on the job?

Trueblue

Mar 28, 2013, 7:10:20 PM3/28/13

On Thursday, 28 March 2013 22:50:42 UTC, ewill wrote:
yes I'd agree

Do they yet offer NVQs in carwashing or using a broom which can be
completed on the job?

It was Labour that gave us GCSE moduals for learning how to claim benefits or how to board a bus.

Affa

Mar 28, 2013, 9:19:56 PM3/28/13

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:35:12 PM UTC, GBur3 wrote:

Affa, I believe something similar happened years ago - with milk tokens or something like that. A black market emerged and was abused by unscrupulous retailers. The govt must be able to prevent this happening again or there is no point in proceeding.

Scams and scammers Alex ............ no gov't can outsmart them.

Jonksy

Mar 28, 2013, 10:06:59 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Will it pay a living wage or will it be a crap par time effort which would require 15 of them just to earn enough to survive.?

Jonksy

Mar 28, 2013, 10:10:21 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I bet they can ALL get their heads around the basics of an ipad and the rudiments of Netiquette..

jaria

Mar 28, 2013, 10:57:02 PM3/28/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
You ,the most disgusting poster on the board talk about Netiquette. Lol

GBur3

Mar 29, 2013, 2:30:17 PM3/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Jobs doing what ewill? The economy is fucked. A shopping mall opened the other day only to be swamped with 4000 desperate people looking for work.

What do you expect them to do exactly - start giving blowjobs for 10 quid a go?

jaria

Mar 29, 2013, 2:45:32 PM3/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Is that the going price GBur I'm sure the NUT could get you more!
I know you will blame others probably justifiably like those nurses that were in charge of those unfortunate flower water drinkers but its to the shame of anyone who had anything to do with the low standards of education many of these people were sent out to face the world with. There is even talk of protecting them against the expected invasion of the Romanians etc who's education was also neglected.
You would know I am sure that many of these under educated people had the capacity to do so much better than they did and its those that failed them that should be out of a job

jaria

Mar 29, 2013, 2:51:17 PM3/29/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Didn't the Americans try this method of helping those in need EW ? Any idea if it is still used ?
At the moment we've got a generous multi millionaire who give all the over 70s a co op voucher to the value of £100. I know a couple who exchanged their vouchers for Champagne now that could well be frowned upon but they were in their eighties and must have dreamt of being able to have such a treat.

Trueblue

Mar 30, 2013, 6:41:03 AM3/30/13

On Friday, 29 March 2013 18:30:17 UTC, GBur3 wrote:
Jobs doing what ewill? The economy is fucked.

What else did you expect after a Labour government.?

ewill

Mar 30, 2013, 6:51:51 AM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
<A shopping mall opened the other day only to be swamped with 4000
desperate people looking for work. >>

4000 for how many jobs in how many shops?

Are all the 4000 who attended the hotel based jobs' fair for the mall
''desperate''? How do you know? How many of those 4000 are applicants,
how many are mums,dads,grandmas,grandads ,siblings or friends taken
along for the ride? How many are in jobs looking at other
opportunities? How many are currently jobless?

GBur3

Mar 30, 2013, 8:19:55 AM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Ewill, such numbers of people are unprecedented in modern times. Also, most of the jobs are menial in nature, so unlikely to be people moving on or moving up. Perhaps they are the camoron's part timers i.e. they don't show up on any unemployment or benefits stats because they are technically 'employed' doing 12 hours a week.

ewill

Mar 30, 2013, 8:22:07 AM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
How do you know for a fact that any of your post is factual and not
pure speculation on your part?

jaria

Mar 30, 2013, 8:33:18 AM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
There is also a good possibility GBur that there will be some that have to show they have applied for jobs to be able to continue to claim welfare

Trueblue

Mar 30, 2013, 8:42:53 AM3/30/13

On Saturday, 30 March 2013 12:19:55 UTC, GBur3 wrote:
Ewill, such numbers of people are unprecedented in modern times. Also, most of the jobs are menial in nature,

Give us a period in time when most jobs wearn't menial or unskilled

GBur3

Mar 30, 2013, 9:21:46 AM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Oh i don't know ewill - perhaps just a little thing called 'common sense'?

When 4000 people show up at a shopping mall looking to work rather than shop, you know there's a problem.

GBur3

Mar 30, 2013, 9:21:47 AM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com

GBur3

Mar 30, 2013, 9:24:15 AM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
You're missing the point I was making pete, which is that very few jobs in a shopping mall would represent career advancement. Therefore it is unlikely that people will be applying who are already in full time work.

GBur3

Mar 30, 2013, 9:29:28 AM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
And jaria, if you're that sort of person you can fire off a few CVs via email. The sort of people who pound the streets looking for work aren't going around hoping they remain jobless.

ewill

Mar 30, 2013, 9:37:05 AM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
it was a jobs' fair in a function room at a hotel , the shopping mall
has yet to open - how many of the attendees were looking for a job
rather than family/friends keeping someone company, going along for
the ride, ticking the box for the job centre, employees sent along to
mystery ''shop' and see what the competition is offering or just
seeing what is on offer in case they decide to change jobs?

ewill

Mar 30, 2013, 9:38:40 AM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
you are making some huge assumptions here without any basis in fact

GBur3

Mar 30, 2013, 12:07:20 PM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Ewill. Its a jobs fair. People who attend are generally looking for work.

Tiger

Mar 30, 2013, 7:25:22 PM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
People obviously missed a programe that was on recently called
'Breadline Britain', one area in the North East has 10 unemployed
people to every 1 job vacancy and jobseekers allowance of £53 per week
is pathetic, what kind of arsehole believes that a person can live on
£53 per week even if their rent is paid! On the other hand I know of
one person in particular and I am sure there are thousands like her
who do very well out of this disability fiasco even though like many
others the only thing wrong with her is that she is too fat, it seems
if you invest in a bloody walking stick you need never do a stroke of
work again.

Tiger

Mar 30, 2013, 7:28:02 PM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Rubbish, a young guy they spoke to on Breadline Britain had 'A' levels
and other qualifications, he just happened to live in a area of the
country where there are 10 jobseekers to every 1 job vacancy.

jaria

Mar 30, 2013, 8:14:51 PM3/30/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
You are saying Tiger that those without education stand as good a chance as those with education. Interesting!

Tiger

Mar 30, 2013, 11:01:06 PM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
I am saying that if you happen to live in an area of the country as
portrayed on tv a few evenings ago where their are 10 jobseekers to
every job vacancy, then nobody stands a bloody chance. I am saying to
you stop assuming that everybody who is unemployed is incapable of
writing their own damn name.

Tiger

Mar 30, 2013, 11:03:32 PM3/30/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Oh and before you make an issue of it, I meant to type there not
their.

jaria

Mar 31, 2013, 12:59:14 AM3/31/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I can make an issue of it Tiger because you have completely misinterpreted my post. The fact is that the schools are sending out kids ill prepared to compete and the Education dept is not fulfilling its job. Some of the reasons for this have been discussed on this thread

Tiger

Mar 31, 2013, 4:03:53 AM3/31/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Well the young chap on the tv was not ill prepared qualification wise,
there was just not the job vacancies to apply for and I am sure he is
not the only one in the same position.

ewill

Mar 31, 2013, 5:29:36 AM3/31/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Did he have decent A levels or had he attended an A level course for
the EMA and be social?
> > I can make an issue of it Tiger because you have completely misinterpreted my post. The fact is that the schools are sending out kids ill prepared to compete and the Education dept is not fulfilling its job. Some of the reasons for this have been discussed on this thread- Hide quoted text -

Tiger

Mar 31, 2013, 5:56:25 AM3/31/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
The reporter didn't go into the guy's education details, he just said
that he had A levels and some other qualifications. The poor chap was
on the brink of tears as he saw no hope for the future and was
struggling to get by on £53 per week, he was making a tenner's worth
of gas last him a fortnight, god only knows how. I am not saying
there are not a lot of fraudsters, but anyone who thinks that £53 per
week is enough to live on, should be made to live on it and not just
for a week or two to prove it can be done, but for a period of a year
or so with no other access to money, just to make them realise how it
makes a person feel on a long term basis. I can only imagine that it
would make one feel like suicide is a pleasant alternative.

Affa

Mar 31, 2013, 7:49:00 AM3/31/13

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:56:25 AM UTC+1, Tiger wrote:

  I can only imagine that it
would make one feel like suicide is a pleasant alternative.

 This government is "the enemy of the people".

Tiger

Mar 31, 2013, 8:01:46 AM3/31/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
I agree Affa, the tories always have been, but unfortunately people
have short memories!

jaria

Mar 31, 2013, 8:06:32 AM3/31/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Stop frothing at the mouth AFFA if this gvt is the enemy how on earth would you describe the other lot

Affa

Mar 31, 2013, 8:39:40 AM3/31/13

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:06:32 PM UTC+1, jaria wrote:

Stop frothing at the mouth AFFA if this gvt is the enemy how on earth would you describe the other lot

pacifists!

Trueblue

Mar 31, 2013, 8:43:37 AM3/31/13

On Sunday, 31 March 2013 09:03:53 UTC+1, Tiger wrote:
Well the young chap on the tv was not ill prepared qualification wise,

He should spend an hour or so with Polish immigrants, they have no problem finding jobs,

jaria

Mar 31, 2013, 11:02:26 AM3/31/13
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Lol they don't have a record of being pacifists AFFA. They are very good at spending the countries money but don't seem to know how to govern when they have spent it all

Tiger

Mar 31, 2013, 6:23:26 PM3/31/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
I don't think that nicking wallets/purses in supermarket car parks is
a legal career option you muppet lol

AWM

Mar 31, 2013, 6:55:07 PM3/31/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Very true, apart from the 14,000 claiming job seekers, the 800 odd
currently in prison, and them topping the UK EU immigrant crime
league.

ewill

Apr 1, 2013, 2:40:52 AM4/1/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
<<800 odd
currently in prison>>

Not many out of circa 96000 total prison places
> > finding jobs,- Hide quoted text -

Trueblue

Apr 1, 2013, 7:08:21 AM4/1/13

On Sunday, 31 March 2013 23:55:07 UTC+1, AWM wrote:
Very true, apart from the 14,000 claiming job seekers,

Out of 2 million thats a very very very very low figure.

Tiger

Apr 1, 2013, 9:51:16 AM4/1/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Oh that's ok then, perhaps we can give 14,000 Brits the opportunity to
carry on claiming job seekers without any checks seeing as it's such a
low number!

AWM

Apr 1, 2013, 10:15:35 AM4/1/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Best part of a million quid a week in claims as well.

Tiger

Apr 1, 2013, 10:20:17 AM4/1/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Hi AWM, hope you and yours are ok. Do you think the twonk is Polish,
he seems to be obsessed with what the Poles are doing i.e. Poles live
10 to a room, we can all live 10 to a room lol

AWM

Apr 1, 2013, 10:24:25 AM4/1/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
That's all right then, maybe they can fix the prison plumbing.

AWM

Apr 1, 2013, 10:28:56 AM4/1/13
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
All's fine Tig.He love the Poles, even though they have priced out our
skilled tradesmen x

Affa

Apr 1, 2013, 9:23:17 PM4/1/13

On Monday, April 1, 2013 3:28:56 PM UTC+1, AWM wrote:

All's fine Tig.He love the Poles, even though they have priced out our
skilled tradesmen x

 He claims to be one, a skilled trader that is.