A father paying £40 a week to live in a shipping container to beat sky high rent charges is evicted

Sandman

Aug 31, 2012, 10:55:22 AM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Plenty of schemes all over the place where converted containers are
made into homes, they do a job for single people and are cheap, they
are also easily moved and recyclable.

jar

Aug 31, 2012, 11:02:36 AM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I see our building industry as being very old fashioned and behind the times by continuing to use traditional building methods . Ive seen programmes where a German firm sends the house to its destination on a pan tech lorry and simply constructs the parts together. The whole thing is done in less than half the time and the builders dont have to rely on all those Monday Club labourers etc etc

ewill

Aug 31, 2012, 11:05:09 AM8/31/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
Doesn't look any different to a mobile home

On 31 Aug, 15:55, Sandman <joere...@aol.com> wrote:
> Plenty of schemes all over the place where converted containers are
> made into homes, they do a job for single people and are cheap, they
> are also easily moved and recyclable.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2196304/Father-living-shippin...
> #

Sandman

Aug 31, 2012, 12:12:29 PM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I was looking at that company Jar, Huf Haus is their name, can be
expensive but fantastic designs, look at the link.

Sandman

Aug 31, 2012, 12:15:19 PM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Difference is they can be stacked in a staggered fashion to give
verandas, and they are much stronger than a mobile home.

jar

Aug 31, 2012, 12:27:30 PM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
No doubt about about their ability to be able to provide top of the range Sandman . It was the method and speed of construction that I wished to draw to your attention. When on what they called the crew of the Variety club I wanted to buy a caravan to enable us to send young families to to have a break but my proposal was defeated by a bloke who told everyone how much his caravan cost in maintenance. Still think it was a good idea but he was very wealthy and happened to be the treasurer.

Sandman

Aug 31, 2012, 12:48:55 PM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I was looking at Huf Haus some time ago, the idea was to buy
a nice size piece of land, and have them put a place on it, the
land fell through, but they still Email me for shows and show
houses. One of my local councillors runs his own charity to give
needy families hollidays, the holliday homes are caravans and
chalets, ten in all I think, him and his wife arrange their hollidays
so they can do any work on them, before the season starts, they
also go down to them before a new family takes one, even use
their own vehicle to take families there if they have to. Good
people, my type of people.

Affa

Aug 31, 2012, 7:34:28 PM8/31/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com

I think it's fairly obvious here why the council evict him -  he pays no council tax.

Sandman

Sep 1, 2012, 5:43:52 AM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Not applicable to portable buildings Affa, I think the council are
worried it could start a precedence, if they allow it. How much
council tax would councils in west London get, if they charged
the thousands of immigrants living sheds and garages.

Affa

Sep 1, 2012, 6:17:52 AM9/1/12

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:43:52 AM UTC+1, Sandman wrote:

Not applicable to portable buildings Affa, I think the council are
worried it could start a precedence,

Which is what I was pointing to.
This is about the 'money' once again ......... all this talk of 'planning laws' is
nothing more than spin and BS.
Another example of treating the symptom and going nothing about the cause!
This only arrises because housing costs are too high ..... but they do nothing to
make housing affordable.

Sandman

Sep 1, 2012, 7:50:19 AM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
I think we have to look at and change our views, on our traditional
construction methods for houses Affa, there are plenty of high tech
materials available, that are cheaper and lighter than bricks and mortar,
100yrs ago most house foundations were of spreader corbelled type,
now it's either concrete up to 1,200mm or pile and strip, very labour
intensive, lighter houses on float and strip foundations would be quicker
to build and cheaper, also with much better designs instead of the boxes
we now build.

Affa

Sep 1, 2012, 8:28:01 AM9/1/12

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:50:19 PM UTC+1, Sandman wrote:

......, there are plenty of high tech materials available, that are cheaper and lighter than bricks and mortar,

Once again it's about the money ......... they won't build affordable houses because there's less money (profit) in it
and the existing housing market would take a huge hit. So politically this is too hot to handle - meanwhile folk not
on the ladder must remain grounded, ......... and the housing benefit bill keeps rising.
Landlords and Housing associations are making a mint ...... and at the tax payers expense.

Sandman

Sep 1, 2012, 9:01:25 AM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
All down to what the houses are for Affa, as affordable social housing
and no right to buy, the effect will be minimal, affordable to buy on the
open market can be done a couple of ways, by allowing prospective
buyers to have an input, in labour or skills, like self build, a subsidy on
the land, to be paid back if new owner sells the property, encourage
more self build projects, full tax relief on materials and labour, once
again to be paid back if the owner sells. Lots of ways to do it, that can
reduce the price up to 30%, and not effect the market by too much.

Affa

Sep 1, 2012, 9:07:53 AM9/1/12

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:01:25 PM UTC+1, Sandman wrote:

All down to what the houses are for Affa, as affordable social housing
and no right to buy, the effect will be minimal, affordable to buy on the
open market can be done a couple of ways, by allowing prospective
buyers to have an input, in labour or skills, like self build, a subsidy on
the land, to be paid back if new owner sells the property, encourage
more self build projects, full tax relief on materials and labour, once
again to be paid back if the owner sells. Lots of ways to do it, that can
reduce the price up to 30%, and not effect the market by too much.

 No desire to pour cold water on what you say, but there's still the problem of
 getting the banks to lend on these projects.
I know a few who've done what you say, built their own, but none in recent years.
The Market is rigged against it I think. Aided and abetted by planning refusals of course.

.

jar

Sep 1, 2012, 10:54:38 AM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Well dont forget it took them 10yrs to move that camp and I hear some have moved back in.

jar

Sep 1, 2012, 10:56:35 AM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
that would as I said be the way forward. The technology is certainly there

jar

Sep 1, 2012, 10:57:26 AM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
rather negative attitude AFFA.

Affa

Sep 1, 2012, 1:27:40 PM9/1/12

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:57:26 PM UTC+1, jar wrote:

rather negative attitude AFFA.

lol Jar, it's a realistic attitude ........ Nobody is going to build prefab houses at a fraction of the price of bricks and mortar.
There's not enough money in it, and in any case the politics of a falling houseing sector, wiping untold thousands off property values
would as we all can see cause another toxic debt crisis.
Can't have that can we ..... so the rip-off is allowed to continue.

jar

Sep 1, 2012, 3:49:41 PM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Tory Canyon if you recall took too long to stop let's hope this gvt got in in time to stop ss gb from hitting the rocks. Took them more than 30 months last time they had to do it
Btw see you still mark your own papers

Affa

Sep 1, 2012, 4:01:57 PM9/1/12

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:49:41 PM UTC+1, jar wrote:

Btw see you still mark your own papers

What does that mean?

jar

Sep 1, 2012, 6:07:07 PM9/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
answered that Affa but amongst other things its congratulating oneself for what one posted