Oh look the king of the U-Turn has done it again

Jonksy

Jun 30, 2012, 5:05:52 PM6/30/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com

The speed of this must be a record for even that inept tory twat..

David Cameron 'prepared to consider EU referendum'

David Cameron

Mr Cameron said the government needed 'tactical and strategic patience'

David Cameron is prepared to consider a referendum on the UK's EU relationship, but only when the time is right, he has written in the Sunday Telegraph.

In the article, the prime minister said he wanted a "real choice" for voters but said that an immediate in/out referendum was not what most wanted.

BBC political correspondent Carole Walker said Mr Cameron was "opening the door" to a possible referendum.

Nearly 100 Conservative MPs have called for a poll during the next Parliament.

In a letter to the prime minister, they urged him to make it a legal commitment to hold a vote on the UK's relationship with the EU.

'More to come'

The prime minister acknowledged the need to ensure the UK's position within an evolving European Union had "the full-hearted support of the British people" but said they needed to show "tactical and strategic patience".

It will undoubtedly be hard going, but taking the right path in politics often is”

David Cameron Prime Minister

He disagreed "with those who say we should leave and therefore want the earliest possible in/out referendum" because he did not think it was in the country's best interests.

"An 'in' vote too would have profound disadvantages. All further attempts at changing Britain's relationship with Europe would be met with cries that the British people had already spoken," he added.

He wrote: "There is more to come - further moves, probably further treaties - where we can take forward our interests, safeguard the single market and stay out of a federal Europe.

"Let us start to spell out in more detail the parts of our European engagement we want and those that we want to end. While we need to define with more clarity where we would like to get to, we need to show tactical and strategic patience.

"The eurozone is in crisis which needs to be resolved, and we are in a coalition government during this Parliament.

"Nevertheless I will continue to work for a different, more flexible and less onerous position for Britain within the EU.

"How do we take the British people with us on this difficult and complicated journey? How do we avoid the wrong paths of either meekly accepting the status quo or giving up altogether and preparing to leave? It will undoubtedly be hard going, but taking the right path in politics often is.

"As we get closer to the end point we will need to consider how best to get the full-hearted support of the British people, whether it is in a general election or a referendum.

"As I have said, for me the two words 'Europe' and 'referendum' can go together, particularly if we really are proposing a change in how our country is governed, but let us get the people a real choice first."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18659072

Jonksy

Jun 30, 2012, 6:48:34 PM6/30/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
Oh and here it is FRONT PAGE NEWS in your favourite comic jar

David Cameron paved the way for a historic popular vote on Britain’s role in Europe yesterday by indicating he is ‘opening the door’ to a referendum.

Voters could be asked if they want the UK to stay in or out of the European Union, or to sever many of its existing ties with Brussels.

The Prime Minister is gearing up to resolve the matter once and for all – but not yet. He is considering turning the next Election, due in 2015, into a vote on Britain’s membership of the EU – or holding a referendum afterwards if he is still in No 10.

Mr Cameron believes it is too early to decide the crucial question to be put to voters: whether it be a straight ‘in or out’ choice, or a proposal to grab back some of the powers lost to Brussels bureaucrats.

And he believes it would be a mistake to hold such a vote before the dust settles over the euro crisis.

A source close to the Prime Minister said: ‘It is time to open the door on this matter and consider a referendum. It could either be a standalone referendum or it could be part of the Conservative manifesto at the next Election.’

Explaining why Mr Cameron has not yet decided on the wording of the question to be put to the nation, the source added: ‘Now is the wrong time when Europe is in flux and the whole continent  is changing before our eyes.

‘We need to see where everything ends up before we consult the British people.’

Mr Cameron’s hand has also been forced by the financial  crisis in the eurozone, which is forcing member countries to negotiate ever-closer ties.

The accelerated integration is likely to lead to full-scale treaty  renegotiations in the coming years.

Jane

Jul 1, 2012, 3:21:27 AM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
It's all just talk Jonk.  He's simply trying to calm his 100 dissident MPs but, of course, it will come to nothing.

jar

Jul 1, 2012, 3:36:20 AM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
precisely Jane , something politicians have to bear in mind most of their time.

Jonksy

Jul 1, 2012, 3:38:06 AM7/1/12
to gpn-general-po...@googlegroups.com
But none more so than the caMoron..

Trueblue

Jul 1, 2012, 8:55:29 AM7/1/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)

On Jul 1, 8:36 am, jar <jar...@aol.com> wrote:
> precisely Jane , something politicians have to bear in mind most of their
> time.

Its enshrined in law to have a referendum if the rules are changed,
interesting watching Labour flap on the politics show, Andrew Neil
asked the Grommett babe 10 time what Labours position is on a
referendum, she flapped and avoided the question each time.

Anthonychng

Jul 1, 2012, 12:59:30 PM7/1/12
to GPPS (General Politics People and Society)
You are probably right Jane. I don`t think ANY politician is going
to give us the opportunity to say a decisive NO to the Eu. Even if
we ever do get a referen dum it will be watered down to such an extent
that nobody will bother to vote. Probably something like "do you
want to curtsey to Frau Merkel when visiting Germany.....YES or NO!"