1999CRS8294B ROBERT B. CONROY

no...@senate.gov

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/1999/jul/12/1999CRS8294B
[Congressional Record: July 12, 1999 (Senate)]
[Page S8294]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr12jy99-146]

ROBERT B. CONROY

<bullet> Mr. LIBERMAN. Mr. Presdient, I rise today to pay tribute to
Robert B. Conroy of Westport Connecticut. Captain Conroy is a dedicated
Veteran of World War II, a proud family man, and a fine example of the
powerful American Spirit that weaves it way through the nation's
history.
A member of the 359th Fighter Squardon and the 356th Fighter Group,
Captain Conroy's plane was shot down by German forces over France in
Janaury of 1944. Despite his injuries, Captain Conroy survived as a
prisoner of war in Stalag Luft I for sixteen months until the camp was
liberated by Russian troops.
Captain Conroy's list of medals, including the Purple Heart and the
Distinguished Flying Cross, only begin to tell the story about what
makes him a true American hero. After his military career, Captain
Conroy raised and supported a family while building a successful career
in advertising. The principles of honor, integrity, and devotion to
duty that he displayed during World War II have remained a critical
part of his life and are the same principles he has instilled in his
children. I hope my colleagues will join me in thanking Captain Robert
Conroy for his service, both military and civilian, to this great
nation.<bullet>