2001CRE1270B THE LOW INCOME GASOLINE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM ACT OF 2001

robop...@us.govnews.org

Jul 2, 2001, 10:35:29 AM7/2/01
Archive-Name: gov/us/fed/congress/record/2001/jun/29/2001CRE1270B
[Congressional Record: June 29, 2001 (Extensions)]
[Page E1270-E1271]
From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:cr29jn01-69]

THE LOW INCOME GASOLINE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM ACT OF 2001

______

HON. TOM UDALL

of new mexico

in the house of representatives

Thursday, June 28, 2001

Mr. UDALL of New Mexico. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to address a bill
I have just introduced, the Low Income Gasoline Assistance Program Act
of 2001.
Let me begin my remarks by thanking the original sponsor of this
legislation, Senator John Rockefeller, who in introducing this bill is
attempting to address a very serious problem throughout our country. I
also want to thank the original House cosponsors who have joined in
this effort.
We all know the problem: skyrocketing gasoline prices have taken
their toll on pocketbooks in a severe way. Gas station managers around
New Mexico--and other parts of the country--say drivers are filling up
their tanks and driving off without paying. Some say they have never
seen it so bad, and it has forced them to change how things are done at
the pump. A number of stations are now requiring customers to pay first
because of so much lost revenue.
A common recommendation that we often hear when gas prices go up is
for people to drive less. Walk, bike, or take public transit when you
can. While I agree with that, unfortunately, that only goes so far,
especially if you have no choice but to commute to work, to the doctor,
or to school because public transportation is not available in your
area. This is especially true for those who live in rural areas. These
citizens have no other choice but to pay these prices in order to live
their lives. This legislation attempts to address the problems that
underprivileged citizens face in rural America with regard to the high
cost of gasoline.
Our proposal is relatively simple. The current high price of gasoline
is hurting people throughout the country. And perhaps no group is being
hit harder than seniors and the working poor, especially in rural areas
and places with inadequate public transportation. With experts
predicting regular unleaded gasoline prices in excess of $2.00 a gallon
for much of the country this summer, I believe it is our responsibility
to provide some immediate, short-term assistance for our most needy
citizens.
The Low Income Gasoline Assistance Program Act of 2001 or LIGAP, is
modeled on the successful LIHEAP program that helps seniors and the
disadvantaged pay for heating oil in the winter and air conditioning in
the summer. Under this program, recipients would receive $25 to $75 per
month for three months, as long as gasoline prices stay high where they
live. If the price of gasoline does not fall back below the price at
which the program triggers off, recipients would be allowed to re-apply
for three additional months' benefit.
LIGAP will allow states to make grants to low- and fixed-income
individuals and families to defray the cost of purchasing gasoline for
travel to work, to school, or to regular healthcare appointments when
the price of gasoline reaches or exceeds the unmanageable current
levels. States will make LIGAP grants to income-eligible families who
meet the distance requirements of driving at least 30 miles a day, or
150 miles per week for

[[Page E1271]]

work, school, or medical care appointments. States are also encouraged
to use their welfare reform block grant to provide transportation
stipends to parents who meet the same distance standards.
This measure will enable states to operate the program through their
Community Action agencies or welfare departments. Thus, states will
have the flexibility to set income-eligibility standards similar to the
current eligibility for LIHEAP. The prices at which the program
triggers on and subsequently releases will then be set for each
jurisdiction through consultation between the Secretary of Health and
Human Services and the Secretary of Energy.
LIGAP is not meant to be a substitute for the long-term energy
solutions we all seek for our nation. Each of us understands the
necessity of a comprehensive and balanced approach to energy
development, but we must realize that in every state there are hard-
working people and elderly individuals whose monthly budgets are being
stretched to the breaking point by the cost of gasoline. While we must
approach this country's energy demand with the willingness to make the
tough, long-range choices demanded of us, it is equally important that
we heed the immediate damage being caused by the current high prices.
We must show a willingness to provide some comfort for those Americans
who are most at risk.
Mr. Speaker, we all recognize that people are suffering and that
something must be done to help with the high cost of gasoline. I urge
my colleagues to join us in this proposal that is both forward thinking
and comprehensive.