gOS Gadgets final has been released.

mahjongg

Sep 24, 2008, 9:49:50 AM9/24/08
to gOS Linux
here:
http://www.thinkgos.com/dgadgets.php

it says the download should appear soon, Good OS is probably still
busy uploading it to the servers.

spo00n

Sep 24, 2008, 12:39:35 PM9/24/08
to gOS Linux
Yep.
Why they don't put up the download, then advertise its availability is
beyond me.
"Download Now!"
gOS3 is NOT available for download. They shouldn't say it is.
All it does is annoy folks.

mahjongg

Sep 24, 2008, 1:04:19 PM9/24/08
to gOS Linux
it was "released" (the website was changed to anounce the final
version) just a few hours ago, but I agree that it would have been
nicer when the upload had been available at the zero hour.

Kevin

Sep 24, 2008, 1:54:11 PM9/24/08
to gOS Linux
There was a minor fix that needed to be made in the Ubiquity installer
for OEMs, that we couldn't patch from our repos.

Sorry about the delay.

Kevin

Kevin

Sep 24, 2008, 1:55:07 PM9/24/08
to gOS Linux
BTW, it will be available for download before the end of the day. Stay
Tuned ;-)

Keith

Sep 24, 2008, 2:47:35 PM9/24/08
to gOS Linux
can i update my gos 3.0 beta to final or do i need to redownload
everything?

continuous

Sep 25, 2008, 12:00:44 AM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
Good question....anyone know?

continuous

Sep 25, 2008, 12:59:03 AM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
I tried add the new gOS CD as a repository, updating and then marking
upgrades in Synaptic. This upgraded firefox and xulrunner from online
sources, but nothing from the CD. ~~~~~~

aikidave

Sep 25, 2008, 11:21:27 AM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
When I upgrade to version 3 of gOS, is it going to overwrite
everything on my hard drive? Do I need to copy all my files off before
I upgrade?
Will the version 3 gOS installer automatically remove the older,
incompatible version of Ubuntu?
I have one of the original Everex TC2502 PCs and am still running
Version 1 of gOS.
Thanks,
Dave

mahjongg

Sep 25, 2008, 8:45:56 PM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
It wont "upgrade" an older version, it just can be installed in it's
place, but you can install it as a "dual boot" next to an earlier
installed OS. Then you should be able to copy files over from the
older OS to the newer OS, and finally if you want to get rid of the
older OS, you can boot the live CD, and from it install the
partitioner "gparted", and run it to remove the older OSs partition,
and resize the newer OSs partition with the freed space, bit you have
to knwo what you are doing.

Otherwise its safer and easier to just burn the files you want to
rescue to a CD or DVD, or save them to a USB memory-stick.

phidia

Sep 25, 2008, 9:03:20 PM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
If gOS is ubuntu based (and it is) I don't understand why you can't
upgrade it to the latest release.
Upgrading is available in Ubuntu & debian through apt or upgrade
manager.

mahjongg

Sep 25, 2008, 9:23:28 PM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
Upgrading with Ubuntu repositories can lead to "grave" problems, it
has in the past, so Good OS decided they would only use their own
repositories for upgrades, at least that is what is my understanding
of this situation.

mahjongg

Sep 25, 2008, 10:18:20 PM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
By the way, the new gOS 3 has a working updater, after installation I
immediately got over 100 updates, all together over 100MB of stuff was
updated.

phidia

Sep 25, 2008, 10:47:37 PM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
Looking at the wiki on gos I found this: "Upgrade problem

When Ubuntu released version 8.04 ("Hardy Heron") on April 24, 2008,
it became apparent that gOS (versions before gOS 3.0 Gadgets) could no
longer use the update/upgrade facilities that Ubuntu offered. Any
attempt to upgrade any version of gOS before version 3.0 will either
fail with an "incompatible windows manager" error, or will remove all
kernels from the system, rendering the system bricked. Version 3.0 of
gOS solves the problem, as it is actually based on Ubuntu 8.04. And
steps have been taken by Good OS to ensure the problem will not happen
again. [35]"
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOS_(operating_system)

Using synaptic I was able to install the gnome based update manger and
it appears to work offering me 95 packages to update.
Since I would have to kill this install anyway and I'm multi-booting
several distros anyway I'm going to see how the update manager does-
but I won't let it remove any kernels. Let you know how it goes.

phidia

phidia

Sep 25, 2008, 11:26:23 PM9/25/08
to gOS Linux
Maybe because I was using the last beta release (gadgets) but I
rebooted after doing the update and I still have a working system.
I did have to re0attach the gOS menu and clock but it all seems to
work just as it did.

this is the output of lsb_release -a
"No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy
Message has been deleted

mahjongg

Sep 26, 2008, 10:48:04 AM9/26/08
to gOS Linux
Not "maybe", it clearly says so that gOS 3.0 is not affected, because
it uses the -same- kernel as the current Ubuntu, that -and- because
gOS doesn't use the Ubuntu repository anymore for upgrades, so
upgrades/updates now come from a safe source.

Graham Todd

Sep 26, 2008, 7:14:58 PM9/26/08
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
phidia <jyx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If gOS is ubuntu based (and it is) I don't understand why you can't
> upgrade it to the latest release.
> Upgrading is available in Ubuntu & debian through apt or upgrade
> manager.

[snipped]

I think you have misunderstood how the upgrade works.

gOS is based on Ubuntu, but it has much of its base system different.
An upgrade with apt-get or aptitude works with the packages in the
repositories, and these are different for Ubuntu and gOS. The whole
design of gOS is web-heavy to make it easier for many new users to
Linux, and many applications in Ubuntu to be unnecessary. If you are
successful in upgrading through the Ubuntu repositories, you will get
Ubuntu, not gOS.

Currently, the repositories in gOS will not allow upgrading, but they
have said work is proceeding to enable this to be done. An
incompatibility found in the wubi updater is the stumbling block, I
believe.

As to the Ubuntu family and Debian, the waters become more muddied.
Ubuntu is widely regarded as a fork of Debian. Debian packages are
formed according to particular rules, which are slightly different with
Ubuntu. Most .deb packages are exchangeable between both systems, but
some are not. So, even if gOS can be updated to Ubuntu, it would not
always be compatible with Debian....

--
Graham Todd

trident167

Sep 26, 2008, 9:41:58 PM9/26/08
to gOS Linux
Does the final release address all the wireless networking issues
people are having? It seems to be a very common problem regardless of
the setup we have.

LogiMAX

Sep 27, 2008, 1:05:52 AM9/27/08
to gOS Linux