Is it possible to rotate a VideoView?

Yossie

Jan 16, 2012, 1:09:29 AM1/16/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Specifically referring to Google TV, is it possible to rotate a
VideoView?

Les Vogel

Jan 24, 2012, 2:27:31 AM1/24/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
No

--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV

Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Yossie

Jan 25, 2012, 12:17:19 PM1/25/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Okay. Well there are some videos out there that have a rotation flag
set on them (e.g. videos taken by iOS devices). As far as I know, GTV
doesn't handle the rotation flag so we end up with upside down [or
sideways] videos at times.

From the answer above I suppose there's no workaround we can implement
for this...

If that's the case, can we get the "bug" fixed on GTV's side? I.e. let
MediaPlayer handle the orientation flag in videos?

On Jan 24, 2:27 am, Les Vogel <l...@google.com> wrote:
> No
>
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Yossie <yossie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Specifically referring to Google TV, is it possible to rotate a
> > VideoView?
>
> --
> Les Vogel <https://plus.google.com/u/1/107226127526541403399>
> Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV
> lesv@ <l...@google.com>*G**oogl**e*.com <http://code.google.com/>
>
> Getting Started on Google TV <http://developers.google.com/tv>  Sample
> Code<http://code.google.com/p/googletv-android-samples/>
>   LeftNavBar<http://code.google.com/p/googletv-android-samples/source/browse/>
>   Google TV Video Player <http://code.google.com/p/googletv-video-player/>
> Android <http://d.android.com>
>
> Please send questions to the
> list<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/googletv-android>and only

Les Vogel

Jan 26, 2012, 2:11:32 PM1/26/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Sure - send me a link to Apple's docs on this.
--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV
Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Yossie

Jan 26, 2012, 11:10:10 PM1/26/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Here's the link to the Apple docs:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/QuickTime/QTFF/QTFFChap2/qtff2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000939-CH204-SW1

There is a section in that doc titled "Track Header Atoms" which
contains the "Matrix structure". This contains the data for any
transformations that need to be performed before playback (e.g.
rotations).

You can also take a look at the answer to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7025186/how-to-remove-or-edit-exif-from-mp4-video
which contains a nice illustration of what the "Matrix structure"
looks like and how to apply it.

Les Vogel

Jan 27, 2012, 7:26:34 PM1/27/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
This should really be a request to the Android team.
--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV
Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Yossie

Jan 28, 2012, 8:33:06 PM1/28/12
to Google TV Android Forum
So should I submit it to them, or will you be taking care of it behind
the scenes?

On Jan 27, 7:26 pm, Les Vogel <l...@google.com> wrote:
> This should really be a request to the Android team.
>

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Yossie <yossie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here's the link to the Apple docs:
>
> >http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/QuickTime/QTFF/...
>
> > There is a section in that doc titled "Track Header Atoms" which
> > contains the "Matrix structure". This contains the data for any
> > transformations that need to be performed before playback (e.g.
> > rotations).
>
> > You can also take a look at the answer to
>
> >http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7025186/how-to-remove-or-edit-exif...

Les Vogel

Jan 31, 2012, 6:53:30 PM1/31/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Report it to their Issue tracker.   http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list
--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV
Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Yossie

Jan 31, 2012, 9:25:58 PM1/31/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Okay, but I just thought of two reasons why it might be more
appropriate (and therefore get better reception/priority) over here:

1. Virtually all devices running "plain" Android are portable devices.
If a video is playing upside down, the user can easily look at the
device from another angle. Try telling a user to flip his Google TV...
2. It's technically possible to lock an activity in an orientation
other than landscape (e.g. reverseLandscape, portrait,
reversePortrait). This functionality is disabled on Google TV [an
error is displayed].

Nonetheless, I've filed an issue: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24995

On Jan 31, 6:53 pm, Les Vogel <l...@google.com> wrote:
> Report it to their Issue tracker.http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Les Vogel

Feb 1, 2012, 11:22:43 AM2/1/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Actually, a phone user would be perpetually frustrated.  As the device rotates the image automatically.  The reason I suggested reporting it to Android is that it really is dependent on a fundamental OS feature that doesn't exist on Android.