Using ddms to take a Screenshot v 3.1 user-b61925

Dustin Brand

Dec 12, 2011, 7:57:11 PM12/12/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Hello Google TV team,

I am connecting to the Revue Google TV device via adb connect IPAddress of GTV which is connecting fine and showing up in ddms.

When I go to take a screenshot of one of our GTV app's we get "Screen not available" in the Device Screen Capture window and in the console it prints:
05:51:15 D/ddms: image params: bpp=32, size=7471104, width=1824, height=1024
05:51:40 D/ddms: read: timeout
05:51:40 W/ddms: Unable to get frame buffer: timeout

Connecting an N1 and attempting to take a screenshot of that device works fine.

Running latest Revue update to GTV 2.0 and have tried both r12 and r16 adb tools on multiple Windows 7 machines with the same results.  N1 screenshot completes and on Revue screenshot shows error.

I have also tried a factory reset (Settings, privacy, reset) - which did fix Chrome not showing up after the update, but screenshots still not working.

Please help, we need screenshots to post to market.

Thank you.

Les Vogel

Dec 12, 2011, 8:34:56 PM12/12/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
I have no problem taking screen shots w/ google tv, assuming I'm connected to it.  As long as I'm NOT playing VIDEO at the time.

Steps:

1. adb connect <ip address of box>  (Make sure box know's your IP address)
2. launch eclipse or ddms
3. select the box.
4. grab screen shot.

I don't have a windows box that I can test on, but I've done this w/ both Linux and a Mac.

Les
--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV

Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Dustin Brand

Dec 12, 2011, 9:10:17 PM12/12/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Les,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Same error with or without Live TV in PIP.

Also, as I said earlier, ADB is working as I can connect to, launch/publish apps, and see Logcat output from the GTV device, so it's not that.  adb devices also lists the GTV unit.

If I connect my N1 via USB, it works as well, so it's not the ddms version or the tools version.  Screenshots on the same ddms window work for the N1 or an emulator.

I am also getting these messages from the GTV device:
07:08:26 E/EventLogParser: unknown tag number: 1290501
07:08:26 E/EventLogParser: unknown tag number: 1290704
07:08:26 E/EventLogParser: unknown tag number: 1290703

Hope that helps clarify - if you engineers need any more info, please let me know.  I'd really like to get this resolved soon as it's preventing us from deploying an app.

Thanks.

Les Vogel

Dec 12, 2011, 9:18:52 PM12/12/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
You can send me your apk and let me know how to get the shots you want.  I'll do it in the AM.  Send direct to my address, not the group.

Les

Dustin Brand

Dec 14, 2011, 2:21:22 AM12/14/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
If anyone runs into this issue on 3.1 and this build, the solution is to reboot with your Resolution set to 720p vs 1080p.

There is a bug in the 1080p ddms screenshot function due to the buffer size.  You cannot take a screenshot using ddms @ 1080p but you will be able to @ 720p.

Hope that helps other devs.

Clark

Dec 20, 2011, 11:03:04 PM12/20/11
to Google TV Android Forum
I was just about to pull my hair out trying to figure out why I could
see actions in the log but still not capture the screen. Thanks so
much for the 720p fix!