Taking GTFS data and importing into ArcGIS

IdahoDOT

Mar 1, 2010, 5:28:11 PM3/1/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
We have collected data for a number of fixed route providers in Idaho
and have assembled the necessary GTFS files. We would like to import
a portion of the GTFS data that we've collected to map the placement
of bus routes in ArcGIS - we are only interested in the locations of
bus stops and the interconnecting route on the map - not concerned
about schedule and other info.

There seems to be postings on the site about going from ArcGIS to
GTFS, but not the other way. Any thoughts??

Edward Vielmetti

Mar 2, 2010, 4:44:55 AM3/2/10
to google...@googlegroups.com, john....@itd.idaho.gov
John - there's a tool that goes from GTFS to KML:

http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/KMLWriter

and a KML to shape file tool at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygearth/

which, when combined, at least nominally should do what you want them to do.

thanks

Ed

> --

Edward Vielmetti
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Google Voice: +1 734 330 2465
Web: http://vielmetti.typepad.com

John Krause

Mar 2, 2010, 3:57:16 PM3/2/10
to Edward Vielmetti, google...@googlegroups.com
Ed,

I was able to use the KMLWRITER application to get files to where I could view in Google Earth, but am a little stymied with what to do with the second set of Python files. I am not a GIS aficionado. Can you give me an idea what to do with the KML to Shape File tool??

Thanks!

John

Edward Vielmetti

Mar 2, 2010, 3:59:26 PM3/2/10
to John Krause, google...@googlegroups.com
John - I picked up the pygearth tools from this ESRI forum

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1149&t=238849

You might ask there; I've used the kmlwriter tools but not the others
so I don't have first hand knowledge.

thanks

Ed

T Sobota

Mar 2, 2010, 1:36:37 PM3/2/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Note that the KML output will represent individual trip patterns,
which individually will typically differ from (but in sum are
generalized to) what a transit agency otherwise defines as a route.
If a "route" only has a single manner in which it operates (i.e. a one-
way loop with no deviations) - then that individual trip pattern would
match the "route". But a "route" that has trips that go in two
directions (back and forth), or variants of trips (sometimes serving
one corridor versus another, truncated at either end, etc.) would
return however many trip pattern type lines in the KML output.

Tim Sobota
Metro Transit, City of Madison