Shapes File

Scott

Mar 5, 2010, 12:00:27 PM3/5/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Hello,

I have tried two different methods of creating shape files, and it
doesn't seem to be working.
the first method I used was
Google MyMaps -> GTFS shapes.txt Converter
Want to create a shapes.txt file for your GTFS feed, but don't have a
bunch of fancy software and consultants? Try this!

1. Create a customized Google Map (not a driving directions map)
containing transit routes.
2. For example: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116841934616281285523.000453dab5611bc50c122&z=12
3. Each line will become a shape in the GTFS shapes.txt table. The
name of each line will become the value in the shape_id column.
4. When you're done and the map is saved, click the "Link" button
to the upper-right of the map.
5. Copy that link into the form below, and click "Convert".

Then I had our GIS department create one as well. It still doesn't
look like Google is using the files.
It is still drawing point to point in many instances. It is not
following the roadway.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Scott Allen
City of Santa Rosa
Santa Rosa CityBus

Noam Ben-Haim

Mar 8, 2010, 6:06:22 PM3/8/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Hello Scott

The best place to post this question is in the google transit partner
group. I will answer it here for the benefit of other partners.

While there is indeed a set of shapes in shapes.txt, they are not
linked to any trip, so Google Transit cannot decide which shape goes
to which trip. The way to create this connection is by adding a column
to trips.txt, that specify which shape_id to use for each trip. For
more information check the specification on
http://code.google.com/transit/spec/transit_feed_specification.html#trips_txt___Field_Definitions

Once you build your feed, you should run the open source Feed
Validator tool on it. For your feed this warning appears in the Feed
Validator output: "The shapes with the following shape_ids aren't used
by any trips: 11, 10, 12, 15, 14, 17, 19, 18, 1, 3, 2, 5, 4, 7, 6, 9,
8".

I hope this is helpful

Best
Noam

On Mar 5, 6:00 pm, Scott <srcity...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried two different methods of creating shape files, and it
> doesn't seem to be working.
> the first method I used was
> Google MyMaps -> GTFS shapes.txt Converter
> Want to create a shapes.txt file for your GTFS feed, but don't have a
> bunch of fancy software and consultants? Try this!
>
>    1. Create a customized Google Map (not a driving directions map)
> containing transit routes.

>    2. For example:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1168419346162...

Scott Allen

Mar 11, 2010, 12:44:12 PM3/11/10
to google...@googlegroups.com, noa...@google.com
Thanks, I think that helps.
I went back through and did as you explained.
I have run it through the feed validator and I'm not getting the output about shapes not being used any longer.

I have uploaded the file again.  How long does it take for the new upload to be used?
I tried testing some new trips online and I'm still seeing the point to point drawing on the map instead of it following the shape file.

Thank you for your assistance.

Scott

Mar 11, 2010, 1:01:32 PM3/11/10
to google...@googlegroups.com, noa...@google.com
We expect to have the new upload in use by the end of next week, if the data is valid.

Cheers,
Mihai

Google Switzerland GmbH | Identifikationsnummer: CH-020.4.028.116-1