Should I be able to upload .zip , .gif and .jpg files?

Stefan Lasiewski

Jul 8, 2010, 12:29:40 AM7/8/10
to GoogleCL Discuss
I just stumbled upon this project (Thanks to the thread at
http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/360/google-apps-as-an-online-harddrive/1986#1986
). I couldn't find an answer to this in the manual so I'll check here.

I can upload a wide variety of file types to Google Docs through the
WebUI. But can I do this using GoogleCL? I'm reading mixed reports if
this is allowed by the Google API or not (I believe this was allowed
more recently).

When I try to upload a .zip or .jpg file, I get one of these errors:

$ google docs upload evilbert.zip
No supported filetype found for extension zip
Uploading as text/plain
Upload success! Direct link: http://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=12345&hl=en

$ google docs upload evilbert.jpg
No supported filetype found for extension jpg
Uploading as text/plain
Failed to upload evilbert.jpg
{'status': 400, 'body': 'Could not convert document.', 'reason': 'Bad
Request'}

There is more information at this bug:
http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/issues/detail?id=186&q=%22No%20supported%20filetype%20found%20for%20extension%22

However, I'm not clear if this is a supported feature or not. Should I
be able to upload image and .zip files using GoogleCL, provided they
are less then the file size limit?

Thank you,

-= Stefan

Stefan Lasiewski

Jul 8, 2010, 5:43:11 PM7/8/10
to GoogleCL Discuss
Well, part of the answer depends on if you run Google Apps Premier
Edition or not.

From http://code.google.com/apis/documents/faq.html#WhatKindOfFilesCanIUpload

What kinds of files can I upload to the Documents List API?
Google Apps Premier customers can use the API to upload files of
any type. Other users can use the following upload formats:

(See the link for a list of file types, which includes things
like .pfs, xls, csv, etc.)

Tom Miller

Jul 9, 2010, 10:22:47 AM7/9/10
to GoogleCL Discuss
There's some strangeness here. The older API (v1) which we use has a
list of supported filetypes that are allowed to be uploaded/
downloaded, regardless of the allowances made for Apps Premier users.
That FAQ might be for the new API in labs (v3).

It'll be a while before we expand googlecl to use the v2 and v3
support found in the gdata library, so the short answer is "No, you
can't upload files of any type with googlecl, even if you use Apps
Premier"

I'm guessing that the .jpg fails where the .zip succeeds because Docs
analyzes the actual data transmitted and said "Oh, this is actually a
jpg file even though the content type says text/plain." Apparently
it's not smart enough to say "Oh, this is actually a .zip file even
though the content type says text/plain."

Out of curiosity, what happens when you follow the link that gets spit
out when you upload evilbert.zip?

- Tom

On Jul 8, 5:43 pm, Stefan Lasiewski <ste...@stefanco.com> wrote:
> Well, part of the answer depends on if you run Google Apps Premier
> Edition or not.
>
> Fromhttp://code.google.com/apis/documents/faq.html#WhatKindOfFilesCanIUpload

Stefan Lasiewski

Jul 14, 2010, 3:20:13 PM7/14/10
to GoogleCL Discuss
On Jul 9, 7:22 am, Tom Miller <tom.h.mil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what happens when you follow the link that gets spit
> out when you upload evilbert.zip?

Oh look at that. It's a bunch of garbage. It looks like the .zip file
really *was* uploaded as text/plain, it's not stored as a .zip file.

I made this file public. You can see it at
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1d11PuCf61_izd40BlVgz7VLgHCOP-9QglIt02-U_PJg&hl=en
.

My topic may be related to the bug at
http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/issues/detail?id=186&q=no%20supported
, although that bug is more lower-level.

-= Stefan

Adam Howard

Dec 1, 2011, 11:34:09 AM12/1/11
to googlecl...@googlegroups.com