Google Sets Integration

wirah

May 5, 2005, 9:21:27 AM5/5/05
I think you have something with google sets.

Sometimes when I want to search for something, I'm not entirely sure
i'm searching for the right thing. However - If for instance I am
searching for search engines, I can type "google", "msn search",
"altavista", "yahoo" into google sets and be presented with a huge list
of search engines i'd totally forgotten about. (Not that i'd ever veer
from google!)

So if this was placed at the top of a search results page, with some
suggestions as to what you might be thinking of... "How about searching
for "Hotbot" or "Yahoo!" instead?" you'd provide a very useful resource
to your users.

--
Antony

eth...@gmail.com

May 6, 2005, 1:14:46 PM5/6/05
I like your idea of placing alternative search terms at the top of web
pages. It would be very helpful, but there would have to be some match
priority algorithm...er...something. lol One thing I would suggest is
to set these alternative links apart from the flow of the text on the
page. What I mean is maybe put them in a box labeled "From Google
Sets", "Alternative Searches", or "How about searching for...". Not
just a single line of text that says "How about searching for...",
followed by a couple of links. This would be more prominent and help
more in my opinion.

I don't want the original Google Sets to dissapear though, keep that
form of it.

immorak

May 21, 2005, 3:09:46 PM5/21/05
Good idea.

Dai Conrad

May 25, 2005, 1:48:04 PM5/25/05

wirah wrote:
> Sometimes when I want to search for something, I'm not entirely sure
> i'm searching for the right thing. However - If for instance I am
> searching for search engines, I can type "google", "msn search",
> "altavista", "yahoo" into google sets and be presented with a huge list
> of search engines i'd totally forgotten about.

I just had a similar experience. I wanted to search for the store
Meijer on Google Maps, but could not recall the correct spelling. I
ended up doing a regular Google search on the wrong spelling, and wound
up with a lot of pages about computer game designer Sid Meier.

Then I remembered Google Sets, and entered "Wal-Mart, Target, Sam's
Club" as a set. It immediately brought me back a list of those and
other major stores, including "Meijer" (correctly spelled), and,
interestingly, both "JC Penny" and "JC Penney".

A quick trip back to Google Maps, and I found the nearest Meijer store,
3.9 miles away from my office. Thanks, Google!

-- One Happy Googler