Google abdons compute

1 view

cooldu...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2005, 11:48:49 AM9/17/05
"Thank you for your interest in Google Compute. The latest versions of
the Google Toolbar do not support the Google Compute feature. If you
would like to support the Folding@home project, please download the
official Folding@home client."

Source: http://toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html

Sad to see Google give up on supporting this. :-(

moor...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2005, 4:51:19 PM9/17/05
This makes me quite angry. Sure, the google labs are effectively
trials, but for goodness sake - do google care so little about their
users that they just discontinue a service without bothering to inform
the people that they've got involved?

Even after looking at the link it took me a minute or so to see the
little box that said "not supported" at the bottom. I'd have expected
to see the page withdrawn. Hell, I'd have expected an email saying
sorry, but ...! Not to be left searching newsgroups for weeks trying
to find out what happened along with everyone else.

"Your computer's idle time is too precious to waste" - apparently
google have changed their minds. Apparently to them my computers time
is worth the same as my time - nothing. Well - thanks for "nothing"
Google - you'e gone down a long way in my estimation.

Fine PC

Sep 18, 2005, 6:22:52 PM9/18/05
Try enabling it with this link
http://toolbar.google.com/dc/enable_enthusiasts.html

It worked for me at 5:20 PM 9/18/2005 CST

Martin (Fine PC)

merti...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2005, 3:33:36 PM9/19/05
Thanks, Martin.

bria...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2005, 4:13:36 AM9/24/05
I don't remember any mechanism for tracking users or any announcement
of a mechanism for sending messages to users*.

Under these conditions, you assume that Google has no way of contacting
you, so it is your responsibility to check for updates.

* I don't know whether the Google Toolbar automatically checks for
updates, but I don't think it does, because my Google Compute has been
stuck at 100% for some time now so presumedly they abandoned it a while
ago.

cooldu...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2005, 11:22:22 AM9/26/05
Martin,

I used that link and it still won't work! It added the icon but none of
the files. :-(

thfire...@yahoo.com

Sep 30, 2005, 4:58:16 PM9/30/05
Anyone makes mistakes... it's up to us users to keep Google on-track.
Is there any official petition on which we could insist in coordination
that Google keep its Compute feature intact?

PhoneGuy

Oct 28, 2005, 2:26:56 AM10/28/05
I just found out about this feature and even downloaded the google
toolbar just for this reason....However due to it not even being on the
toolbar I see no reason to keep the toolbar!!!!!! See ya Google!

bria...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2005, 12:35:07 AM10/30/05
If Google does reinstate this "feature", I would like them to separate
it from the toolbar.

limsia...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2005, 10:30:13 PM11/3/05
i was really looking forward to this google compute. so disapoointed.
hasn't seemed to turn on since i got it. if there is a peition, let me
be the first..