RequestFactory module - queue, retry and non atomic batching..

salk31

Jul 17, 2013, 4:04:53 AM7/17/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/salk31/gwt-rf-queue

I've been allowed to open source this and given two hours a week to work on it...

I thought it was worth sharing now that it compiles and there is a working demo. I've grafted it onto the dynatablerf sample and added some controls to fake auth and network failure.

So, any thoughts on if this is worth pushing on with? A real generic need? I've missed an existing solution?

Cheers

Sam

salk31

Jul 18, 2013, 3:26:35 AM7/18/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm. Guess not a lot of demand then. Will hold off doing any more work on this.

Cheers

Sam

Thomas Broyer

Jul 18, 2013, 4:49:47 AM7/18/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I still haven't found the time to look at it…

salk31

Jul 18, 2013, 5:00:28 AM7/18/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Ho k... I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts... If you think it is fixable maybe GAE demo with some UI may be next step for me?

James Horsley

Jul 18, 2013, 6:13:59 AM7/18/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I'm also quite interested but haven't had time to look.

salk31

Jul 18, 2013, 1:42:15 PM7/18/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Doh. Looked to see how long it would take to put it up on GAE and only took ten minutes to actually do it.

So good old DynaTableRf but with gwt-rf-queue but with the Transport replaced and a bit of extra UI.

salk31

Jul 23, 2013, 6:27:58 AM7/23/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I've added a Gmail like UI component and added it to the demo...

GWTter

Jul 23, 2013, 7:30:21 PM7/23/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The mechanism looks pretty good from the demo, nice. I would only say that I'm not sure I would use the same retry message for both network and authentication failures. Do you really want to keep retrying authentications for any other reason than a network failure?

salk31

Jul 24, 2013, 1:54:02 AM7/24/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

We use CAS (single sign on) so what we do is hide the "retry/please wait" message on auth failure and use an iframe to show the CAS login. If they login with that form (or somewhere else) then on a retry the app carries on.

I've very little idea what auth most GWT/RequestFactory people are using...

The demo is at least confusing though. I'll try and make it a bit more realistic.

Cheers

Sam

GWTter

Jul 24, 2013, 6:58:39 AM7/24/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I knew you guys wouldn't be implementing it that way, but the demo sort of gives that impression so the clarification is helpful.

And as far as what most people are using, I'm not sure. However I have seen other discussions about implementing such authentication and retry queues via the default transport, so I think this would have a place. But we'll know for sure once one of the heavy hitters like Mr. Broyer weigh in.

salk31

Jul 24, 2013, 7:01:34 AM7/24/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
After the review I got for a couple of lines from Mr Broyer I'm a bit worried what he will say about code even I think is "rough and ready" ;)  Field declarations are definitely not in lexical order!