Editor Framework Questions

Matthew Hill

Dec 24, 2010, 6:54:51 PM12/24/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

After reading this page, I'm still unclear as to what editors are and what they are for.

  • What are they for?
  • Can you give me some example use-cases?
  • What advantages do they offer over editing without this framework?

Mike

Dec 25, 2010, 4:09:44 AM12/25/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
hi :
i'm new to the Editor too, but  to my understand, Editors are for displaying/editing data directly from server side.

for example you have data in your DB, you retrieved it as Entity in your web server side, by using Editor you can edit and/or display it at client side with ease. seems like a map from data/object to UI. without Editors, you have to parse the data from server side, creating UI to display/edit  the data at client side.

i know the Expense example using editor. i didn't get through it though.

Matthew Hill

Dec 25, 2010, 5:45:43 PM12/25/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi; thanks for your answer!

I'm beginning to understand it better now. A few more questions though...:

  • Is it best used with RequestFactory?
  • What are the pros and cons?

Y2i

Dec 25, 2010, 10:45:49 PM12/25/10
to Google Web Toolkit
There are two driver types
- SimpleBeanEditorDriver to work with simple bean-like objects
- RequestFactoryEditorDriver integrated with RequestFactory and
RequestContext objects

The pros are best described in the goals:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiEditors.html#Goals

The cons are, from my perspective, as with any generic framework: a
generic algorithm theoretically should be a bit slower than if you
hand-code your bindings between UI controls and backing data objects.
However, I haven't seen any performance problems since I started using
RequestFactoryEditorDriver: it works great.

On Dec 25, 2:45 pm, Matthew Hill <matt2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi; thanks for your answer!
>
> I'm beginning to understand it better now. A few more questions though...:
>
>    - Is it best used with RequestFactory?
>    - What are the pros and cons?

Dhruv Shukla

Dec 27, 2010, 10:39:12 AM12/27/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
What are the setting to be done on Server side to make request factory work

Regards
Dhruv
404-551-2578

Thomas Broyer

Dec 27, 2010, 1:58:04 PM12/27/10

On Saturday, December 25, 2010 12:54:51 AM UTC+1, Matthew Hill wrote:
Hi.

After reading this page, I'm still unclear as to what editors are and what they are for.

  • What are they for?

Data binding (using flow synchronization)

  • Can you give me some example use-cases?

See the Expenses and DynaTableRf samples (DynaTableRf might be easier to read and understand)

  • What advantages do they offer over editing without this framework?

It cuts down boilerplate by an order of magnitude!

On Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:45:43 PM UTC+1, Matthew Hill wrote:
Hi; thanks for your answer!

I'm beginning to understand it better now. A few more questions though...:

  • Is it best used with RequestFactory?

Not necessarily. It works equally well with POJOs ("simple beans"). The main differences between RequestFactoryEditorDriver and SimpleBeanEditorDriver are:

  • What are the pros and cons?
Cons? you might have to create your own Editor-s in some cases (or at the very least Renderer-s and Parser-s), and there are a few bugs.

Pros: cuts down a lot of boilerplate / flow-synchronization code, that you then don't have to unit-test yourself.

Matthew Hill

Dec 27, 2010, 9:04:36 PM12/27/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I'm finding the dynatablerf example as confusing as hell.

What if I don't want the editor in a dialog box, but rather as an inline widget on the page? Would PersonEditorWorkflow have to be a widget? If so that doesn't make much sense.