No reply link

Ed Zwart

Jul 23, 2008, 2:01:53 PM7/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I've run into this before on groups that I'm subscribed to, where I
read a post (eg, http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/2f125c7afb0d48d3),
and don't see a reply button. I only see the options "Reply to
author" and "Forward"

What's the deal?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to ask a question in the context
of that thread. I could do that with a new thread and refer to it
(like I'm doing here), but what's the point of requiring that?
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of threaded content?

What am I missing? Thanks

e.

Sumit Chandel

Jul 28, 2008, 7:17:44 PM7/28/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,

It's possible that you weren't signed in when you revisited the thread. Can you double-check and confirm whether you're still not seeing a reply link while signed into your Google account?

Thanks,
-Sumit Chandel

Ian Bambury

Jul 28, 2008, 8:00:09 PM7/28/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Google doesn't allow you to reply to messages which are over two months old if you are using the web interface (about 2 months anyway, it might be 60 days or something else close).

If you are replying to an email, then they let you reply to anything, any time. At least, that's my experience.

Ian

2008/7/29 Sumit Chandel <sumitc...@google.com>

_______________________________________

Stuff the environment - Print this email
_______________________________________

Sumit Chandel

Jul 29, 2008, 12:53:40 AM7/29/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

Unfortunately, Ian speaks the truth in that there is a Groups bug / feature (depending on how you look at it) that disables replies to old threads (2 months old sounds right).

If you're subscribed to the discussion group via email, you might be able to get around this issue by posting back to a thread via email. Otherwise, feel free to create a new thread and reference the old one therein.

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Ed Zwart

Jul 29, 2008, 12:14:17 PM7/29/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks, that's exactly what it was. I was able to post to the group
like so (for anyone with the same problem...)

From the original group posting, I used the "Forward" link at the
bottom of any of the messages in the thread, and forwarded to my own
email.

I then forwarded that message from my inbox to Google-Web-
Too...@googlegroups.com. I edited the subject to be "Re:" instead of
"Fwd:", and stripped all the quoted text.

I did it this way to get the Message-ID email header field in my post
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com. There might be a better way
to do this, but it worked for me! :)

e.