rest / json command pattern implementation project

Raphael André Bauer

Dec 21, 2010, 5:27:29 AM12/21/10
to google-web-toolkit
Hi,

in many projects large scale GWT apps the command pattern comes in handy.
It provides a central point for chaching, batching, retrying of flaky
connections - and also functionality for undo operations.

Great :)

But what about Command pattern for REST interfaces (possibly using
JSON)? There are some excellent options such as resy-gwt. But as
client side developer I am still used to my plain old command pattern.

I am not sure if anybody is interested, but I released an alpha
version of my rest (json) command pattern at google code. It is fully
functional, completed with testcases and can be built out of the box
using maven.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Cheers,

Raphael

Raphael André Bauer

Dec 21, 2010, 5:58:52 AM12/21/10
to google-web-toolkit
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Raphael André Bauer
<raphael.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if anybody is interested, but I released an alpha
> version of my rest (json) command pattern at google code. It is fully
> functional, completed with testcases and can be built out of the box
> using maven.

A tiny detail was missing... The url... :
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-json-commandpattern/

Again - any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Raphael

> Thanks,
>

> Cheers,
>

> Raphael

Gal Dolber

Dec 21, 2010, 6:30:23 AM12/21/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Looks nice! I'll check it out

> Thanks,
>

> Cheers,
>

> Raphael

Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and *production ready* gwt applications.

http://code.google.com/p/guit/

zixzigma

Dec 22, 2010, 1:16:17 AM12/22/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Thank you Raphael,
What a great project.

can you please explain some of your stragies
for implementing "caching" and "batching" ?

some tips/high level overview of how you are going to design them ?

Thank You

Raphael André Bauer

Dec 28, 2010, 7:38:37 AM12/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Currently, the dispatcher is only designed to be the one and only
entry point to implement stuff. In my projects, we have different
strategies. Eg. collecting many requests, then waiting some time
(Javascript/GWT timer), then assembling one request that can be
understood by the server and sending it.

It really depends on what you can do on the server side.The same
applies for caching. You can do it via a hashmap and equals
comparisons, but you can also you LocalStorage or other fancy HTML5
stuff.

The idea is, that you can do it easily and have a central point where
to add and experiment with stuff (supported by meaningful
GWTTestCases). Not how you actually do it. But - hey! If you have any
suggestions how to add stuff let me know :) And I guess it's not my
invention at all - it's simply command pattern :)

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

Raphael