new free book chapter available: RESTful services

marius.andreiana

Dec 28, 2010, 2:59:52 AM12/28/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

Part of GWT/GAE book, I've just added a chapter on RESTful services:
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-gae-book/wiki/ManagingLocations

Looking forward to group feedback and better ways to consume REST
services from GWT.

Happy New Year :)
Marius

Thomas Broyer

Dec 28, 2010, 7:14:35 AM12/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
This is not ReST, ReST is about hypertext (HATEOAS). Using a URL per resource is not enough to make a service "RESTful": http://www.crummy.com/writing/speaking/2008-QCon/act3.html (only level 3 can actually be called "RESTful")
This also means your client code cannot have an RPC-like interface and pretend to be "RESTful" (or "consume a RESTful service").

This is not a judgement on what you wrote though, just how to call it (or not)

marius.andreiana

Dec 28, 2010, 8:36:25 AM12/28/10
to Google Web Toolkit
On Dec 28, 2:14 pm, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not ReST, ReST is about hypertext (HATEOAS). Using a URL per
> resource is not enough to make a service "RESTful":http://www.crummy.com/writing/speaking/2008-QCon/act3.html(only level 3 can
> actually be called "RESTful")
Thanks Thomas for pointing this out. I've added a note about this in
Additional resources. My sample is at level two, missing hyperlinks.

> This also means your client code cannot have an RPC-like interface and
> pretend to be "RESTful" (or "consume a RESTful service").
Besides that it should use the URI's received from the server via
hyperlinks, is there anything else to improve?