Suggestions for transferring a GWT project to javascript?

rjcarr

Dec 16, 2013, 7:36:12 PM12/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I have a pretty large project that's over 7 years old that has used GWT from the very early days and is nearly 100% GWT (i.e., there's very little manually written javascript).  However, we'd like to transition the client to be written in javascript, but if possible, we'd like to retain the GWT services (i.e., the serialization).

Basically, we'd like to keep all of the RemoteService, RemoteServiceAsync, and RemoteServiceServlet (and the accompanying object serialization) but write the client / visualization portions manually in javascript.

Is there any way to divorce the data serialization from the visualization without the messiness of JSNI?

Note that we don't have any problem with GWT, it's actually been great in most every way, but at this point we have many more javascript developers that are uncomfortable with java and it's hard to get the level of contribution we need to the project in its current state.

Thanks!

Jens

Dec 16, 2013, 8:48:40 PM12/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
gwt-exporter might help you to export an API that your JS developers can use. For example you could export the model and services to JS.

-- J.

Ümit Seren

Dec 17, 2013, 8:17:08 AM12/17/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Alterantively you could check out DWT (http://dartwebtoolkit.com/) which tries to mimic the GWT features in Dart.
But I guess this would be more involved than using gwt-exporter.

In case you  missed the recent GWT.create conference. There are plans for GWT 3.0 to make the interoparability between JS and GWT much much easier and with web-components you can write JS code and then easily use it in GWT.

Robert J. Carr

Dec 17, 2013, 12:34:42 PM12/17/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the gwt-exporter suggestion (it was already on my radar) and thanks for the alternative dart web toolkit.  I didn't catch the conference but that is very interesting about GWT 3.0.  Do you have any white papers on that specific topic?

Ümit Seren

Dec 17, 2013, 12:57:30 PM12/17/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
There is a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMD1GXR2Tg and there should be somewhere a spec (have to look for the link)