GWT 1.7 shell ActiveX/applet problem

snorbi

Aug 18, 2009, 7:30:20 AM8/18/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello!

Our web application must embed an existing applet, which is a very
important part of the whole application.

First I tried to use a simple <applet> tag but it didn't work.
Then I found that the <object> tag should work better in IE (see
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html#object).

What I tried is very simple: I grabbed the NervousText applet example
from the JDK, and embedded it into the GWT application using:

<object classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
type="application/x-java-applet" height="400" width="200"
border="0px">
<param name="code" value="NervousText.class" />
</object>

Web mode works great in IE7, but hosted mode fails with the message:

One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because
either:
1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX
controls on this page, or
2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls
As a result, the page may not display correctly.

I tried to set security to a minimum level (using Tools/Internet
options/Security) but it doesn't have any effect.

Do you have any idea why doesn't it work?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Best regards:
Norbi

Environment: Windows XP, IE7/IE8, GWT 1.7, JDK 6; the problem is only
in hosted mode