appengine connected android project wizard example

RS

Aug 4, 2011, 6:48:35 PM8/4/11
to Google Web Toolkit
GWT plugin for eclipse's appengine connected android project wizard's
output example used to work, doesn't work for a fresh project any
more.

Well things do get generated and compile but C2DM registration fails
in the android device/emulator irrespective of live or local server.

Have spent good time with different machines and fresh eclipse
installations.

Any workarounds? Any suggestions to go back to the old state where it
used to work?

Regards.
RS

Marcus Franzen

Aug 7, 2011, 3:06:43 AM8/7/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I have got the same problem, did you get it working?

On 5 Aug., 00:48, RS <rajeshs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> GWT plugin for eclipse'sappengineconnectedandroidprojectwizard's
> output example used to work, doesn't work for a freshprojectany
> more.
>
> Well things do get generated and compile but C2DM registration fails
> in theandroiddevice/emulator irrespective of live or local server.

RS

Aug 7, 2011, 10:19:04 AM8/7/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Just many more fresh installs and fresh trials.
Re-re-re requested C2DM for the same id and same/different package.
(apparently package name filled in that form doesn't really matter)

Got reply of acceptance. Waited few more days.

No change.
Registration from android device invariably fails.

Waiting for official reply (that C2DM server has been set right) or
GAE plugin update.

Also tried with an independently written code.

RS

Aug 8, 2011, 7:11:36 AM8/8/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Could somebody from C2DM team throw some light?
Does C2DM assume that everybody uses the new android market client app
(vending.apk)?

The new market (which has movies etc) is so far available within the
US only.
If this is the reason, could they make sure that c2dm and the
'appengine connected android app' skeletal example work with the
earlier version of market too?

RS

Aug 10, 2011, 7:42:34 AM8/10/11
to Google Web Toolkit
in the example problem isn't at c2dm but while registering with the
appengine
(C2DMReceiver.java gets success but DeviceRegistrar.java fails to pass
the info)

On Aug 8, 12:11 pm, RS <rajeshs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could somebody fromC2DMteam throw some light?
> DoesC2DMassume that everybody uses the new android market client app
> (vending.apk)?
>
> The new market (which has movies etc) is so far available within the
> US only.
> If this is the reason, could they make sure thatc2dmand the
> 'appengine connected android app' skeletal example work with the
> earlier version of market too?
>
> On Aug 7, 3:19 pm, RS <rajeshs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Just many more fresh installs and fresh trials.
> > Re-re-re requestedC2DMfor the same id and same/different package.
> > (apparently package name filled in that form doesn't really matter)
>
> > Got reply of acceptance. Waited few more days.
>
> > No change.
> > Registration from android device invariably fails.
>
> > Waiting for official reply (thatC2DMserver has been set right) or
> > GAE plugin update.
>
> > Also tried with an independently written code.
>
> > On Aug 7, 8:06 am, Marcus Franzen <franzen.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have got the same problem, did you get it working?

RS

Aug 12, 2011, 9:34:54 AM8/12/11
to Google Web Toolkit
At last.

The version of beta eclipse plugin available now (late july - early
aug 2011) hasn't worked independently.

Workaround is to install 2.3 plugin and then install 2.4 beta plugin
on eclipse indigo (3.7) not helios.
After installing 2.4beta on top on 2.3, it would have auto updated
what it needs to. Avoid the temptation to point to the beta plugin in
eclipse preferences. Also don't uninstall 2.3 plugin.

With this workaround, the appengine connected android code generated
by the wizard works out of the box.

Steve

Aug 25, 2011, 11:02:47 PM8/25/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm still having the same problem.

RS, forgive my noob'ishness, could you give a little more detail as to
what you did to get it working?

- I had a fresh install of Eclipse Indigo, and installed the GPE
v2.4.0.rc1_r37v201107221751 (from the beta site). Creating a new "App
Engine Connected Android Project" results in the same problem with the
Android app not registering with the C2DM service (I have registered
on the C2DM site).

- I then uninstalled GPE 2.4.0.rc1 and installed 2.3 from the stable
site. I then tried to install GPE 2.4.0rc1 again, but it doesn't
install side-by-side with 2.3, but rather updates it.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Steve

RS

Sep 21, 2011, 5:29:33 AM9/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
sorry for the very late reply. Won't know if things have changed.
Looks like now it is intelligent enough to update over beta from non-
beta.

Fresh Indigo > install 2.3 > install 2.4 beta

So this workaround doesn't seem to work. Wonder how others are getting
around now.
> > > in the example problem isn't atc2dmbut while registering with the

RS

Sep 21, 2011, 7:13:17 AM9/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
New plugin version seems to work on eclipse indigo now.
No need of beta any more, I suppose.

On Aug 26, 4:02 am, Steve <stephen.lar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still having the same problem.
>
> RS, forgive my noob'ishness, could you give a little more detail as to
> what you did to get it working?
>
> - I had a fresh install of Eclipse Indigo, and installed the GPE
> v2.4.0.rc1_r37v201107221751 (from the beta site). Creating a new "App
> Engine Connected Android Project" results in the same problem with the
> Android app not registering with theC2DMservice (I have registered
> on theC2DMsite).
>
> - I then uninstalled GPE 2.4.0.rc1 and installed 2.3 from the stable
> site. I then tried to install GPE 2.4.0rc1 again, but it doesn't
> install side-by-side with 2.3, but rather updates it.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> On Aug 12, 11:34 pm, RS <rajeshs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > At last.
>
> > The version of beta eclipse plugin available now (late july - early
> > aug 2011) hasn't worked independently.
>
> > Workaround is to install 2.3 plugin and then install 2.4 beta plugin
> > on eclipse indigo (3.7) not helios.
> > After installing 2.4beta on top on 2.3, it would have auto updated
> > what it needs to. Avoid the temptation to point to the beta plugin in
> > eclipse preferences. Also don't uninstall 2.3 plugin.
>
> > With this workaround, the appengine connected android code generated
> > by the wizard works out of the box.
>
> > On Aug 10, 12:42 pm, RS <rajeshs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > in the example problem isn't atc2dmbut while registering with the

RS

Sep 21, 2011, 7:14:39 AM9/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Confirm that the new version of the plugin works now. It includes
android C2DM integration.
Avoid the beta version.