GWT IE Bug affecting RichTextArea, TextBox, etc.

Brett S.

May 17, 2010, 10:14:16 PM5/17/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello,

I am at a loss that I can only reproduce with IE8 (both XP and Win7).
I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

I have a GWT 2.0 application that has several DialogBoxes containing
text boxes, buttons, etc. Everything works fine in Firefox, Chrome,
etc.

In one DialogBox, I have a TabPanel with three Tabpanels. One of the
tabs has a RichTextArea. The first time I edit text in the TextAreas,
everything is fine. The second or third time, the text area locks
up. The TextArea takes no focus and does not allow editing. Buttons
still work. I can close my DialogBox and open a completely unrelated
DialogBox with a simple TextBox. This TextBox suddenly does not work
either. Once the application goes into the "no focus, no edit" state
for Text Entry Widgets, there is no return. No Text Controls work.
Buttons, Menus, popup windows work fine though.

In Dev and Production mode, no errors or exceptions are being
thrown.

I read in some older postings (2008) that TabPanels have trouble
containing TextAreas. So, I removed the TextAreas from the TabPanel.
The problem was not fixed by not having TextAreas in Tab Panels.

My hope is that someone out there has experienced this problem. Please
let me know if any workarounds exist.

Thank you!

Brett

Brett Shelley

May 18, 2010, 8:16:54 PM5/18/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Problem:  The problem is a result of a RichTextArea being embedded in a TabPanel.

To Reproduce:  In IE8, add a RichTextArea to a TabPanel.  Navigate to the Tab containing  a RichTextArea.  Leave the Tab without "Focusing" on the RichTextArea. The entire app enters a state where TextBoxes, TextAreas, and RichTextAreas cannot get focus.

Solution:  Set Focus on the RichTextArea when the TabPanel is opened.  If the RichTextArea is in the first tab, then a Timer that sets Focus after some short delay will generate the focus event.  Focusing on the RichTextArea enables the application to remain in a working state.

Thanks,

Brett