GWT 2.0 Eclipse Breakpoint Not Working

Nick

Dec 9, 2009, 6:41:57 PM12/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I just updated my Eclipse plugin from GWT 1.7 to GWT 2.0. I got my
application to run in a separate browser, however, it does not ask me
to install a plugin, nor does it stop on breakpoints.

Can anyone help me convert my 1.7 Eclipse GWT/App Engine project to
GWT 2.0?

What I've done:
-Updated my Eclipse Plugin
-Changed my GWT version to 2.0
-Changed my App Engine version to 1.2.8
-Deleted by current launch configurations
-I launch by Right Click-->Debug As-->Web Application (the one with
the 'G' on it).
-I copy the URL give in the Development Mode tab in Eclipse and paste
that into Chrome (I've tried FF and IE 7 as well).
-My App appears and seems to work properly, but no question to install
a plugin nor does it pay attention to breakpoints.

If I can avoid creating a new project and copying it into that, I'd
prefer it.

I appreciate any help.

-Nick

Craigo

Dec 9, 2009, 10:06:44 PM12/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I had this problem too. It only asked for the Firefox plugin after I
deleted my projects compiled javascript under the war directory.

Also, after the FireFox plugin did get installed, I then restarted
everything, and Firefox froze and asked me if I wanted to terminate
the current script. I said yes, and breakpoints worked, but code
updating didn't. Restarted again, and said "continue" when Firefox
asked if I wanted to terminate the script. Everything is working
great now! :-)

piyush sharma

Dec 10, 2009, 12:24:38 AM12/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

gaspo

Dec 9, 2009, 7:28:47 PM12/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I had to also delete project's javascript code in war folder. After
that I got the browser to display the page offering to download the
plugin.

Nick

Dec 10, 2009, 10:28:19 AM12/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
That wasn't successful for me. I ended up just renaming my existing
project and re-checked out the entire project from my SVN repository.
Luckily I check in my entire Eclipse project, so it was fairly easy.
Everything now works as expected.

Paul Robinson

Dec 10, 2009, 10:29:45 AM12/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Failing to stop at breakpoints was a bug in one of the JVM releases
(1.6.0_14 IIRC). Make sure you're using the latest JVM.

Nick Powers

Dec 10, 2009, 10:36:20 AM12/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I ran across that fun problem a while back, and fixed it. This, however, was due to upgrading to GWT 2.0 and the switch between hosted mode and dev mode.
-Nick

Rajeev Dayal

Dec 10, 2009, 11:38:32 AM12/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Glad you got it working. Usually, this problem stems from two areas:

1) Not deleting the generated files in your war directory when you switch SDKs. This is really something that we need  to fix in the Google Plugin for Eclipse or GWT itself, as developers should not be expected to do this when they switch SDKs.

2) The browser storing a cached version of hosted.html. This may also be a GWT bug in terms of how we have the caching rules set up for the built-in servlet that we provide. Holding down SHIFT and hitting RELOAD will cause all pages to be re-fetched, regardless of whether or not they've been cached.

Ana

Jan 18, 2010, 5:22:43 AM1/18/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello,

In our project I have specified a different output directory for the
javascript to be compatible with our previous project structure.

Everything works fine except debug mode because breakpoint are not
hit.

I have tried the suggestions above and nothing worked. Do you think
this is related to not have js output in war directory but in a
different place?