Cannot install Eclipse GWT (and other Google)-plug-ins

Clundahl

Dec 30, 2011, 8:19:01 AM12/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi

I run a VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 7, inside this I run a Ubuntu
10.11 (32-bit).

The first thing i did when installation completed i ran

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

And installed this (I have also tried with openjdk-7-jdk).

Then i installed eclipse (turned out to be the Indigo release) and
installed also the eclipse-jdts (nothing happened since this module
was already present and up to date).

Then i tried installing GWT-plugin from http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.7
(and also from .../3.6). I tried installing with a multitude of
combinations of Google-plug-ins included at the same time. For
instance "Google plugin for eclipse 3.7" and "Google web toolkit SDK
2.4.0" together.

This gave the following repsonse:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could
not be found.
Software being installed: Google Plugin for Eclipse 3.7
2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-r37
(com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e37.feature.feature.group
2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-r37)
Missing requirement: Google App Engine Plugin 2.5.0.v201112160242-
rel-r37 (com.google.appengine.eclipse.core 2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-
r37) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.wst.sse.core 0.0.0' but it could not
be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Google Plugin for Eclipse 3.7 2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-r37
(com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e37.feature.feature.group
2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-r37)
To: com.google.appengine.eclipse.core [2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-
r37]

I then tried to install everything from disc - downloading evertything
from a manualy downloaded zip-file. This gave the same error.

Do you kind and cunning people have any suggestions?

//Chlundahl

Thad

Dec 30, 2011, 9:22:02 AM12/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Nope. I'm having the same problem trying to set up a Windows machine.
(My Linux box, set up months ago, works fine.)

> And installed this (I have also tried with openjdk-7-jdk).
>
> Then i installed eclipse (turned out to be the Indigo release) and
> installed also the eclipse-jdts (nothing happened since this module
> was already present and up to date).
>
> Then i tried installing GWT-plugin fromhttp://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.7

Ian Bambury

Dec 30, 2011, 8:30:39 AM12/30/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Eventually I got it working by installing the 'Indigo Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers' version. All of the other versions I tried gave me the problem you have, and none of the 'solutions' I found on the web worked (e.g. install something before something else, uninstall something and reinstall)

Let us know if it works for you.

Ian

Clundahl

Dec 30, 2011, 10:34:44 AM12/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi everybody and thank you for your input and help

I think i cracked it just now. I started eclipse with root (or 'sudo
eclipse' anyway). And then it worked!

Thad - could it be as simple for you? That you just have to start
eclipse with the admin authority?

Happy new year to you all

//Chlundahl

On 30 Dec, 14:30, Ian Bambury <ianbamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eventually I got it working by installing the 'Indigo Eclipse IDE for Java
> EE Developers' version. All of the other versions I tried gave me the
> problem you have, and none of the 'solutions' I found on the web worked
> (e.g. install something before something else, uninstall something and
> reinstall)
>
> Let us know if it works for you.
>
> Ian

Thad

Dec 30, 2011, 8:58:37 PM12/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Nope, that didn't work either. Nor did trying to install the zip file
downloaded from http://code.google.com/eclipse/docs/install-from-zip.html
and running Eclipse as administrator. Gawd, I hate Windows.

Alan

Dec 31, 2011, 12:00:38 AM12/31/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

install oracle jdk, no open jdk

Thad

Dec 31, 2011, 9:27:28 AM12/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I have Oracle's JDK 1.6.0_29 installed on Windows 7. I've installed
Eclipse 3.7.

The ONLY portion from the link below that installs is GWT Designer for
GPE. For ALL other components I'm told they can't be found. For
example:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could
not be found.
Software being installed: Google Plugin for Eclipse 3.7
2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-r37
(com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e37.feature.feature.group
2.5.0.v201112160242-rel-r37)

(In a related note, it's stuff like this that dissuades me from using
Maven. I've never ran a Maven build of any size for which all the
required components could be found.)

On Dec 30, 9:00 pm, Alan <alan.q.y...@gmail.com> wrote:
> install oracle jdk, no open jdk

> http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.7

Ian Bambury

Dec 31, 2011, 9:33:05 AM12/31/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
What version of Eclipse are you using? As I said, the only one that would work for me was the Java EE.

Thad

Dec 31, 2011, 10:17:08 AM12/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
"Eclipse IDE for Java Developers", which is all I've ever used on
Linux. I've tried both 3.6 and 3.7. I've been trying with the 64-bit
version which matches my JDK.

I've removed all Eclipse folders and downloads from this Windows box
and will try again (at least I hope I've gotten them all, even
the .eclipse folder in my home folder). I'll try the EE version this
time.

I'm wondering if this problem with GWT is what's causing my other
current Windows difficulty:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/b708fcc6232a06df

I'm very close to blowing away Windows 7 on this laptop and going with
Linux. But given all the unique problems caused by IE, I want to have
a Window test machine for that as well even if the OS is horribly slow
and obtuse.

On Dec 31, 6:33 am, Ian Bambury <ianbamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What version of Eclipse are you using? As I said, the only one that would
> work for me was the Java EE.

Thad

Dec 31, 2011, 11:44:53 AM12/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
AT LAST!

And getting the GWT stuff installed in Eclipse seems to have fixed the
problem I linked to in my last message. However this was not without
some pain: Eclipse insisted that "there are no GWT SDKs in your build
path" and that two references to GWT.getModuleName() in a .ui.xml file
were invalid because the method did not exist (absolutely untrue). I
deleted these errors and finally got my current app to run in devmode.