GWT RPC calls from java

ussuri

May 28, 2010, 11:06:21 AM5/28/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello! I know that the question has been asked several times, but the
last discussion I was able to find dates back to 2009, so I'll ask the
question again:

Can I _easily_ call GWT-RPC server side from a pure java client
application? If not, is the ability on the roadmap? What are the best
alternatives?

Basically, what I need to do:

1. a GWT-based client
2. a GAE-based server (java flavor)
3. a Java desktop client (Swing)

As everything is developed in Java, we are going to re-use a lot of
code; ideally we would prefer to have only the GUI part to be
different b/w our GWT and our Swing clients. However, we can't find a
way to call into GAE from GWT and stand-alone java other than low-
level HTML calls.

Thanks,
MG

Sripathi Krishnan

May 28, 2010, 11:37:19 AM5/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
See http://www.gdevelop.com/w/blog/2010/01/10/testing-gwt-rpc-services/. That's the best solution that's out there at the moment.

--Sri

Sripathi Krishnan

May 28, 2010, 11:40:49 AM5/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Having said that, I wouldn't build a production app that relies on the library.

If you really want to develop your services for multiple clients, I'd recommend staying away from GWT RPC. JSON is well suited for the browser, while XML is better suited for a Swing application. If you build your services to support both with the same codebase, you can reuse your services from a wide range of clients (Mobile apps / Swing / GWT etc)

--Sri

mikeds...@gmail.com

May 28, 2010, 12:10:00 PM5/28/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Another, more recommended method is to isolate the business process
away from the GWT RPC. So you have a stand alone "middle-tier" that
you communicate with via GWT-RPC and Swing Clients and whatever else
you want to do. Don't try to reuse GWT-RPC....go around it. It's a
better design...

On May 28, 9:40 am, Sripathi Krishnan <sripathi.krish...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Having said that, I wouldn't build a production app that relies on the
> library.
>
> If you really want to develop your services for multiple clients, I'd
> recommend staying away from GWT RPC. JSON is well suited for the browser,
> while XML is better suited for a Swing application. If you build your
> services to support both with the same codebase, you can reuse your services
> from a wide range of clients (Mobile apps / Swing / GWT etc)
>
> --Sri
>
> On 28 May 2010 21:07, Sripathi Krishnan <sripathi.krish...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Seehttp://www.gdevelop.com/w/blog/2010/01/10/testing-gwt-rpc-services/.
> > That's the best solution that's out there at the moment.
>
> > --Sri
>
> > On 28 May 2010 20:36, ussuri <michael.glas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hello! I know that the question has been asked several times, but the
> >> last discussion I was able to find dates back to 2009, so I'll ask the
> >> question again:
>
> >> Can I _easily_ call GWT-RPC server side from a pure java client
> >> application? If not, is the ability on the roadmap? What are the best
> >> alternatives?
>
> >> Basically, what I need to do:
>
> >> 1. a GWT-based client
> >> 2. a GAE-based server (java flavor)
> >> 3. a Java desktop client (Swing)
>
> >> As everything is developed in Java, we are going to re-use a lot of
> >> code; ideally we would prefer to have only the GUI part to be
> >> different b/w our GWT and our Swing clients. However, we can't find a
> >> way to call into GAE from GWT and stand-alone java other than low-
> >> level HTML calls.
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> MG

ussuri

May 28, 2010, 12:22:25 PM5/28/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks Sri, Mike! Yes, it seems that a more transparent & light-weight
protocol would be better in the long term.

MG

On May 28, 12:10 pm, "mikedshaf...@gmail.com" <mikedshaf...@gmail.com>

Stefan Bachert

May 29, 2010, 11:18:57 AM5/29/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

I agree with you not to use GWT-RPC for anything else then the gui-
client.

It is very likely that an other access source have special demands
which collides with GWT-RPC.
(Maybe a different kind of authentication)

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de