Google Web Toolkit 2.0 RC2 Now Available

John LaBanca

Nov 25, 2009, 3:52:13 PM11/25/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We're getting close! GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 and Google Plugin for Eclipse 1.2 RC2 are now available for you to try.

Download the GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=gwt-2.0.0-rc2

The full documentation is still a work in progress, but you can find instructions for using the updated SDK and Eclipse plugin here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/GWT_2_0_RC

We've resolved several issues since RC1 and we feel pretty darn good about it, but as always, we caution you against using RC2 in production.

Windows users who have previously installed the Google Web Toolkit Developer Plugin for IE will have to uninstall the old version and install the new version. This action is required because the file locations have changed. The RC1 installer required administrative privileges, but the new installer does not. Use the following steps:
1. Open Control Panel
2. Select Add/Remove Programs
3. Select Google Web Toolkit Developer Plugin for IE and click uninstall
4. During your next attempt to use GWT 2.0 development mode in IE, you will be prompted to install the GWT Developer Plugin, which will download an updated installer that does not require administrative privileges

We are eager to get your feedback, both good and bad, in the Google Web Toolkit Developer Forum:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit

If you find specific bugs to report, please do so at the GWT Issue Tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues

Cheers,
John LaBanca, on behalf of the GWT team

armogur

Nov 25, 2009, 5:22:45 PM11/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
is it possible, that java.util.Date behaves differently in devmode
than production mode?

i am using hungarian locale, and the getTimezoneOffset() function
gives me different values on a Date object in devmode than production
mode!

On nov. 25, 21:52, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're getting close! GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 and Google Plugin for
> Eclipse 1.2 RC2 are now available for you to try.
>
> Download the GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=gw...

Sekhar

Nov 25, 2009, 4:22:46 PM11/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
That was quick, thanks! All the issues I had (error loading module, FF
not working, etc.) are gone; but I'm still having trouble with IE8: it
installs, but keeps saying the plugin isn't installed. I'd uninstalled
in Control Panel as suggested, and the new plugin is on the list now,
but IE keeps asking for a plugin. Anyone else?

On Nov 25, 12:52 pm, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're getting close! GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 and Google Plugin for
> Eclipse 1.2 RC2 are now available for you to try.
>
> Download the GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=gw...

Open eSignForms

Nov 25, 2009, 6:40:46 PM11/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks for RC2. I'm giving a try right now and it so far so good.

Was there no change to the Firefox extension? Just checking since it
was crashing FF pretty frequently under RC1.

pjulien

Nov 26, 2009, 10:22:01 AM11/26/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm still unable to do any RPC calls using glassfish. I still get a
parse error here:

WebModule[/WebApplication2]GWTService: ERROR: Failed to parse the
policy file '/org.yournamehere.Main/
D9C04143458C6B143A3BEFA60D252A85.gwt.rpc'
java.text.ParseException: Expected: className, [true | false]
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.SerializationPolicyLoader.loadFromStream
(SerializationPolicyLoader.java:116)

Switching the server to Tomcat with my sample application works
however

On Nov 25, 3:52 pm, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're getting close! GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 and Google Plugin for
> Eclipse 1.2 RC2 are now available for you to try.
>
> Download the GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=gw...

pjulien

Nov 26, 2009, 10:49:27 AM11/26/09
to Google Web Toolkit
OK, this issue was actually that I had other projects in the app
server running with GWT 1.7. It seems we can't run both side by
side. The problem arises if the jar is pre-deployed or directly in
another war

- Ray

Nov 26, 2009, 10:31:19 AM11/26/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've got the same issue as you did. The same Date Object gives me the Time with different TImezone, sometimes with CET, sometimes with UTC. It happens randomly. Now i am using Calender instead of Date.

Feldman, Nir

Nov 26, 2009, 1:38:00 PM11/26/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Is there any rough estimation on the timeline for releasing GWT 2.0?

Thanks,

Nir

kabram

Nov 30, 2009, 4:15:07 PM11/30/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I have a class Foo in com.mycompany.myapp.client that is annotated
with @Bar where bar is defined in com.mycompany.myapp.client.gwt.rpc.
The GWT compiler complains that it cannot find Bar. Is this a compiler
bug? The compiler is able to see other classes in
com.mycompany.myapp.client.gwt.rpc.

My module lives under com.mycompany.myapp.

Open eSignForms

Dec 1, 2009, 1:12:29 PM12/1/09
to Google Web Toolkit
It seems that my FF 3.5.5 is still crashing from time to time under
RC2. It even crashes when I'm not doing something explicitly with the
browser, such as restarts in Eclipse.

Chris Ramsdale

Dec 1, 2009, 1:31:06 PM12/1/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
We're aware of the Firefox plugin crashes and are actively working on a fix. The issue can be tracked here:

Problems such as this can be frustrating and we appreciate everyone's patience.

Open eSignForms

Dec 1, 2009, 8:13:35 PM12/1/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hoping that the Firefox plugin update that just occurred for FF 3.5.5
here will resolve this. At least when it crashes it checks for
updates <smile>. I'll keep you posted on my experience. You guys are
great. Thanks!

Open eSignForms

Dec 1, 2009, 11:07:39 PM12/1/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Quick update: the new FF plugin seems to be working great. I've not
used it enough to be sure, but it has not crashed since updating it.
I have seen it run a bit slow after code changes and a reload, but it
does resolve and continue to run perfectly.

Being able to debug/test in FF with Firebug is a real gift and makes
the 1.7 to 2.0 transition worth it by itself.

Thank you much. This is really terrific....

Célio

Dec 2, 2009, 6:37:15 AM12/2/09
to Google Web Toolkit
yay! cheers, you guys rock!

(eagerly waiting for RC2 to be published on maven repo1)

On 25 nov, 18:52, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're getting close! GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 and Google Plugin for
> Eclipse 1.2 RC2 are now available for you to try.
>
> Download the GWT 2.0 SDK RC2 here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=gw...

Nilesh

Dec 4, 2009, 12:53:13 PM12/4/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Everyone,

I am working with one of the reputed software companies in India.
Recently I heard from one of my friends that google would stop
supporting GWT and start promoting Smart GWT. In our product
technology stack we have GWT and some other applications. if google
stops supporting GWT, what would the steps users would need to migrate
to Smart GWT?

can somebody answer my questions please?

Thanks
Nilesh

Chris Ramsdale

Dec 5, 2009, 9:51:20 PM12/5/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Google has no intention of dropping support for GWT. Instead we will continue to add features and functionality, much like we are doing with the 2.0 release of GWT. There's no reason to worry that the toolkit that you have invested in will be deprecated.

Thanks,
Chris

Yozons Support on Gmail

Dec 6, 2009, 1:58:05 PM12/6/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Who started that rumor? SmartClient folks?  ;)

What's not clear to me about SmartGWT, interesting as it seems, is why does it use GWT at all?  It seems that they suggest you don't use GWT-RPC and don't mix with GWT widgets, so what exactly is GWT doing in a SmartGWT world?

Sanjiv Jivan

Dec 6, 2009, 5:07:04 PM12/6/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yozons Support on Gmail,
GWT is different things for different people. GWT is not only about use of the widgets provided in the core library, or the use of GWT-RPC. These are just one of numerous features that GWT provides. The ability to write GWT application code in Java and IDE support is a huge productivity gain.

GWT-RPC is no doubt super convenient and easy to make RPC calls and share classes on the client side and server side. However there are usecases that SmartGWT / SmartClient transport protocol currently supports that are not fully supported by GWT-RPC currently.

For example Transaction Queueing. I believe GWT is adding some batching functionality as well and I'm looking forward to checking it out. More info here : http://www.jroller.com/sjivan/entry/introduction_to_smartgwt_enterprise_edition

Smart GWT also eliminates the need for having redundant Data Transfer Object (DTO's) while at the same time having a rich domain model in a very elegant way. More on this here : http://www.jroller.com/sjivan/entry/solving_the_dto_dilemma

If you are happy with using GWT-RPC with DTO's or with Gilead, by all means go for it. Infact there is a user extension for a GWTRPCDataSource provider that allows you to use GWT-RPC as the DataSource provided for all Smart GWT components.

As for intermixing of GWT widgets, obviously the goal is to provide 100% interoperability with all other GWT libraries, include the widgets in GWT itself. Infact Smart GWT does support interoperability with GWT widgets but with some caveats like one should not place GWT widgets within a Smart GWT container that is in turn within a GWT widget container. There are certain contracts that the Smart GWT layout management expects which GWT widgets are unaware of and are not able to participate in. Infact there will be similar limitations with most third party libraries that provide their own layout management schemes.

So to answer your question, Smart GWT is a library that allows you to write applications using the GWT technology. Have a look at the features it provides, feel free to ask any questions you have on the Smart GWT forum and if you feel your application may benefit from it, you're free to use it. And if not, just ignore it.

Sanjiv

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Yozons Support on Gmail <yoz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Who started that rumor? SmartClient folks?  ;)

What's not clear to me about SmartGWT, interesting as it seems, is why does it use GWT at all?  It seems that they suggest you don't use GWT-RPC and don't mix with GWT widgets, so what exactly is GWT doing in a SmartGWT world?

Sanjiv Jivan

Dec 6, 2009, 5:13:40 PM12/6/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Nilesh,
You're just being paranoid. Your "friend" does not know what he's talking about :) Smart GWT is based on GWT and if GWT disappeared, so would Smart GWT. Neither of which is actually going to happen.

Sanjiv

yogesh patel

Dec 6, 2009, 5:52:46 PM12/6/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
:)

Nilesh Patwardhan

Dec 7, 2009, 1:04:05 AM12/7/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, nikun...@gmail.com
Hey Chris,

Status Update This project is no longer under active development and has been superseded by Smart GWT. Assistance will be provided to existing users of GWT-Ext looking to migrate to Smart GWT.
We are using GWT-Ext in our project and when we were looking at the website, we saw the comment i mentioned above. How much is the effort we have to migrate from GWT-Ext to Smart GWT? can you please elaborate on that?

Thanks
   Nilesh

Abdullah Shaikh

Dec 7, 2009, 2:22:22 AM12/7/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
You are mixing things, GWT is different, so is SmartGWT & GWT-Ext. You first mail itself was wrong, now we know you meant GWT-Ext.

Regarding the migration effort, I think the message in your mail itself is clear enough, you need to ask this question in the Smart GWT forum, but if some one from this forum answers that's fine.

- Abdullah

elliot

Dec 9, 2009, 11:00:40 AM12/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit