Mac, GWT Hosted Mode does not work after switching to gwt 2.0 and back to 1.7.1

Zoltán Törteli

Dec 11, 2009, 9:11:27 PM12/11/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Dear All!

On Mac, Eclipse 3.4 I have noticed a painful situation:
1. With GWT 1.7.1 create the starter app, and test it in Hosted mode.
Works fine.
2. Switching to gwt 2.0 - and testing in dev mode, it sometimes does
sometimes does not work for me.... I don't know why.
3. Switching back to gwt 1.7.1, it does not work in Hosted Mode - two
things appear:
a) "F4MUpdateCheck: Connection failed! Error - bad URL (null)" -
in the console
b) "GWT Develeper Plugin Active" show up in the status bar of the
hosted browser.

I believe the "F4MUpdateCheck" fault is the result of the plugin
get loaded there....???

I could handle this, only by creating a completely new project, with
gwt 1.7.1, and copying the existing sources to there. Than it was
again working fine.

Does anyone have a clue why is it like this?

Sorinel C

Dec 13, 2009, 4:06:27 PM12/13/09
to Google Web Toolkit
It's simple ... hosted mode uses the default browser of your OS
(windows ~ IE, linux ~ FF ).
So, first of all clean up the browser cache ... then launch a full
rebuild of the project after you change the libraries ... and the
hosted mode will come back, as you knew it :-)

BTW, better check out why your application doesn't work well with 2.0,
'cause it's better to use newest features ... new resources, faster
splitting, etc

Cheers,
Sorinel CRISTESCU

Zoltán Törteli

Dec 14, 2009, 8:01:29 AM12/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thank you Sorinel!

Unfortunately deleting the content of the browser did not solve it (I
have deleted everything except cookies, and passwords).

I have deleted the Safari plugin earlier, adn when trying to run this
project, it tries to download the plugin and issues the
"F4MUpdateCheck". While all the project settings seam to be the same
with an other - as I Described above, how did I create a running
version of the project..... and of course the project name and access
path had to be changed....

As I tried, to delete the project, create a new one with the same name
and copy the sources back. it did not work.
Is it possible that eclipse stores the project lib and other date
other location than .project adn .classpath ?

Otherwise my app issues an "Invalid memory access of location 0x8
eip=0x4a8aeb" - if using gwt 2.0 (also I am using gxt 2.1.0 with it)
As a note here, the gxt sample app runs fine with gwt 2.0. So I have
no clue what is the problem..

Do you have any further idea?

Z.

Jason Parekh

Dec 14, 2009, 11:29:51 AM12/14/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Zoltan, have you tried deleting your Launch Configurations? You can
find these via the Run > Debug Configurations.

After you delete the old one(s) for your project, you can go back to
the main Eclipse window, right-click on your project, and choose Debug
As > Web Application.

jason

2009/12/14 Zoltán Törteli <tor...@gmail.com>:

Zoltán Törteli

Dec 14, 2009, 1:25:15 PM12/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
HI!

Unfortunately deleting the Launch Config did not help...
However, you have given me a good idea!

I have changed the name of the html page, and the module. And it
started to work eventually. (I have tried to delete the files under
the <module>/*.* - like *.nocache.js, etc, and class files, but it did
not help, unless changed the module name )

It seamed, with different name, and path to the <module>.nocache.js
file it worked. With the same name it did not.
Seamingly, there is some "hidden" browser cache, that was no way to
delete...... so when changing the name the app did run.

When changing to gwt-2.0, it still gives the "Invalid memory access of
location 0x8 eip=0x4a8aeb"- that I have no clue why - maybe the gxt
library has something to do with it (but then, why does it work with
the gxt sample app..???), but (!) when changing back to gwt 1.7.1 and
rebuilding, and deleting the launch config, it does work! :)

Thank for your help, and for all of yours attention!

Now, I remain with only one issue: why does it give "Invalid memory
access of location 0x8 eip=0x4a8aeb".

Any clue, what it could be?

Z.

On Dec 14, 5:29 pm, Jason Parekh <jasonpar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Zoltan, have you tried deleting your Launch Configurations?  You can
> find these via the Run > Debug Configurations.
>
> After you delete the old one(s) for your project, you can go back to
> the main Eclipse window, right-click on your project, and choose Debug
> As > Web Application.
>
> jason

Shawn Brown

Dec 15, 2009, 4:22:06 AM12/15/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
> Now, I remain with only one issue: why does it give "Invalid memory
> access of location 0x8 eip=0x4a8aeb".
>
> Any clue, what it could be?

I have a similar environment -- OSX Leopard, GWT 2, Gxt 2.1. It's fine.

A user on the GXT forums complained GXT2.1 and GWT didn't work so I
tried the simple example .

I got an error similiar to yours. The GXT forums are down now so I
can't link to it.

Anyway, the odd thing was I only got the error when the GXT code was
at the very beginning of the onModuleLoad method. If it were near the
end or outside of it GXT code ran fine.

Maybe this is why the GXT examples run but yours doesn't -- just a
guess and I don't know the reason.

Anyway, I read you post but don't understand your set-up. For 2.0GWT
I use dev mode and not hosted mode any longer.

Shawn

Sunshine Rain

Dec 15, 2009, 8:55:18 AM12/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm having the same problem. I'm using Leopard. My wife's computer
has Snow Leopard installed and it works. I've tried various
permutations
of Java settings, but I still get the following:
Invalid memory access of location 0x8 eip=0x4a8aeb

Looks like a Snow Leopard upgrade is in my future.

see ya,
Robbie

Zoltán Törteli

Dec 15, 2009, 9:37:43 AM12/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi there,

I posted to the list, but it doesn't seem to have been approved yet,
so I figured I'd send a reply directly to you.

I spend a few hours looking into the same "Invalid memory access of
location 0x8 eip=0x4a8aeb" problem yesterday. What I found out is that
there seems to be a dependency on the order of class loading. If
com.extjs.gxt.ui.client.widget.Layout is loaded too late, the
classloader dies.

I added the following to the beginning of my module's onModuleLoad()
method to force Layout to load before my subclasses are loaded.

@SuppressWarnings("unused")
Layout junk = new AnchorLayout();

I tried using Class.forName(), but that didn't seem to fix it -- only
explicitly referencing the class did.

Let me know if this fix also works for you.

BTW, are you running on a Mac as well?

- sekhar

Zoltán Törteli

Dec 15, 2009, 9:39:29 AM12/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I forgot to note, that the gentleman have sent me his solution, I
wanted to provide it here - so you can have it too.... until his
response appears.

ciyer

Dec 14, 2009, 2:52:36 PM12/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I spent a few hours chasing down the "Invalid memory access of
location 0x8..." problem today as well.

What I ended up doing was putting in:

@SuppressWarnings("unused")
Layout junk = new AnchorLayout();

At the very beginning of the onModuleLoad() method on my module's
entry point.

There seems to be some dependency issue, and the class
com.extjs.gxt.ui.client.widget.Layout needs to be loaded before some
other classes, otherwise the classloader dies when it later tries to
load Layout.

I'd be curious to know if it also works for you. Are you also working
on a Mac?

- sekhar

Sunshine Rain

Dec 15, 2009, 5:26:42 PM12/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Wow! Thank you very much. It worked for me just as you described!

see ya,
Robbie

Micha Roon

Jan 9, 2010, 4:54:11 PM1/9/10
to Google Web Toolkit
waouwww thank you, that was easy. I would never have found it on me
own though. so many thanks for the easy solution.

I am on a mac (Mac OS X 10.5.8) and was just fighting with the same
issue.

Bruno Unna

Jan 15, 2010, 8:37:08 AM1/15/10
to Google Web Toolkit
It worked like a charm. Thank you very much.

The problem at stake is a cryptic one, though. How come the
classloader can make this kind of mistake? Or who is to blame?

Regards.

Alexander

Jan 15, 2010, 11:01:27 AM1/15/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Classloaders in webserver works different way. Maybe you could dig something up there.

2010/1/15 Bruno Unna <bruno...@gmail.com>

Regards,
Alexander